Orange / EE contract customers...BEWARE !

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Now..I know in some ways..this is my fault for not being 'on the ball' so please don't criticise that.

I know that many of you are on phone contracts..and maybe (being mobile)..not so 'hot' on any sudden changes in your bank account.

I have just had a huge row with them (Orange /EE ) ...whom I have been with for 20 years.

I had gotten to the end of my contract (not realised) and they essentially doubled the price without telling me.

Suddenly large amounts were disappearing from the bank. I 'put it to them' that they are a mobile phone company and could send a text that would cost them nothing....saying that your contract was coming to an end...but apparently this isn't policy'.

They say its up to customers to ensure they know when the contract ends and phone them to talk about a cheaper contract. I once again 'put it to them' that this was done deliberatly to obtain a few months of extra money..and the advisor said 'yes..it could be seen that way'..which of course IS THE WAY !!!

I also asked why I was switched to such a large amount contract..(double my previous) and the girl said that 'No..it wasn't an appropriate 'plan' for my usage..but hey ho...I would have to pay it'. ..but she could switch me to a more appropriate plan...(how nice..when I had previosuly been on an appropriate plan !!)

No 'sorry'..no refunds..

I shall never use EE (Orange) again.

Keep an eye on it folks !!

Sorry that this happened to you, I am not defending them but my contract(s) ran out and they just carried on as usual for months.

I renewed them at my convenience and got reductions and increased allowances on both of them.

On one they even increased the allowance a second time, after I contacted them,because a week later a different offerer appeared.

The OP's tale contrasts a great deal with my own experience of Orange/EE on contract. Same company, same phone no for 20-odd years, but I occasionally upgraded the handset. A few years ago Orange introduced a system whereby they 'checked' to see if you were still on the most beneficial rate - and I always was.

I was out of contract from about 2013, but the same competitive rates were still charged. I decided to upgrade from a clockwork Nokia to a smartphone early this year. The phone arrived within 48 hours and was up and running in minutes (same number). The monthly bill is actually about a pound cheaper, for five times as many minutes and unlimited texts, as well as 'data' (Wifi usage at home is effectively free, of course because it's already paid for, with a different supplier).

The EE web site is now a bit trickier to get into than the old Orange one, but I surmise that makes it more difficult for those with criminal intent too.

But it does make me wonder - do people not check their monthly bills? It's very easy to do (you could even set up a reminder), and it's very difficult to miss a doubling in charges!

All in all, a good example by EE of how to do it.

ETA - Bottle, I'm not in the least bit surprised!

Edited by Machpoint005

Now..I know in some ways..this is my fault for not being 'on the ball' so please don't criticise that.

I know that many of you are on phone contracts..and maybe (being mobile)..not so 'hot' on any sudden changes in your bank account.

I have just had a huge row with them (Orange /EE ) ...whom I have been with for 20 years.

I had gotten to the end of my contract (not realised) and they essentially doubled the price without telling me.

Suddenly large amounts were disappearing from the bank. I 'put it to them' that they are a mobile phone company and could send a text that would cost them nothing....saying that your contract was coming to an end...but apparently this isn't policy'.

They say its up to customers to ensure they know when the contract ends and phone them to talk about a cheaper contract. I once again 'put it to them' that this was done deliberatly to obtain a few months of extra money..and the advisor said 'yes..it could be seen that way'..which of course IS THE WAY !!!

I also asked why I was switched to such a large amount contract..(double my previous) and the girl said that 'No..it wasn't an appropriate 'plan' for my usage..but hey ho...I would have to pay it'. ..but she could switch me to a more appropriate plan...(how nice..when I had previosuly been on an appropriate plan !!)

No 'sorry'..no refunds..

I shall never use EE (Orange) again.

I binned off Orange last year after 17 years with them as both pay as you go and contract customer for the same reasons asyou.

I went to Tesco (provided by o2) for a better contract and a third of the price Orange were charging me - Robbing gits!

Sorry that this happened to you, I am not defending them but my contract(s) ran out and they just carried on as usual for months.

I renewed them at my convenience and got reductions and increased allowances on both of them.

On one they even increased the allowance a second time, after I contacted them,because a week later a different offerer appeared.

This is exactly as 'for me'..but look at 'Gazzas' comments below.

Something seems to 'happen' when you have been with them for a long time.

Up until the end of my last contract...I got 'loyalty minutes'...and notifications when a contract was to end.

They also..carried on after the contract end..at the same rate...I never had to contact them.

I also..used to received the 'beneficial rate' notifications..to say I was on the best rate.

When I put this to the 'advisor' this morning...she was totally blank..and said they no longer send such notifications ?

She also said..they no longer do 'loyalty minutes' and when your contract ends..they will switch you to another contract without telling you (as in my case....a VERY expensive...and in her words..'inappropriate contract'..for my usage )

Watch out..this seems to be the latest policy !

Up until the end of my last contract...I got 'loyalty minutes'...and notifications when a contract was to end.

They also..carried on after the contract end..at the same rate...I never had to contact them.

I also..used to received the 'beneficial rate' notifications..to say I was on the best rate.

When I put this to the 'advisor' this morning...she was totally blank..and said they no longer send such notifications ?

She also said..they no longer do 'loyalty minutes' and when your contract ends..they will switch you to another contract without telling you (as in my case....a VERY expensive...and in her words..'inappropriate contract'..for my usage )

That's interesting, thanks for the further explanation. Perhaps I happened to make the change at just the right moment!

