water in engine space

kelly_87

Featured Posts

When we bought our boat we also had mysterious water gathering under the floor at the stern -- conveniently viewable through a large hatch in the galley floor -- to about 3-inches deep

It turned out that the water tank (fitted under the bow) had its overflow outlet empty into a bucket way forward under the bow deck. The bucket had tipped over and as a result any overflow on filling the water tank emptied straight into the bilges, travelled the length of the boat and collected under the galley floor. This set-up on a boat of reasonably high spec built in 2004. I couldn't believe it!

We had the overflow plumbed through the hull high above the waterline ... and now the bilges are dust dry and home to a gang of spiders.

• 4 years later...
On 29/03/2015 at 20:13, Kendal said:

From my perspective I'm afraid not. It only seems to occur when it's your own boat though. I have recurring nightmares about my boat sinking (been having them ever since I bought my first nb over 20 years ago). They went away when I sold my last boat and left the cut for a while, but then came back again as soon as I bought my current boat a year ago.

Sorry, reviving this thread to talk about dreams but thank god, its not just me then! Had my boat a yea now, loving it, but those nightmares...!Years ago, I lived on a friend's boat for the best part of a year. Never dreamed about it then... 

Weird.