Windy

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Yes, I had to do this once, arriving at 0800 at Whiston lock to find someone who had stopped overnight. If people really must stop briefly for lunch, they can do so on the landing stage below the lock which is much less likely to inconvenience other boaters....

We had to use a lock landing to moor overnight on the Thames once, but it was 9:00 pm on a rainy night; we set the alarm for 6:00 am and were going through the lock by 7:00 am the following morning.

Mind you we moored as far back from the lock as possible, leaving enough space for a full sized nb and a good sized GPR as well to be able to use the landing if they came along in the middle of the night. Luckily enough no other boats came through while we were there.

We simply couldn't find a vacant mooring spot and with the heavy rain and darkness we (well I actually) wasn't comfortable in going on further

Old vehicles with rear leaf springs would also crab along when a spring centre bolt sheered and the axle shifted in a saddle. But the boat crabbing problem can be alleviated by quite a large extent by bashing out all the windows so allowing much of the wind to whistle straight through the boat and out the other side so easing the pressure.

It keeps amazing me to read all your simple, easy to do and mainly cheap solutions to what many narrowboaters seem to see as problems.

Why doesn't anyone else understand how easy all these problems can be solved ?

Peter.

We were planning to set off from our winter mooring this weekend but decided otherwise, which is a shame because Dave will move the boat while I'm at work, and I was looking forward to at last doing a bit of boating.

Anybody know what tomorrow and Tuesday are looking like weather wise? We have to be off this mooring by Tuesday at the latest.

Hi Ange.

Best move the boat today if you can, cus, tomorrow is gona be very windy!

Weather Pro has it forecast for around 34 miles an hour at Market Harborough tomorrow, although they have been known to be wrong, but what way wrong i wouldn't like to guess!

Nipper

Found anothersone this morning, however, they were trying to go the same way as me. They came to lock landing, wind took the back end across to the sluice boys, and they ended up facing the wrong way!!!

The lock was Open ready, so I went straight in, and then held the stern rope tight to the last bollard so the wind could blow the front end round to face the lock.

Fun fun fun.

should have known that sunset meant no good.

IMG-1427652850570-V_zpsdxc2ismv.jpg

Edited by matty40s

It keeps amazing me to read all your simple, easy to do and mainly cheap solutions to what many narrowboaters seem to see as problems.

Why doesn't anyone else understand how easy all these problems can be solved ?

Peter.

Ah, but the problem is that the wind gets in and blows the roof off.

More high winds forecast from 2:00am tomorrow - up to 48kts.

We have abandoned our planned journey and are now on the way home. At Hillmorton bottom pound at the moment after a 9.5 hour trip from Trinity Marina. Had a delay at Newbold as a man came out of the Barley Mow, according to a witness, and decided to throw himsef down a bramble bank and into the cut. He was attended by: two ambulances, a paramedic, an incident control officer, an incident emergency unit, the air ambulance plus a private boat roped in to help.

Edited by Ray T

Found anothersone this morning, however, they were trying to go the same way as me. They came to lock landing, wind took the back end across to the sluice boys, and they ended up facing the wrong way!!!

The lock was Open ready, so I went straight in, and then held the stern rope tight to the last bollard so the wind could blow the front end round to face the lock.

Fun fun fun.

should have known that sunset meant no good.

IMG-1427652850570-V_zpsdxc2ismv.jpg

A beautiful image

Yes, I agree that is a very beautiful picture, Matty has many talents by the looks of it.

Peter.

Oh yes he does cloud9.gif

Hi Ange.

Best move the boat today if you can, cus, tomorrow is gona be very windy!

Weather Pro has it forecast for around 34 miles an hour at Market Harborough tomorrow, although they have been known to be wrong, but what way wrong i wouldn't like to guess!

Nipper

Hi Nipper

Yep, Dave moved the boat today and good thing too by the sounds of it. He got a bit wet and cold at the end of the trip but at least it's done now :)

Roll on some better weather!

Hi Nipper

Yep, Dave moved the boat today and good thing too by the sounds of it. He got a bit wet and cold at the end of the trip but at least it's done now :)

Hoping the weather improves quickly. We are supposed to be going across the Wash on Saturday afternoon!

Hi Nipper

Yep, Dave moved the boat today and good thing too by the sounds of it. He got a bit wet and cold at the end of the trip but at least it's done now smile.png

Good to hear he moved the boat today.
I'm halfway between Foxton and Market Harborough on a nice mooring for a day or two with wine in the bilge and grub in the larder, also a cat snoring it's head off next to me and I'm not moving tomorrow!
I do feel for the poor hirers that have come by us having just picked up their boats from Market Harborough, they haven't the chance of waiting the poor weather out!
Never mind, it's weather and there us a lot of it about!
Nipper

A lady on a boat here put her clocks back instead of forward. Sunday morning she arrived ''up the shops'' as she calls it at 7am instead of 9am which she thought it was. She couldn't make out why the shops weren't open. I'm in trouble if she reads this forum. sad.png

A lady on a boat here put her clocks back instead of forward. Sunday morning she arrived ''up the shops'' as she calls it at 7am instead of 9am which she thought it was. She couldn't make out why the shops weren't open. I'm in trouble if she reads this forum. sad.png

I did that once! Dave arrived at work at 5am instead of 7am and I got our childminder out of bed knocking on her door at 6am instead of 8am.

I wasn't popular that day

In trouble only if we find out who it is!

Nipper

er ............ haven't you got it arse about face?

Well we are on the river at Trent lock. If you dont know it then suffice to say it is a rather exposed location. The river is rising and its starting to blow and its persisting it down with rain. Lets see what tomorrow brings biggrin.png we are the only boat on the floating pontoon. Its a 72 hour mooring which is up 2morro afternoon but if it gets worse I aint going anywhere due to safety aspects.

Tim

Ah, but the problem is that the wind gets in and blows the roof off.

no, that won't happen if you follow bizzard's advise, he said to knock ALL windows out so the wind go's in one side and straight out of the other.

This will work surely better on a boat with windows than on a portholes one.

Peter.

We (she and me) will have a good laugh about this time-adjustment-mistake when I see her, what was her name, and the name of her boat ?

Cheers,

Peter.

Well we are on the river at Trent lock. If you dont know it then suffice to say it is a rather exposed location. The river is rising and its starting to blow and its persisting it down with rain. Lets see what tomorrow brings biggrin.png we are the only boat on the floating pontoon. Its a 72 hour mooring which is up 2morro afternoon but if it gets worse I aint going anywhere due to safety aspects.

Tim

Forecast is for 50+ mph winds around Nottingham tomorrow so I think its batten down the hatches day

Forecast is for 50+ mph winds around Nottingham tomorrow so I think its batten down the hatches day

Yes u r right 54 bloomin mph here tomorrow still there will be some who try it out ohmy.png

Tim

Had to get up as sash ( our dog ) was scratching at the door he is terrified with the boat rocking and a rolling , sat outsid the boat lift we where on the weaver last night ( Monday ) it was bad enough them , clad we got off as I wouldn't like to be on there right now