That's interesting, thanks for the further explanation. Perhaps I happened to make the change at just the right moment!

As you can see.....I never had reason to be over vigilant monitoring contract end...as it would always carry on at the same rate.

On one occasion many years ago..when I was overcharged..it was 'so sorry' we'll refund you.

NOT NOW !!

It's 'sorry...but there is small print..and so its your fault !"

Exactly the same here!!

My wife was alos with orange for a similar length of time and got stitched up like me and Bobbybass, glad you didnt fall foul of it!

As you can see.....I never had reason to be over vigilant monitoring contract end...as it would always carry on at the same rate.

On one occasion many years ago..when I was overcharged..it was 'so sorry' we'll refund you.

NOT NOW !!

It's 'sorry...but there is small print..and so its your fault !"

Tesco will no doubt end up with a load of disgruntled customers in the next little while!

To be fair, that applies to most types of service contract (landline, gas, electricity, boiler service, water, drainage...).

Well no, they all keep me informed by post, and any changes in pricing are explained. It sounds as if this one not only came right out of the blue, but the OP was not informed of the steep price increase.

Well no, they all keep me informed by post, and any changes in pricing are explained. It sounds as if this one not only came right out of the blue, but the OP was not informed of the steep price increase.

Sorry, my meaning wasn't clear enough -- I was suggesting that you had to keep an eye on all of them, regardless of whether or how often they contact you.

It's worth having a look at Three (3) PAYG which will charge you 3p per minute to any network, 2p per text message and 1p per MB data.

Dave

This is what I am on and it has saved me fortune not paying for hundreds of minutes and texts I never used, as for data much is done over wi-fi and even when using 3 or 4 g it doesn't break the bank. 4 g doesn't cost any more either. Plus if you go abroad and buy an add on before you go it costs no more than using your phone at home in loads of countries including popular destinations like France and now Spain.

It's pretty hard to beat TBH.

Thanks for the heads up - we are also with EE (old T-Mobile) and I believe my contract is about to come up for renewal, they do in fairness normally call to try to get me to either upgrade my phone or my contract, or have done for the past 16 years.

I'll keep a closer eye on my bank account for the next couple of months

Ta

Rather than - or perhaps as well as - come on to forums to complain -

• Demand to talk to a supervisor
  • if that doesn't work or the operative won't connect you -
  • ask for a deadlock letter
  • Then go to the ombudsman. You might get lucky and get some agreement.

OK - it's a tedious process and you'll have to put up a good case. If enough folks do get a settlement then the offending company may be obliged to change their tune.

Otherwise they'll run rings around you. That's what 'they' are relying on.

Thanks for the heads up - we are also with EE (old T-Mobile) and I believe my contract is about to come up for renewal, they do in fairness normally call to try to get me to either upgrade my phone or my contract, or have done for the past 16 years.

I'll keep a closer eye on my bank account for the next couple of months

Ta

If you keep an eye on your EE account online, you've a chance of catching it before it's too late.

EE are a bag of old Socks and are going to get worse as BT are buying them. I have been with Orange since 92 and have just canceled and gone to Giff Gaff.

Wow So much nicer, Cheaper and I get 4G in my area.

Incidentally when I rang to get the PAC code to move my number to GiffGaff the young man who worked at EE he agreed with me and said he was goign to leave too as soon as BT took them over.

Bob

EE are a bag of old Socks and are going to get worse as BT are buying them. I have been with Orange since 92 and have just canceled and gone to Giff Gaff.

Wow So much nicer, Cheaper and I get 4G in my area.

Incidentally when I rang to get the PAC code to move my number to GiffGaff the young man who worked at EE he agreed with me and said he was goign to leave too as soon as BT took them over.

Bob

Let's hope his call wasn't being monitored by a supervisor or he will probably find he is leaving sooner than he thought.

If you keep an eye on your EE account online, you've a chance of catching it before it's too late.

And for the rest of us that dont spend time micro managing all the stuff that goes with modern life?

Car insurance renewals have to inform you of your renewal price by post, why should EE be any different at contract renewal time?

And for the rest of us that dont spend time micro managing all the stuff that goes with modern life?

Car insurance renewals have to inform you of your renewal price by post, why should EE be any different at contract renewal time?

We'll have to agree to differ there -- it's not micromanaging, just managing. Unless your money happens to be so unimportant to you that it doesn't matter.

Better still, sign up to www.billmonitor.com and enter your relevant details. It will email you to alert you to other, cheaper/more suitable contracts according to your phone use.

That's what we used in the end. Far easier than DIY :-)

We'll have to agree to differ there -- it's not micromanaging, just managing. Unless your money happens to be so unimportant to you that it doesn't matter.

I don't have to check my car insurance is ripping me off - they write and tell me!

I've got a busy life, seldom time to post here at some points, worrying about EE con tricks shouldn't be a part of it!

As TalkTalk customers my missus and I get a 12 month half price sim each for £3.50 pm, (total £7 pm) when the 12 months was nearly up they phoned us to see if we wanted to carry on at the full price or take a new half price contract. We opted for a new one and they sent new sims and took care of changing them over to our old numbers. Quite impressed, though it is early days and they could slide back in the future.

Despit that I would prefer to use my Three PAYG 321sim if there was a decent signal here.