Experienced boaters/members

Jon

Featured Posts

On our previous board, Wyeman suggested a section where FAQ could be put together as a reference for people new to boating. If anyone can think of any topics/answers that they feel they are always answering, or if there is an issue that you would like to have known about when you started boating, then please post them in this forum. Please start each topic with FAQ, then the post title. Eg "FAQ - How do I find moorings".

If enough are posted, I will move them to a content only forum.

Many thanks,

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I get really fed up with boats that pass too quickly, without any condsideration for moored boats, but do not shout at them because it is a pointless activity. Instead I tie my boat securely and hope that only a minimal amount of disturbance will be caused as they charge past.

On thing that I have noted over the years is that many of the boaters who speed past others, get quite offensive if the same happens to them. I have come to the conclusion that these people are basicly selfish and not worth bothering with.

Hi Tiny.

I agree about those double standards David! A boat zipped past me a couple of weeks ago and I remembered which one it was because it rocked my boat so hard against the side. The next day, I was going at tickover past several boats moored on both sides and saw that same boat there. In the window was an aggressive little sign saying "What part of Slow Down don't you understand?" !

Anyway. Jon asked at the start about FAQ's and I think that is an excellent one for newcomers to boating:

- How fast should my boat be travelling on the canal? Or something along those lines...

On our previous board, Wyeman suggested a section where FAQ could be put together as a reference for people new to boating. If anyone can think of any topics/answers that they feel they are always answering, or if there is an issue that you would like to have known about when you started boating, then please post them in this forum. Please start each topic with FAQ, then the post title. Eg "FAQ - How do I find moorings".

If enough are posted, I will move them to a content only forum.

Many thanks,

Jon

Jon, how about the "Should I get a survey?" question? It's been answered that many times I think we've just about wrapped it up and it could be listed as a FAQ.

"You've lost your water skier" bloke (brilliantly incisive that one).

Love it! Newbie would like to here more sarcasm for use on the cut.

"Thanks for slowing down" (said with a smile) is one which often causes the passing boater to cut the revs and say "Wot".

• 2 months later...

There is the thing of when youve moored up properly and you get a "speeder" the boat can surge forward/ backward especially if you moor up on a canal like the bridgewater (as we do ) because the water level goes up and down and you do get fed up of constantly re- tying the ropes :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

Slowing down is one thing, but I am fed up being told to slow down when I am in tickover. And as for that moron that displays "What part of slow down don't you understand", there is a medical condition that explains this behavior. It's called "Being a t###t syndrome". Feel free to reply you're Bats.

By far the best two I have seen are:-

Slow down Grumpy old git on board

and the best ever

Thank you for slowing down. Have a nice day.

You see it not difficult to be polite or amusing it doesn't upset poeple so much

Edited by DHutch
language

For FAQs for newbies

How about "how do I post a picture?"

"what is this Avatar thingie?"

"what is this "warn" thing I see next to my own details when I post?"

"How do I post a link?"

"How do I do a search?"

These are all the things that puzzled me as a newcomer to the site

Where do I get one of those "back on topic" smilies?

• 3 weeks later...
:D my friend Benno had his fishing rods taken by a speeding boat who he yelled after with no result! knowing the canal he left his boat jumped in his car and got ahead of said speeder at a bridge and gave him the contents of his cassette. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi again!

- Im going to revive this thread in reaction to another thread thats going on at the moment.

I personaly agree that i would be nice to have a few more 'FAQ' thread about on the forum.

- However, much as i would love to, and have been meaning to, i very rairly currently have time to sit down and write such a thread.

- However, it doesnt have to be me that write it, and in many ways, it doesnt even need actaully writting as we have half of it already.

If nothing else, if someone does see a potential thread, a thread that answers a question that fairly requently comes up, or you think would be of speccific use or interest to future and other members. Get it sticky'ed.

- And thread can be sticky'ed (pinned) as a perticuarly helpfull or frequently reoccuring topic.

- And if this takes off, we could have whole cluster of these threads as a FAQ base for the forum.

Topics that i have been meaning to write myself include:

- The basics of stove installation and fitting guide.

- The basics of radiators and central heating (convective/pumped, back boiler/gasordeisal)

- The basic anatomy of a narrowboat. Chine/Swim/WellDeck/UxterPlate/Anode/HoppetopWindow. Etc

- And a rework/update on the 'Using Imageshack' guide in the members section to add photos etc.

All of these are topics that have been coved many times before, that i think would benifit from being incluced into a core 'CWDF Introduction to boating" Section of the forum.

And any further suggestions of topics are as welcome as the writing of the pages themself if anyone does have a hour or so.

Daniel

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wouldn't that be kind of impossible in a marina situation, or are you saying that people prefer more space between them and the next boat (or do you just not like marinas?) :lol:

[/quote

Maybe a comment on the tendency to build land based properties beside marinas which then become occupied by people who's main reason for existence is to complain about the fact that there are boats clogging up their view out the window.