Windy

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

She's selling her art there you see, trading as The Art Boat.

She's hoping to start Heartbreak hill tomorrow morning.

Surely "Artbreak Hill"?

Matty, the forecast suggests that the wind will drop dramatically to a mere 20 mph or so later this afternoon and will not pick up again to the 50 mph speeds which we've had for the last few hours.

So what time did you go through Upwell? I can't fathom how I missed seeing your boat.

Had a disaster with my van today. A huge gust of wind caught it as I was about get, I grabbed it but ended up being pulled out of my seat and ending up unceremoniously on my backside. It looks like a big insurance job as the door stay broke and the door went so far forward that the door pillar has twisted

Decide enough - now back home after a 9 1/2 hour trip from Trinity Marina to Hillmorton bottom pound yesterday and a 5 hour trip in the wind rain and hail today.

Hillmorton bottom pound this morning:

16372065913_41605b0fb6_c.jpgDSCF2128

The waves were breaking and at least 2" from trough to peak!

Decide enough - now back home after a 9 1/2 hour trip from Trinity Marina to Hillmorton bottom pound yesterday and a 5 hour trip in the wind rain and hail today.

Hillmorton bottom pound this morning:

16372065913_41605b0fb6_c.jpgDSCF2128

The waves were breaking and at least 2" from trough to peak!

Flippin heck Ray!!!

OK - so it's not really all that bad down here then :)

Matty - I don't think the Thames was that rough travelling from Brentford to Teddington on our first trip, and in my innocence I was expecting Waves!

I sure don't envy you or the coal boats having to travel in all kinds of weather!

I love our new life & really enjoy cruising, but am quite happy to be grouped in with the rest of the "fair weather travellers" pot

We felt very sorry for the hire boaters that passed us last weekend, most of them Black Prince from our former home. Its not a cheap holiday, even out of season, and this week could have been such a good one when they were p!annimg it. So sorry for them that it turned out to be such a shitter of a week.

Edited by Ange

A bit harsh........

..... even I am not that rude about shiny Hudson owners!

Twas a reference to Mrsmelly previous post where he suggested any narrowboat owner out in those conditions were most cells short of a full brain.

after yesterdays boaring, i have to agree, i felt like i had been beaten up last night.

One for Betty, crabbing on the Great Ouse this morning, still windy but not as bad.

20150401_080559_zpsporzubfh.jpg

Edited by matty40s

20150331_115549_zpsyrhqdnz0.jpg

another single brain celled out enjoying isself

Thanks?? - quick getting that up - it must have been about that time we passed. Didn't get really nasty until Marmot Priory - waited two hours for worst of squalls to pass through.

Note 20Kg Danforth on front of roof - it started dancing around at one point! - junction of twenty foot river was a malestrom with two foot waves and spray.

On the way home yesterday we followed a couple along the Oxford in Jack, an Armada hire boat:

jack1.jpg

They did extremely well in managing the boat in those winds, did not hit anyone, weave across the canal or crash into any bridges. I was chatting to them whilst we were held up at Newbold and by the helms own admission he had "limited" experience in helming boats.

Before anyone goes "off" on one about novice hirers in windy conditions, everybody has to start somewhere, if he was able to handle the boat in those conditions it would be easy for him in calmer ones. I did feel for them as they had the boat on a five day hire and they did not have good weather for their first day.

As we came down Calcutt locks a handover to a family was in process, the weather was miserable, leaden sky's, lashing it down with rain, bitterly cold and a howling wind, I felt for them too.

Edited by Ray T

Thanks?? - quick getting that up - it must have been about that time we passed. Didn't get really nasty until Marmot Priory - waited two hours for worst of squalls to pass through.

You appeared to be making steady and straight progress when you passed our house, half a mile above Marmont Priory - despite the wind screaming across the open fields opposite us.

20150401_084722_zpsdhyskdbx.jpg

it is getting Stronger again in norfolk

I know, we spent last week touring Norfolk and Suffolk by car - only boating was using the Reedham Ferry........

Broads and Rivers excellent - why do we bother with canals?.... moorings seemed expensive (£215 per Meter) at one marina. Nice to see one or two nb's about.

M.