online Crt moorings empty

b0atman

Featured Posts

Where I am moored for a few days on a 14 day mooring there is a section of long term moorings with empty spaces only one with a boat name reserving it now I doubt that all these boats are out but that the reality is they have not been let.

The visitor 48 hours are full each day one boat permanently there well more than 48 hours that I have been here.

The 14 days moorings are nearly full .

This leads to lots of boats being unable to moor (too narrow for breasting up) giving loss of trade to the local amenities.

Why can CRT not free up long term moorings for visitors if not rented.

Or maybe monitor situation and offer the CMers choice rent or move.

Where I am moored for a few days on a 14 day mooring there is a section of long term moorings with empty spaces only one with a boat name reserving it now I doubt that all these boats are out but that the reality is they have not been let.

The visitor 48 hours are full each day one boat permanently there well more than 48 hours that I have been here.

The 14 days moorings are nearly full .

This leads to lots of boats being unable to moor (too narrow for breasting up) giving loss of trade to the local amenities.

Why can CRT not free up long term moorings for visitors if not rented.

Or maybe monitor situation and offer the CMers choice rent or move.

Appearances can be deceptive though.

Ours has been empty since early March and will be until 17th May at the earliest which is when our agreement ends.

I am watching with interest to see how quickly it comes up for re-auction though as this seems to be an area CRT drag their heels on.

Places like the offside at Atherstone are 3/4 empty, problem is, the remaining boats space themselves over the entire length so you are tick over for 1/2 mile.

Blame the proliferation of marinas and BW/ CRT removing the online moorings without having the foresight to plan what to do with them once empty.

Whilst I agree that appearances can be deceptive there have too many empty spaces over the winter months for there not to be some truth in what Boatman says.

Indeed. I am just saying that it wont all be attributable to the suggested reason of them being unlet, other reasons may be in play too. I do think one of them is that lack of speed with which they turn them around after they become vacant, which is why I will be watching ours with interest.

Some (?most) undoubtedly will be because they are simply not taken up I am sure or haven't been offered up for auction for whatever reason.

Maybe crt should have them marked in lengths for moorers 70ftwould do then any vacant could have a for rent board with a 24 hr visitor moor

To be honest, one would be very hard pressed to find a 70ft mooring anywhere!

The nearest CART get to 70ft is 21.3 m, that gets you a 69.88 mooring which if you were 70 foot they wouldn't give you!

There are lots of odd sizes that CART use -

22m = 72.18 ft

21m = 68.89 ft

19.8m =64.96ft

Why is because of the metric system and probably someone sitting at a desk not knowing the general lengths of boats.

Others may have different ideas!

Nipper

Places like the offside at Atherstone are 3/4 empty, problem is, the remaining boats space themselves over the entire length so you are tick over for 1/2 mile.

Blame the proliferation of marinas and BW/ CRT removing the online moorings without having the foresight to plan what to do with them once empty.

I think we have to be honest and say that some are empty because people wonder why they are paying £1k+ for a mooring with no facilities (sometimes even on the towpath side so no security either) when others are "continuously cruising" for nothing.

I think we have to be honest and say that some are empty because people wonder why they are paying £1k+ for a mooring with no facilities (sometimes even on the towpath side so no security either) when others are "continuously cruising" for nothing.

Or looking at CRT prices in the south, £2k+

And what world are you living in? "continuously cruising" for nothing.

By Constant Cruisers, do you mean the ones that uphold the rules of CART?

Spend loads of money maintaining their boat, so that can CC?

Help Canal side businesses by buying their Diesel and other wants so they can CC?

Use the waterways 12 months of the year to help keep it working and report any problems to CART whilst they are traveling?

Visit lots of villages during that year buying from local shops etc?

I'm sure i have missed a few points!

Or do you mean the CC ers that bitch and argue on here about fines etc for not doing what they signed up to do in the first place?

Nipper

edited for some bad spelling and cus i was gettin agree!

Edited by nipper
  • Greenie 2

This is a particular bug bear of mine. There is getting on for a mile of empty moorings within the range I cruise. There is are 2 marinas in the offing; however funding fell through and Land and Water bought the land for one at the 11th hour; scraped enough with a JCB to call it "preliminary works" to stop the planning permission clock, put a fence around it and drove away.

With tens of moorings (I believe around 40) having been withdrawn and arbitrary decisions being made as to mooring availability there are, in effect, no available moorings for a considerable distance. Nor are there likely to be replacements in the foreseeable future.

I am thus stuck doing the fortnight shuffle until I can afford to commute (later this year fortunately) whereas had their policy been felxible enough to accommodate marina developments falling through it might not have been so much of a problem.

This is the third time, in the West Mids that this sad story has been enacted; landowner gets PP; online moorings are withdrawn yet the marina is never built. That in an area where the original consultation lamented the lack of moorings in the area.

If is a farce!

Edited by Smelly
  • Greenie 1

It seems perverse to remove the online moorings before the new marina is open for business. One of the reasons for removing the moorings is to drive boaters into the new marina. When moorings are withdrawn long in advance of construction, the boaters are driven out of the area instead.

I guess this could be argued as reasonable in the circumstances: "I'm CMing here because this new marina caused my CRT mooring to be taken away. I'm waiting here for the marina to open so I can have a mooring again".

ninja.gif

Ah yes, my £1k licence is nothing, as was my winter mooring.

Or as happens on my mooring boats end up where the canal is slightly more that 4 inches deep and stay there, slowly digging out their spot over time.

I actually want to move forward closer to the next boat but there is a large obstruction of some sort and it's taken months to get as close to the bank as I am now.

Hmmmmmmm I pay for this?

Yawn. Deja vu....

Don't worry, CRT are well on track to turn the cut into a sterile nature park, with short designated lengths where the likes of you will be allowed to keep a boat in a marina. And when your allocated time slot lets you out, there will be a designated space on the 48hr moorings waiting.

Yawn. Deja vu....

Don't worry, CRT are well on track to turn the cut into a sterile nature park, with short designated lengths where the likes of you will be allowed to keep a boat in a marina. And when your allocated time slot lets you out, there will be a designated space on the 48hr moorings waiting.

Yes, yawn.

All this is bitterness from you is getting tedious Luctor. Give it a rest, please.

Thank you.

MtB

• Greenie 1

Yes, yawn.

All this is bitterness from you is getting tedious Luctor. Give it a rest, please.

Thank you.

MtB

me, bitter? Not at all. Only pointing out that this whining about people getting away with not paying for a mooring etc etc is getting tedious. We have only just had about three threads of it last week or so.

And like it or not, the non stop whining has finally got results. First the CMers without a mooring, next the bridge hoppers with (ghhost) moorings, then the marina moorers who are mooring to often on the same 48hrs moorings....

Im not bitter. Im happy. Im paying peanuts for my mooring. Im not in the least bothered what other boaters pay, or not pay to moor near me. Im going boating without petty rules or restrictions next week. Im having a Sunday lunch cooked for me...

happy dayz.. ;-)

Yup.you can't beat it done it for 9 years now saved myself loads of money on a mooring that would have been empty.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Just to clarify the 1k that online moorers pay CC'rs pay as much if not more in diesel costs for the privilege of living in a non secure environment.

starman, on 05 Apr 2015 - 11:55 AM, said

Just to clarify the 1k that online moorers pay CC'rs pay as much if not more in diesel costs for the privilege of living in a non secure environment.

So how much do CRT get from your £1k in diesel costs?