Old Spot

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I fitted the boxing around the cables and water pipe that run along the edges of the floor. I finished building the fire surround, although I havn't fixed it in place yet or tiled it. And I made the plinth that goes under the kitchen units.

YLWolEAl.jpg

FCD6Zh2l.jpg

e7Fsfywl.jpg

S8s3gybl.jpg

xhKvhe2l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled out the shower tray last night. There was a little rotten wood around the waste pipe but everything was basically sound.

What I didn't expect to find was a load of gravel ballast! The base plate under the floor hatch at the back of the cabin is covered with slabs, so why gravel here and how much of it is there? This is a bit disappointing as I believe its not the best stuff to have under the floor.

However, it was dry and although there is rust down there, there is still the original red oxide paint too.

The shower used to sit above the floor, meaning that at 6'4" I could barely get in there. I want to lower it but as yet I am undecided how to do that.

tDIhjuwl.jpg

EisQ4xRl.jpg

64UUpyHl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While I am happy to have a go at most things, I do know my limitations. Thus, I employed skills and tools of a professional when it came to cutting my worktop.

Its cut from a 7' x 4' piece of butchers block that I 'acquired' a little while ago.

ZwN8OWdl.jpg

U07Gsb2l.jpg

iHPgLTOl.jpg

All it needs now is a light sanding and a lot of Danish oil.

While I am happy to have a go at most things, I do know my limitations. Thus, I employed skills and tools of a professional when it came to cutting my worktop.

Its cut from a 7' x 4' piece of butchers block that I 'acquired' a little while ago.

ZwN8OWdl.jpg

U07Gsb2l.jpg

iHPgLTOl.jpg

All it needs now is a light sanding and a lot of Danish oil.

What wood is that?

Tonight I managed to get the bathroom radiator fitted. It will have to come off again so I can do something with the wall, but for now it is in place.

tufD6aml.jpg

I have also finished refurbishing the shower tray. all the cracks and chips filled and painted with shower tray paint.

uUcLkDul.jpg

xqZOIl6l.jpg

That work top will out live the boat lol, been watching and really enjoying the blog, coming on a treat. would of had the stove on an angle though or facing inwards. Atleast your ready for winter ;)

That is oak end grain butchers block.

A word of advice from one with oak kitchen worktops:

Never ever put down on the worktop any iron or steel item if the worktop or the iron/steel item is even slightly wet. You will get a black stain in a very very short space of time. A Le Creuset lid that has just come off a pan of boiling vegetables will instantly imprint a black ring onto the worktop. You can get away with a dry iron item on a dry surface for a reasonable time, but sooner or later something will get spilt...

Danish Oil gives a good easy-to-apply finish, but offers absolutely no protection against iron stains. Once stained, the only answer is hours of rubbing down with sandpaper or wire wool, which will give you a lighter patch, which then needs several coats of reoiling and a few months exposure to sunlight to darken it back to the same (ish) colour as the surrounding wood.

Tonight, I panelled the wall beside the bed so that I could plumb In the radiator. I know that the 'dog leg' in the pipe isn't ideal, but when I filled the system with water and set a small fire going, both the bedroom and bathroom rads started to warm up. So I guess it must be working.

imOo4lJl.jpg

G4kmHDYl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the worktop cracked on the journey to the boat but was soon glued and clamped. Looks rather good, I think.

sl296UTl.jpg

F5Z18jSl.jpg

Y9Spyvgl.jpg

I bought a bag of drawer knobs to use as finials on the curtain poles. I glued a bit of plastic hose to them and then glued them onto the 22mm copper pipe. Just need painting.

ibLQtyVl.jpg

faa3Ufjl.jpg

Every time I walked into the bedroom, I cracked my shin on the boxed in section next to the bed. I pulled it apart and found a kerb stone and a dozen house bricks. The bricks I dumped as they really don't weigh that much, but the kerb is much needed ballast on that side of the boat. I managed to break it in two and have put it in the bottom of the wardrobe where my shins will no longer find it. I also carried on stripping out the previous owner's wiring. Boy, did that man love his conduit.

9xq0j1yl.jpg

XaaSCtIl.jpg

RFkPsjDl.jpg

I have been given an old bureau type thing. Looks like it could be cut and shut.

1XQU0bvl.jpg

Oh and Murphy came over to say hello.

QMjzL9al.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Marathon session of filling, sanding and painting in the bedroom.

YkV8qkjl.jpg

wMQyGasl.jpg?1

jf3ujWKl.jpg?1

I also had a go at making a draining board. This is just a soft wood prototype with some pretty dodgy routering, but it works.

DotpM45l.jpg

OCmL7kfl.jpg

Edited by OldPeculier