20 kilometres cc

Titan

Featured Posts

serious post, sorry!

I thought they stated 20 miles?

And it's not the sum of distance travelled but a minimum (20 mile) range. So doing 2 miles x 10 but within a 20 mile range wouldn't qualify.

At least, that's what's been bantered about lately.

And I've got 5.5 precious years until 65 :-)

We investigated caravan parks at one stage in our lives.

Quite a lot throw you off once your van is 10 years old.

Buy a new one or use the exit seems to be the approach

Don't suggest it to C&RT or they'll have us buying new boats. No licence for anuthong over 10 years old!

Oh yes, I was wondering, in London when the new vehicle emissions charges come in, what are they going to charge boats like mine with 40 year old smokey taxi engines in them laugh.png

What they have said is that if you have an annual range of less than 15 or 20km, and don't move regularly over a significant proportion of that range, you will find it very hard to convince them that you are indulging in bona fide navigation as required by your licence if you declare that you have no home mooring. If they don't consider you to be moving enough, they will contact you, and in extremis, will refuse to renew your licence unless you take a mooring.

In other words, they want to see you and log you in 2 places at least 15 miles apart, and not shuttling between places a couple of miles apart for the rest of the time you're "cruising".

At the risk of sending the OP to sleep, in which case I expect to get 'ZZZZZ' at the very least, is there a consensus of views on here of what we feel ought to be an acceptable cruising pattern/ range /distance? Perhaps we could set up a bidding system and CRT could simply take the best 3,000 offers and give those the ' CC' licence. The rest of us would have to find a mooring. To make it 'reasonable in the circumstances' each bid must specify the Canal, the state of the navigation, the likelihood of stoppages, the time of year, the number of hire boat bases ......

Mmm having second thoughts about posting this, CRT might just think it a good idea.

We investigated caravan parks at one stage in our lives.

Quite a lot throw you off once your van is 10 years old.

Buy a new one or use the exit seems to be the approach

The costs involved on some caravan parks make boat ownership look cheap blink.png

So...If I (move,cruise,navigate) at least 20km in a license year, I qualify guide lines for constant cruising ??............

Just so long as there is at least 50km between each of the 20 kilometres . . .

Edited by Mike Todd

I read an article in towpath back pages stating 20km was the number of miles to travel to prove you are constant cruising ? I pay for a mooring to keep within the rules and stay on it most of time as the rebuild continues, many around me appear not to have a mooring on the Glos sharpness canal. Now I may join them, perhaps saul marina will empty also as we can cruise from gloucester 16 miles to sharpness and back if we choose and then all over again , staying 2 weeks at a time along the way? Saving a small fortune in mooring fees. And abiding bi the rules?...confused

As I use my phone to access the net, I have only just read the other comments, thankyou to you all. I shall decide weather renew my moorings in July or just move along the cut. ?

So...If I (move,cruise,navigate) at least 20km in a license year, I qualify guide lines for constant cruising ??............

If you move the 20Km constantly (as opposed to once a year), probably yes.

But possibly no.

Hope that helps...

(Please let us know if they renew your licence.)

As it's possible to be genuinely CCing hundreds of miles in a year and still get targeted due to the poor tracking, I doubt the distance matters much. You're just reducing the risk of being picked on by travelling further.

As it's supposedly all about intent then it's probably not wise to ask the question!

Titan, you need to read the new terms and conditions which will apply to boaters with a home mooring from the 1st of May. They seem to say that while they're not at your home mooring, the same rules that apply to boaters without a home mooring will apply to them as well, with the only difference being that when you visit your home mooring, all the enforcement clocks start afresh when you leave.

It seems that some think that CRT are breaking the law by applying this new condition, but to prove this theory either way, it will need to be tested in court by a boater starting a case alleging a breach of the 1995 Act and contesting CRT's decision to refuse them a renewal of or a new licence due to the boater's breach of their licence conditions. This will be expensive.

CaRT advice is clearly stated in MILES.

Not fecking Km.

I am sooooooo glad you posted this. I so hate the fact that in Britain too many peeps use foreign measurements, after all road signs etc etc etc are in mph not kms what ever they are.

Tim

As it's possible to be genuinely CCing hundreds of miles in a year and still get targeted due to the poor tracking, I doubt the distance matters much. You're just reducing the risk of being picked on by travelling further.

As it's supposedly all about intent then it's probably not wise to ask the question!

I am sooooooo glad you posted this. I so hate the fact that in Britain too many peeps use foreign measurements, after all road signs etc etc etc are in mph not kms what ever they are.

Tim

I know, out with all that foreign Roman muck of miles and inches, and back to the good old leagues.