Conkers don't work

Daftmare

Featured Posts

Hi all

Our new mooring seems to be a haven for spiders and we are seeing them in the boat in bigger numbers than ever before. We have tried conkers on all the window ledges, etc. but this has not reduced the visitor numbers

I just wondered if anyone living afloat has some tips on what to use to deter (but not kill) spiders.

Thanks

Jo

If you get spiders which are big enough to play conkers then you really have got problems.

It's a good sign to have spiders in your boat. They like dry surroundings, so it's an indication that your boat's interior isn't damp.

Yes, have always considered that having spiders was a sign that the boat is not damp, would just like to have less of them living in my curtains.

We don't live on board, otherwise we would definitely have a cat, although not sure the cat would help much with this.

J.

Unless they are marmalade cats?

Greeno!

(Yer daft 'ap'orth).

I beg to differ, I caught our Mr G holding both a pen and a pair of scissors in his little paws recently. I'm sure he'd be totally able to play conkers.

So you told him that he was a write-off and that he should just cut that out.

Well, they're quite good at chasing bits of string, so that's a start.

haven't tried it myself, but someone told me to use Peppermint oil around the doors & windows. We had loads of them when we were moored in the marina, but have only seen a couple over the winter on the cut

We evicted quite a few stowaways last weekend.

Luckily Liam is a good bailiff.

Thanks will try puncturing the conkers then, and put out a bit of citrus. Has anyone tried peppermint oil?

Thanks for the laughs too.

J.

Gosh, someone else whose sense of humour is down at the level of mine and Mr. Point's. I guess that your forum name should have been a clue.

have they been stuck through with pins? wacko.png

If you stick the spiders through with pins then surely you dont need conkers?

Might get larger relatives coming in to take revenge though :)

Edited by grannykins

Perhaps you could rig the conkers up like Newtons Model on the mooring ropes, (yer no the one with the metal balls on some fishing line that smack together), then the spiders could play at being Indiana Jones as they try to get past. :-).