G H COOKE (or Wheelock) windlasses

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Stimulated by a recent exchange of photos of Windlasses with Magnetman, I have started to research the elusive maker of the famous Wheelock Windlasses. Not very much appears to have been written about him, and some of that is already appearing to be not much more than guesswork.

I have already found out who he was and where and when he was born, together with where he lived, but there must be more to discover. I will be continuing with my research, but in the meantime, was wondering whether anyone had any information about G.H.Cooke which they would be willing to share, and if anyone has a Cooke windlass would they be willing to send me (and Magnetman) a photo, together with dimensions.

I know that this is a bit nerdy, but what else does a retired person do in the winter?

Edited by David Schweizer

• 4 years later...

are you still looking for images of Cookes windlasses etc...I have 3, 2 x small eye and 1 large eye. the small eyed windlasses are of different throws.

cheers,

paul

Thanks for the offer, and sorry about the delay in responding, things have been a bit hectic the last couple of days.

I am still looking for images and dimensions of Pipeclay Windlasses, both with and without the G H COOKE impression. The dimensions I require for comparison with others are:- Socket size (tapered or parallel), Length from top of socket to inside of bend, Length from handle end to inside of bend.

My researches were going quite well until my little arguement with Cancer started two years ago, and I was just getting going again and Jan was diagnosed with a Brain Tumour, so that has slowed everything down again. Unfortunately, in the meantime, some of my enquiry threads have gone cold and I am currently trying to revive them, but the article I am preparing for "Narrowbaot Magazine" will eventually materialize.

If you would rather send photos to my email address just let me know and I will PM it to you. Once again, thanks for your offer to help.

HI David

Happy to send you pics of mine, along with the Harry Neal No 2. Anorak off soon!! If I can help at all simply call..07831 243001.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the offer Dave, but you did send me some photos a couple of years ago, which are stored in my archive. One day the Article will appear.

Thanks for those JohnO, Yet another size to record, Your windlass is the smallest COOKE so far, and it has a large socket. I hagve seen some even smaller ones with a large socket, and stamped GUCC, which I am told by the owner is a "Pocket Windlass, for use by lock keepers.

• 7 months later...

David.

Could you give me your e-mail address so I can send you the pictures.

cheers

paul

Paul, I have tried sending you a PM, but as you only have two posts, the system will not allow it, I believe you need to have made five posts before the system activates.

David, my favourite windlass is identical in design to the one in your photo but without a maker's name. Instead it has three small notches either side of the shaft just below the socket.

Does this have any place in 'Windlasses of the World' or is it just a cheap Chinese copy of the masterpiece?