I wish we had counted how many...

Featured Posts

boats have gone past today. Well in excess of 20, it's by far the busiest day we have experienced on the cut in the past year.boat.gif

To the point that 4 more boats have passed while I've been writing this post ... LOL make that 5

I'm thinking London must be clearing out a bit...the majority of them were heading north. Should be fun when all the narrow boats catch up with the 3 wide beams that passed early this morning. huh.png

This is Not a complaint in any way shape or form, just a simple observation & in no way is any sarcasm meant either; although the above sentence is said tongue & cheek

It is incredibly busy up here on The Chesterfield Canal too.

We have moved our boat from Clayworth up to he head of navigation and back down as far as Shireoaks in the last week. The only boat we have seen moving in that entire week was a little BW maintenance tug (Blue Cuckoo) There is one moored boat we passed today that was not there yesterday so I guess they must have moved too, where from I don't know.

The Hugh Henshall trip boat did a charter this afternoon so that must have been on the move around Worksop area.

One walker/photographer who regularly walks this canal assured us we are are the first boat he has seen moving this year.

One fisherman asked us where we had come from as he knew he had not seen our boat in that area before

One dog walker was pleased to see us and reminisced of the time last summer that she saw THREE moving boats in one day!

It is like Piccadily Circus in the rush hour!

Today was to busiest i have ever seen it getting out of Calcutt Marina, at one point there were 7 boats bellow to bottom lock with 1 holding in the marina enterance and 2 in the middle of the marina. From leaving our berth to exiting the top lock was almost 2 hours, I would mormally be in Braunston by then.

On the other hand we flew down Hillmorton, but it was mayhem bellow the bottom locks with hire boats doing their first lock.

Marina i'm in appears half empty..I'm confined to barracks since Molly dog very sick so have to be able to get to vets quickly.

I watch as everyone goes....hope all have lovely time guess like roads Easter first big holiday time for lots of people.

The Fossdyke and Witham are unusually busy.

We had planned to go from Burton Waters to Washingborough tonight, to get one lock out of the way. Usually not a problem.

We have literally just found a mooring at Bardney. Even Fiskerton Fen was full.

Highly unusual.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Didn't notice particularly many on the Kennet & Avon between Aldermaston Wharf and Ufton Swing Bridge late this afternoon. Still yet to see the lift bridge I cross every day actually lift, every time I wait for a boat to go through it moors up! One day... (I bet it's not even that impressive)

Just twenty boats in a day Betty, almost deserted. I have just spent three days on our boat moored at Napton junction, and for most of the time there were two or three boats every ten minutes, I would guess that the daily total was well in excess of a hundred. Admittedly this is always a busy spot, being on a three way junction, and most were privately owned boats, with a handful of hire boats interspersed.

Tuesday was incredibly windy, so most had to proceed past at a fair speed to maintain a course, which was far more preferable to being hit by boats being blown off course, most made sure that they passed a respectable distance away, and as I had tied the boat on hard to avoid too much banging about in the wind, I hardly noticed them.

Edited by David Schweizer

Not moved today, but had to use the lower lock landings twice yesterday, as other boats were already in the lock. That's busy for the Nene, last November we saw one moving boat in the entire 60-odd miles. There are four boats moored up here in Ashton backwater tonight.

Not planning to join the bedlam on the canals until Easter is over.

MP.

must be an easter vacation, we have had at least 20 boats pass us today plus 5 widebeams.

NO! NO! Good Gurl, Vacation is what Merkins and Canadians have. This kind of merkinising of the ENGLISH language should carry a life sentence. As a mod and a poster I hold you in high esteem but this is not acceptable on any British forum. Whatever next, Sidewalks instead of towpaths?, barges instead of narrowboats?, apartments instead of flats?. GRRRRR.

PS xxtongue.png

NO! NO! Good Gurl, Vacation is what Merkins and Canadians have. This kind of merkinising of the ENGLISH language should carry a life sentence. As a mod and a poster I hold you in high esteem but this is not acceptable on any British forum. Whatever next, Sidewalks instead of towpaths?, barges instead of narrowboats?, apartments instead of flats?. GRRRRR.

PS xxtongue.png

changed just for you :P

Didn't notice particularly many on the Kennet & Avon between Aldermaston Wharf and Ufton Swing Bridge late this afternoon. Still yet to see the lift bridge I cross every day actually lift, every time I wait for a boat to go through it moors up! One day... (I bet it's not even that impressive)

Loads through today Rob.

They won't use the swing bridges though!?

Being a bit lateral here.ninja.gif

8 boats through Hillmorton yesterday during lock hours, and 30 already today since 9

WOW!!

not as busy here today, we've only had about 10 past so far, yesterday was just mad, the last one passed us about 10:30 last night, going at a fairly fast clip if I do say so myself.

It is so nice to see so many people out and about again, it just came as a bit of a shock seeing so many all in one day after the last few months of seeing 1 or 2 a day, and on some days none at all.

It's been nice to see the Witham so busy today.

Now moored at the Grand Sluice waiting for our tide to Kings Lynn. Should be any time soon.

Can't remember ever a time since we bought our boat, seven years ago that the river has been so busy.

Lots and lots of space at the bottom of the Foxton flight all weekend. No que to go up the flight at all but, 9 waiting boats (at the moment) at the top.

They cant get any close to the lock moorings because of the shop boats have them all, including the invalid moorings.

Question!

Does CART charge the shop boats to use those mooring for a week?

Nipper