River Weaver Closed

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

I don't remember the Weaver being closed due to high water levels before.

Notice Alert

Weaver Navigation

Tuesday 31 March 2015 09:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Information

Original message:

For safety reasons, with immediate effect the Weaver Navigation is CLOSED until further notice due to high river levels and strong river flows.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/2709/weaver-navigation

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

I assume it's because it has become more popular.

Centre of Northwich were the Weaver and Dane meet would regularly flood in the winter and the flow was very dangerous between the swing bridges.

I moor on the Weaver now at Northwich Quay and was down there today. The river level was higher than usual but nowhere near flooding and the flow between the bridges was fairly slow, although the Dane was flowing into the Weaver at quite a rate just below the marina. A narrowboat went through, heading upstream without any fuss.

I moor on the Weaver now at Northwich Quay and was down there today. The river level was higher than usual but nowhere near flooding and the flow between the bridges was fairly slow, although the Dane was flowing into the Weaver at quite a rate just below the marina. A narrowboat went through, heading upstream without any fuss.

I think one determining factor for closure is whether they can operate the Lift. If the river is above a certain level, the tank is too heavy. I believe that when it was all manual there was a workaround, but now the computer he say no. Of course, that might be more an excuse than a reason.

Tim

Don't know what they did to change it but up to 10 years ago it flooded in the centre of Northwich every winter. The it stopped. The old floatel which was where the marina is now use to flop about and clang against its mooring posts.

I assume something was done to control the Dane.

I think one determining factor for closure is whether they can operate the Lift. If the river is above a certain level, the tank is too heavy. I believe that when it was all manual there was a workaround, but now the computer he say no. Of course, that might be more an excuse than a reason.

Tim

We nearly failed to get off the river last year for the opposite reason - river too low for the lift computer. The weight of the

the tank doesn't vary, but where it stops does, to ensure that the depth in the tank is right. The seals that the tank connects

to landside are moved up and down to ensure it's at the right height for the current river level, and they have limited travel.

Too low (as in our case) or (presumably) too high, and The Computer Says No.

MP.