2UC - Ahead Clutch Adjustment

Matt B

Featured Posts

Hi

looking for a bit of advice.

Having adjusted the 4 adjuster screws on the ahead clutch I am not happy with the results. the gearbox goes into gear OK but coming out of gear there is quite a thump as if the whole lot has been under too much pressure. I haven't tested the pressure needed to engage the gear (as I haven't got hold of a spring balance yet) , the manual suggests it should take 70-75 lb at 2 feet but it doesn't feel excessive. That said this is the only 2UC I have experience of.

I have carefully followed the procedure in the manual (three times now) and it may be fine but..........

I wasn't keen on readjusting with say 1 rather than the proscribed 1.5 turns as I don't want the plates slipping.

One thing I have noticed is that with the 4 adjuster screws fully out (ie not projecting beyond the inside face of the levers) when I move the clutch sleeve forward into the in gear position the levers start to move the plungers in slightly. Again, this may be fine but.....

I decided to adjust the gear in the first place as it was always a bit fierce coming out of gear. Think I have made matters worse.

cheers

Matt

Morning Matt,

You have answered your own question really. The manual states a required force of 70-75 lb at 2' at the end of the process to ensure it is correctly adjusted. As you have said you havn't done this yet so you wont know if you have been successful. The 3UC I have recently done took several attempts to get right as some of the positions they ask for are a bit vague and not accurately defined.

I would suggest checking the lb as stated and if incorrect you will need to re-adjust until it is.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martin

Thanks, I sure you are right. I will acquire a spring balance and back of the adjuster screws if needs be. I guess that the 70-75 lb at 2 ft is a more accurate measure that the adjustment is correct than counting the turns on an adjuster screw.

cheers

Matt

Spot on, around 72 lb.

However with the engine running the force needed drops to just over 50 lb. The manual doesn't have anything to say on whether the test is done with the engine running or not.

I assume not?

Matt