Alvecote to Oxford (and back)

Kendal

Featured Posts

I have never done the S Oxford before and always fancied it, so that's my next decent trip out. Two weeks for Alvecote down to Oxford and back should be ample, with time for pubs and a bit of exploring. I might even venture onto the Thames a ways. If I get behind time, and don't make it all the way back, I will just leave the boat and collect it later.

Do any of you good folk have some tips for me (S Oxford only as I'm pretty familiar with the North), pubs not to be missed (proper beer and decent grub), must visit locations, recommended moorings etc. Would it be worth trying to fit in a bit of the Thames or should I not bother, if yes then upstream or down, and will I have to pay for an EA visitors licence (I just have the standard CaRT licence)?

Any words of advice greatly appreciated as ever.

The first 'not to be missed' is the Folly at the bottom lock at Napton.

The next reasonably decent one is the Wharf Inn at Fenny Compton. Hit and miss for food but generally good. Was getting better last time I went in for a number of pints.

Cropredy. Two pubs. Two views from two different people. Try them both.

Banbury. Large town. Ample choice.

Aynho. The Great Western really good food. I like this pub.

Thrupp. Good choice of two pubs. Moor outside of either.

The above are the only pubs I have visited. There are more. All real ale pubs.

Enjoy.

Martyn

Cropredy is slow to pass through on Festival weekend but is achievable. But the place is not the place to be for a beer or grub.

Incidentally we are not far from Alvecote, which is new ground for us, so I understand why you asked the question, fore armed etc.

Martyn

Yes' you'll have to pay for the Thames.

Fifty quid ish for a 'two day' licence and sixty something for a week - depends on boat size. Prices and discussion came from another thread.

Go upstream for a treat with 'real locks' - hand wound with light gear and even lighter lock gates. Quite rural and peaceful.

Go downstream and the locks are push button operated. More pubs than upstream.

Don't forget to visit Oxford - good food and pubs - but avoid the touristy areas.

Banbury find the "Old Reindeer" Pub and then go into the very special room. You will be stepping back into history.

If you have to do through Banbury lock to moor then be aware that the foundry start work early and its very noisy.

Good supermarket to the right ( going towards Oxford ) about half a mile below Banbury lock.

If you go to Oxford and not out onto the Thames at Dukes cut then a little bit before the last lock on the Oxford towards your left its worth finding the "Bookbinders" pub. Also shops in the main road up from the Bookbinders.

There are some suggestions on moorings on this earlier thread

Thanks, I found that thread after I posted. I searched previously for 'South Oxford' and it didn't show up, should have tried harder!

Cropredy is slow to pass through on Festival weekend but is achievable. But the place is not the place to be for a beer or grub.

Incidentally we are not far from Alvecote, which is new ground for us, so I understand why you asked the question, fore armed etc.

Martyn

Happy to give you some pointers if you want them as you're in my patch. If you like a good ruby and haven't passed through Polesworth yet, I can thoroughly recommend the India Garden above the Bulls Head (bridge 54), good moorings just after the bridge (Tamworth side).

Yes' you'll have to pay for the Thames.

Fifty quid ish for a 'two day' licence and sixty something for a week - depends on boat size. Prices and discussion came from another thread.

Go upstream for a treat with 'real locks' - hand wound with light gear and even lighter lock gates. Quite rural and peaceful.

Go downstream and the locks are push button operated. More pubs than upstream.

Don't forget to visit Oxford - good food and pubs - but avoid the touristy areas.

Having read through a couple of previous threads, it appears if I time my visit to the lock correctly I can get 2 days worth of boating for a one day ticketclapping.gif

Oxford was always on the 'must do' list

Banbury find the "Old Reindeer" Pub and then go into the very special room. You will be stepping back into history.

The 'special' room eh? Sounds like an S&M dungeon. That's most definitely on the list!

Thanks all for the pointers, I have the makings of a decent plan now.