Share Boat Self Management

Andy Healey

Featured Posts

Are there any self managed share boaters out there who would like to share their experiences with me, preferably privately via email or other media. For example choices for home mooring, servicing, weekly turn rounds, insurance questions, etc.

We have just moved Kinver over to self management after the ABC/BCBM affair last autumn, and (so far) think it is going well - save for a couple of issues with the handover, which we have resolved now.

We've stayed moored at Alvechurch, and carry on much the same as we did, except the paper work comes to us now, rather than going to ABC.

I'd be happy to share our experiences via email/PM/phone if it helps.

WE shared Copperkins for over 20 years (we recently bought our own boat) and we self managed for about the last 10 years. If you wish to ask any questions, send me a PM.

I am away at a dog show all weekend so if you don't get a reply, don't worry! I'll be home Sunday night.

haggis

Edited by haggis

Are there any self managed share boaters out there who would like to share their experiences with me, preferably privately via email or other media. For example choices for home mooring, servicing, weekly turn rounds, insurance questions, etc.

I have shares in two ex Ownerships boats and both have been very successfully self managed since the demise of Ownerships. If there are any specific questions you have, I would be very happy to try to answer them. Please PM me via this forum.

Howard

Edited by howardang

we were responsible for setting up a private share boat which is still going. We sold our shares about 3years ago when we bought our own boat. The topic has been discussed on this forum in the past. Such as this thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67966&hl=%2Bprivate+%2Bboat+%2Bshare#entry1345652

I am happy to answer queries on it if you PM me

It will be somewhere around twice as expensive but that is shared out over however many share owners you are proposing to have. Running costs on a privately managed shared boat seem to come out at anywhere between £7,000 and £12,000 depending on what needs doing.

The extra costs are incurred purely because of the hard life. Our boat has been out two weeks now and will stay busy until end of November. Usage takes its toll.

We are thinking of selling our boat and buying a share instead.

Can you please suggest web sites etc to look for shares for sale?

Also any potential problems to look out for?

Rob

Boatshare.com is a good place to look

Also look at the BCBM website.

Good luck

Howard

We are thinking of selling our boat and buying a share instead.

Can you please suggest web sites etc to look for shares for sale?

Also any potential problems to look out for?

Rob

Still got one share left here http://www.boatshare.co.uk/schipperke/index2.htm

I think it's a bit of a bargain as with £2000 per share in the kitty you get a sixth of the boat for less than £1000, giving 5 weeks a year plus for less than the cost of hiring for a week.