Fellows Morton & Clayton trio - Butty, Steamer & Motor

Fmc_rob

Featured Posts

These photos were taken back in August 2013 but may be of interest, three different types of FMC vessel close by. 'President' the 1909 steamer, 'Kildare' the 1913 butty and 'Peacock' the 1915 motor

DSCF7264_zpsr1tvl2ul.jpg

DSCF7274_zps2qedtmr6.jpg

DSCF7272_zpsvjpxgc7k.jpg

DSCF7270_zpsqj0bmsex.jpg

DSCF7262_zpsvg4n0zcn.jpg

DSCF7261_zps71jqh1ic.jpg

DSCF7259_zpsa7rkz2tr.jpg

DSCF7258_zpsmh3fydei.jpg

DSCF7257_zpsmwmhjfzh.jpg

DSCF7255_zpsweyuwu3l.jpg

DSCF7253_zps8krds9gm.jpg

Very nice, always good to see.

The last time I saw Peacock was on her mooring off Little Venice. What happened to the Wheel Arch name plate?

I can't help feeling John Hemelryck would be a little sad to see her looking a bit mucky and un-lived in.

She's been undergoing some restoration, I believe the cabin has been repainted, the engine runs and last I heard from BCLM she was having her gun whales replaced and should be back at BCLM in June (don't know if she'll be at Braunston, I hope so!)

For those on facebook, there has been a page set up for her by someone looking after her at BCLM, entitled 'FMC Narrowboat Peacock'. Last update was on 10th September 2014 saying it was at Brinklow

• 2 months later...

She's been undergoing some restoration, I believe the cabin has been repainted, the engine runs and last I heard from BCLM she was having her gun whales replaced and should be back at BCLM in June (don't know if she'll be at Braunston, I hope so!)

The museums are proving reluctant to alow her to be used. An issue that is being pushed as she was sold with the verbal agreement she would be used and kept tidy.

Why send her to Brinklow when they have a boatdock in full working order in the museum? Wouldn't repairing a boat be part of the Black Country LIVING Museum actually being alive?

<snip> Wouldn't repairing a boat be part of the Black Country LIVING Museum actually being alive?<snip>

I agree 100%.

It would be wonderful to see the dock area being used properly.

Part of the problem is as billybobboth says in his post - "the museumS are reluctant", although Peacock is normally kept

at BCLM, she is owned by Birmingham Museum and Art Galleries, and as such anything required has to go through 2 sets of

administration procedures, BCLM is probably reluctant to spend on an exhibit which does not belong to them and BMAG is probably

reluctant to spend on an exhibit they gain nothing from.

In addition there is the aspect of using power tools - BCLM does not allow this when the public are on site & whilst using hand tools

to drill half a dozen small holes for some task is no problem, the work involved in just replacing the gunnels using only hand tools is

significant.

springy

Slightly off topic, but I saw what looked like a sister craft to President at Audlem bottom lock today. It was called Viscount or Viceroy, something like that. Does anyone know if it is a functioning steamer? I thought President was the only one left of its type still in steam.

Ken

Slightly off topic, but I saw what looked like a sister craft to President at Audlem bottom lock today. It was called Viscount or Viceroy, something like that. Does anyone know if it is a functioning steamer? I thought President was the only one left of its type still in steam.

Ken

PRESIDENT is the only former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. 'steamer' to currently be fitted with a steam engine.

Several former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. 'steamers', as well as a few motors, currently have the appearance of being in steam because they have a period length cabin fitted, but these cabins are to house more modern conveniences rather than a boiler and its associated machinery. I am sure a couple even have a 'steamer' type funnel fitted captain.gif

PRESIDENT is the only former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. 'steamer' to currently be fitted with a steam engine.

Several former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. 'steamers', as well as a few motors, currently have the appearance of being in steam because they have a period length cabin fitted, but these cabins are to house more modern conveniences rather than a boiler and its associated machinery. I am sure a couple even have a 'steamer' type funnel fitted :captain:

Thanks Pete. That would explain it. The one I saw today was in FMC livery with the extended cabin and had a funnel. It looked like Presidents twin.

Ken

I thought President was the only one left of its type still in steam.

Just to add one layer more clarity and to be slightly pedantic, no fmc steamer is 'still in steam' as they where all converted to diesal and all the engines scrapped. President has however then been returned to steam, using a similar boiler to the original, and an engi that is something the same overall dimensions, if a single rather than a stacked compound.

In total there around around 15 steam narrowboats on the system, although like ours most (all..) are relatively recent in existence if in many cases older plant or hulls being repurposed.

Monarch was converted back to steam with a fairly modern but has since been returned to diesal power.

Daniel

conversion

Not unless it had a name change. It was definately something begining with V. Viceroy or Viscount.

Ken

I am 99% certain it is Viceroy that lives at the bottom of Audlem. It has an undercloth conversion and, I think, a mock steam funnel and large pigeon box.

George ex nb Alton retired

I am 99% certain it is Viceroy that lives at the bottom of Audlem. It has an undercloth conversion and, I think, a mock steam funnel and large pigeon box.

George ex nb Alton retired

Thank George. Yes, that must be the one.

Ken

I agree 100%.

Part of the problem is as billybobboth says in his post - "the museumS are reluctant", although Peacock is normally kept

at BCLM, she is owned by Birmingham Museum and Art Galleries, and as such anything required has to go through 2 sets of

administration procedures, BCLM is probably reluctant to spend on an exhibit which does not belong to them and BMAG is probably

In addition there is the aspect of using power tools - BCLM does not allow this when the public are on site & whilst using hand tools

to drill half a dozen small holes for some task is no problem, the work involved in just replacing the gunnels using only hand tools is

significant.

springy

I'm guessing the repair work will have had to out to tender

I agree 100%.

significant.

springy

Its about time these idiots in the BCLM realized that boat docks were using power tools whilst they were operational, Keays had quite a selection of aged drills etc as did Gilberts. Although somewhat plodding in their nature they didn't stop wanting to make the job easier.

Just to add one layer more clarity and to be slightly pedantic, no fmc steamer is 'still in steam' as they where all converted to diesal and all the engines scrapped. President has however then been returned to steam, using a similar boiler to the original, and an engi that is something the same overall dimensions, if a single rather than a stacked compound.

Daniel

So my statement in post number 13 stands:

"PRESIDENT is the only former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. 'steamer' to currently be fitted with a steam engine."

captain.gif

So my statement in post number 13 stands:

"PRESIDENT is the only former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. 'steamer' to currently be fitted with a steam engine."

Very much so, hence 'adding clarity' rather than correcting the comment.

Daniel

Its about time these idiots in the BCLM realized that boat docks were using power tools whilst they were operational, Keays had quite a selection of aged drills etc as did Gilberts. Although somewhat plodding in their nature they didn't stop wanting to make the job easier.

I must say, while I like watching them hot rolling strips (that are likely not half as good as you could by for less) and other such demos, I would have no issue in them using suitable power tools to restore boats on the dock, with or without a bit of a board stating why they where doing so.

Better to see a working dock, with a historic boat on it, and a powertool in use, than see and empty dock and no boats because they are at a 3rd party site for repair.

Daniel

I can understand the museum's view point, in that they will have decided upon a date that the museum is supposed to represent, and that will be prior to the introduction of power tools. If they allowed their use, they would no doubt have other visitors complaining, a bit like people do about historical TV programmes which use inappropriate objects or technology.

• Greenie 1