Where can I get Trent Charts?

NickF

Featured Posts

Anyone know where I can buy Trent Charts from, I am planning to sail from Cromwell to Torksey again this year. We did it last year by just following the signage as you go downstream and by pulling up the centre board when it went wrong, but I figured it might be easier with the charts!

Tidaltrent.jpg

its simple just stay in the middle and dont cut the corners except for the 2 sunken islands which have big yellow

signs on which tell you which side to keep too

That would land you on the shoal down the middle of Dunham Rack!

With advice like yours - you don't need enemies !!!!

img002_zpssezznrrd.jpg

This looks like the chart i bought from Newark Marina in 2011 which needs to be looked at carefully. The reason i say this is that i got caught out coming from

Torksey and heading towards Gainsborough, on one page it showed the red line going in the right direction and on the next page it showed the red line going

in the left direction. It caught me out and i spent hours grounded, but managed to clean the hull and no damage done. When i contacted the people who printed these charts, i was informed that a new batch was being printed with photos. I will post some photos in a short while.

You'll be fine. Make sure you use the tidal flow as much as you can.

We used to plough up and down there 20 odd years in a 40footer with a Lister SR2 in her. Just make sure you check the lock opening times from the C&RT notices.

is it possible for my 40ft narowboat with a lister stw2 to manage the tidal trent or will it not be powerfull enough about 20 hp I think( planning for the future)

It will be fine provided you use the tides to your advantage.

You wouldn't have wanted to be out going upstream today though. 9ft of fresh holding the tide back.

Made slow going for the boats heading from Torksey to Cromwell.

the trouble with them charts how ever well intended is that they are so out of date,,every time we have a big flood the sand banks move and thats been pretty regular over the winter they are fine for showing the bends etc but not much else , as i said stay in middle dont cut corners and all will be fine

Did you get a good look at the roman ford? :-D

Considering that it's the best part of 3 miles away, he'd need exceptional eyesight to see Littleborough ford from where those pictures were taken . . . he's too far to the West side and grounded just below Castle(shoal), a few hundred yards topside of Torksey railway bridge.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

the trouble with them charts how ever well intended is that they are so out of date,,every time we have a big flood the sand banks move and thats been pretty regular over the winter they are fine for showing the bends etc but not much else , as i said stay in middle dont cut corners and all will be fine

No, I'm afraid that's very bad advice.

If you've got away with staying in the middle all the way from Cromwell down, then you've been very lucky, because there are places where it can run down to a foot or so of depth at low water, and I've seen Normanton island bared out with bits of it visible.

The river bed is quite stable from around Keadby all the way to Cromwell, but if you only use that stretch occasionally you can get the impression that it's not because of big differences in the quantity of water in the river, due to the amount of fresh that's coming downriver and how 'big' the tides are.

Brilliant advice as always, thank you everyone, our passage is made easier by the fact we draw six inches with the centre board up and can get out and push is necessary , but then again we will need to tack in some places so we can't just stick to the middle. (we do have an outboard and more than enough fuel to do the whole trip under power but the challenge is to do it all under sail)

Thanks again to all!

Brilliant advice as always, thank you everyone, our passage is made easier by the fact we draw six inches with the centre board up and can get out and push is necessary , but then again we will need to tack in some places so we can't just stick to the middle. (we do have an outboard and more than enough fuel to do the whole trip under power but the challenge is to do it all under sail)

Thanks again to all!

Did you have much height to spare with the mast under Fledborough railway bridge and Dunham bridge last time ?

As you're likely to be quite a lot longer than normal doing it under sail only, to make sure of having some Ebb under you all the way to Torksey, work out your best time to be away from Cromwell from Hull tide times, reckoning on the earliest time for Flood at Torksey ( on big Springs) being an hour and a half after Hull HW.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Did you have much height to spare with the mast under Fledborough railway bridge and Dunham bridge last time ?

We have a 7m air draft (or should that be draught?) We got under Fledborough no problem, for Dunham toll bridge we dropped the mast. We dropped the main sail, lowered the mast back. glided under the bridge and put the mast back up again ...... text book manouvre ..... why is it that things are really slick if no one is watching but go completely pear shape when you have an audience!!

The lockie at Cromwell was really helpful with advice but there can be such a variation in river level that it is hard to anticipate the headroom too accurately so we decided to play safe at Dunham. If the mast had hit on an ebb tide it could all have gone very wrong very quickly!

As you're likely to be quite a lot longer than normal doing it under sail only, to make sure of having some Ebb under you all the way to Torksey, work out your best time to be away from Cromwell from Hull tide times, reckoning on the earliest time for Flood at Torksey ( on big Springs) being an hour and a half after Hull HW.

I seem to remember it took four hours or so last time, we checked our progress very carefully using timings from canalplan ac and we seemed to stay on track with those, so we knew when we would arrive at Torksey. The plan was to start the outboard if we fell behind at all timewise but fortunately that wasn't necessary. The tide was quite low when we came into Torksey and we did bump the centre board on the cill of the bottom gate and had to pull it up quickly to get over.

The lockie at Cromwell let us spend the night on the pontoon below the lock so we were free to set off on the early tide whenever we wanted rather than having to wait for him to come on duty.

In places progress was slow but our GPS recorded a max speed of over 7 knots at one point which I think we did as we tacked along what Nicholson's calls lollipop alley.

More detail on the last trip on a previous post

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65830&hl=%2Bsailing+%2Btrent#entry1289833

Edited by NickF

seems after going up and down it around 30 times i am wrong so please ignore cheers.gif

But what is equally interesting is that equally experienced boaters are saying 'follow the charts' or at the very least 'don't just religiously stick to the centre be aware of shallow spots'

- so who is right?