Wolverhampton coal haulage firm - Swifts?

jp1885

Featured Posts

Hi all.

I'm currently looking into the family tree, especially my two great-grandads from Wolverhampton. Can anyone help me wih the following?

Great-grandad John Hodson, b. 1878. I know he lived in Ward Street and later Horseley Fields, and worked as a canal boatman. According to my nan, he used to transport coal from the coalfields to Wolverhampton power station, working for a company called 'Swift' - he died when she was young and she is now 99 years of age, so is a bit vague on the subject!

Does anyone know if there was a canal transport/haulage company called 'Swifts' or something similar?

Thanks in advance!

I have extracted the following from the Birmingham Canal Navigations Company gauge registers:-

C. Swift, Wolverhampton

05/08/1914 - BCN 22154 - GERTRUDE - open wood - late gauge number BCN 14301

15/02/1915 - BCN 22273 - (not named) - cabin wood

27/08/1915 - BCN 22370 - IRENE 2 - open wood - late gauge number BCN 12323

08/06/1917 - BCN 22693 - IRENE 2 - open wood - cut up 1929

05/10/1917 - BCN 22780 - GERTRUDE - open wood - cut up 1929

W. Swift, (address not given)

(undated change of owner) - BCN 714 - MAGGIE - cabin wood - late gauge number BCN 18408 - cut up 1930

(undated change of owner - 23/03/1926 ?) - BCN 19995 - SUCCESS - cabin wood - cut up 1930

T. Swift, (address not given)

(undated change of owner) - BCN 892 - WHAT ABOUT IT - cabin wood - on hire from J. Yates

(undated change of owner) - BCN 1022 - TRENT - cabin wood - on hire from Harvey & Yates - cut up 1941

T. Swift and Son, (address not given)

(undated change of owner) - BCN 20175 - EVELYN 40 - cabin wood - late gauge number BCN 5403 - cut up 1933

I hope this helps captain.gif

• Greenie 1

Don't know if these are part of your tree before your G granddad but if you google Wolverhampton boat people & check St Marys & St George church

baptism records for several Hodson boatmen's children appear one living in 5ct Ward St.

Also St Marys church Norwood (grand union just above the Hanwell flight) in 1870 baptised Georgiana & Eli children of John & Mary Ann Hodson

• Greenie 1

• 7 years later...

Pete Harrison as always provided much useful information about the boats the Swift family operated. The development of Wolverhampton Generating station led to an increased demand for coal by boat. Wolverhampton did not have railway sidings. It would be interesting to know how the traffic fared during the May 1920 strike of boatmen.

In 1911 the census records Thomas Swift living at Shipton Street, Wolverhampton. Shipton Street was beside the Albion Mill and Fellows, Morton & Claytons Albion Wharf. but there was also a coal yard on the basin branch. As to Thomas Swift was this just a home, as many day boatmen lived on land unlike the carriers boats such as moored at Albion Wharf.