Old Spot

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

Not posted for a while since I've been too busy enjoying the boat and not had time to do much. One job that needed doing however was to fix up the back doors. I replaced the lower inch with new wood and they painted up ok. Finally got rid of the dreadful stick on roses and castles too.

5UDJsSSl.jpg

HVPGIMul.jpg

• 1 month later...

I do like the piggy motifs on the top panels of your back doors. It's good to see roses and castles, but refreshing to see something new, appropriate and different. We have Trojan helmet motifs in a similar position.

I've been working on the little passage way between the bathroom and the bedroom where my cupboards and wardrobe is situated. I stuck some architrave on the plain plywood wardrobe door and painted this and the pine cupboards opposite. Got some rather splendid coat/hat pegs too.

RVU9gv6l.jpg

jASZMsal.jpg

UZ3Aot4l.jpg

bWNhVJfl.jpg

k4VxNB2l.jpg

Q1CVZjxl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When I took the cratch cover off in the spring, I removed the cracked and dirty perspex from the front board. With winter coming I have put the cover back on and replaced the triangular windows with proper glass. I masked them up then stuck them in with plenty of CT1.

0xQgpxal.jpg

YlsH1YDl.jpg

• 3 months later...

Its far too cold to be messing around in the engine bay which will be the next project. Its dark most of the time anyway. So while sitting in front of the fire I cant help but think of those long warm evenings when it would be great to go for a sail or row.

I have some scraps of 3.6mm ply and a length of 2x2 which were left behind by a contractor at work so I've ordered some epoxy and let the ultralight dinghy build commence.

The design process starts with gaffa taping the biggest pieces of wood together and then trimming them and twisting them until I got a shape I like.

QjjtNq6l.jpg

60Tim1Xl.jpg

Next job is to rip the 2x2 into strips to make the chine logs and make a temporary frame to keep the shape during the build.

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Top stuff kida, this is what i like. 

Cant wait to see it finished.

Why did you use epoxy and not poly. Only askign as i would of gone with Poly as a lot cheaper and would of been fine for this find of project. 

Are you going to Topcoat it ?

Edited by W+T

Yes it would have been a bit cheaper using poly resin, but with the amount I'm using, the extra cost is minimal.  And it just doesnt stick like epoxy does.  The outside has now been covered in cloth and the deck/mast support is in.

fcriLp3l.jpg

Got the solar panel up and running last night.  My mooring is south facing which apart from being rather pleasant, makes mounting a panel quite straight forward.  The frame is mostly salvaged from an old bed frame.  It has several degrees of elevation and folds flat.  The wiring inside is only temporary since I will be tidying up all the electrics in the engine room over the next month or two.

ddO2MPGl.jpg

1uC2HGBl.jpg

A bottle top filled with CT1 makes a good waterproof gland for the cable entry.

Y6wfEtll.jpg

• 2 months later...

With all the good weather, I've been out on the water rather than working on the boat, but I have managed to make a start on tidying up the wiring in the engine room.

LTiR8eXl.jpg

Make a new lid for the battery box.

Fcc6I2c.jpg?1

And start the little boat painting.

MiUz2ykl.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've just realized I never posted a picture of the finished little boat so here it is.

HgUc8YGl.jpg

It came in at 15kg which should mean I can get it on and off the roof with ease.  I've not sailed it yet but it paddles ok and seems relatively stable.  I'll wait until the weather warms up a bit before give it another go.  Meanwhile my time is being taken up by this.

dofpCP0l.jpg

A Tideway 12 I saw it on ebay and couldn't resist. :)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, OldPeculier said:

I've just realized I never posted a picture of the finished little boat so here it is.

HgUc8YGl.jpg

It came in at 15kg which should mean I can get it on and off the roof with ease.  I've not sailed it yet but it paddles ok and seems relatively stable.  I'll wait until the weather warms up a bit before give it another go.  Meanwhile my time is being taken up by this.

dofpCP0l.jpg

A Tideway 12 I saw it on ebay and couldn't resist. :)

Tideways are excellent boats. Built by Walkers of Leigh-on-Sea, good sea boats too. I used to teach sailing in them, and raced them. Have you a centre board or deepish keel on your homemade boat? If not it won't beat to windward very well. Just blow sideways.