Quick fix way to heat water please!

Featured Posts

Hello!

I'm reading lots of old threads about gas water heaters. It's been incredibly useful - thank you everyone, who's already contributed so much to this topic!

Sorry, if this has already been addressed somewhere else.. although I couldn't find it....

I'm looking for a quick and cheap way to get hot water please... so i can use the hot water to clean my boat, and have little showers at the end of day of hard toil...

She sank last summer, and is still smeared with Mud!! Many of you on this forum were incredibly helpful during that rather sad phase!! I'm still so grateful for all the help and encouragement you gave. I don;t think I'd have been able to get through it without you to be honest!

Anway, as a quick fix to getting hot water - would something like this do the trick please?

http://www.wayfair.c...tid=91671463572

Are there any safety considerations? Would I be rigth to assume something like this wouldn't be allowed by the Boat Safety Certificate people as a permenant solution?! Can anyone forsee any issues with heating water straght from the Thames?! I mean I'm cool with the cleanliness of the water.. particularly, as I'm primarily using the water to clean a very muddy boat!! But could it cause issues in the heater itself, if not filtered?!

When time & more importantly budget allows, I'd like a gas or diesel system that heats water for central heating, and for hot water... In actual fact, I was gutting the boat on Friday, prior to getting stuck in properly, and found a Webasto heater?! A storke of luck I thought... but of course, it was under water for a month..

Any of you genisues think a webasto that's been under water for a month could be made to work again?! Or would it be a waste of time trying, do you think.

Thank you!!

Marcus

x

Hi Bizzard,

I rathe rlike that idea actually. It's quite fun taking things back to basics!! I still need to heat the water though...

Although, I have a woodburner with a flat top, so I can warm water up in the kettle.. but that's a rather slow way to heat water!

Marcus

The http://www.wayfair.c...tid=91671463572 has no outside vent/chimney for the carbon monoxide it produces that is why you have to tie it to a tree. It relies on pressure from the water supply i.e. mains or water pump. The Webasto heater has no moving parts so try cleaning up and try it

Hi Bizzard,

I rathe rlike that idea actually. It's quite fun taking things back to basics!! I still need to heat the water though...

Although, I have a woodburner with a flat top, so I can warm water up in the kettle.. but that's a rather slow way to heat water!

Marcus

Its quite cut off and secluded here and we used to shower like that outside in the summer, with the can dangling from a tree. A gallon can of hot water lasts quite a long time, might even do two quick showers.

Any of you genisues think a webasto that's been under water for a month could be made to work again?! Or would it be a waste of time trying, do you think.

The only issue should be with the ECU if it has been in fresh water you may just get away with it if you are very lucky and it had no power on at the time of immersion, it will need a strip and clean at least, I wish you luck with it.

Somebody on here (CarlT?) once described how they used a bucket of water heated on top of the stove, then placed a small submersible pump into the water that fed a shower head. The pump was later placed into the shower tray when the used water was pumped into the bucket again and disposed of. I am working with a fading memory, but I think that was the method used.

Storeys of Lancaster made a solar water heater which was a plastic bag like a hot water bottle, leave it out in the sun than there was a shower head that you attached to the bag and it works well on a sunny day. You could fill it with hot water on a dark day. Google shows somebody using a car inner tube to heat water.

Hello Everyone. With regard to a portable shower that it what I'm using at the moment, until I get the water system fitted. I bought my shower of a well known auction site for about £13. It has a submersible pump on a long hose to a shower head, it also has a long lead with a water proof switch and a connector for a 12v socket.

I heat my water in a kettle on the log fire, it takes a while, but you just have to think ahead. I boil the kettle two or three times putting the hot water in a thermos to keep it hot.

John.

• 11 months later...

High Marcus .

I don`t really know how much power you can harness from the sun where you are , but imagine during summer at least , you could make use of that free energy to at least preheat some of your hot water .

During summer , here in Australia it is all that is needed.

Consider re- circulating water through some collector pipes placed on the roof and back to a hot water storage vessel.

I have made an experimental hot water preheater with some PVC pipe that works almost too well.

There are many variations of this of course .

5TudGna.png

euXxt6H.jpg

VmC3j28.jpg

Ea53pis.jpg

You can use a solar powered recirculating pump to cycle the water through the pipe collector.

This one is for my little boat.

jWB3cSZ.jpg

Just a thought......

DPN9bEd.jpg

xrchNYB.jpg

This can be scaled to suit your needs. Copper pipe is better , but much more expensive.Both would need draining in winter for frost protection.

Indeed Arthur, after all this aggro I would check the unit and see if it is OK without charge if the OP wants to send it to me.

Can't fault that offer!

D'you have mains? If so a 10L or 15L undersink heater would do, watch the kW rating though, some are a bit high.

Agreed

Most power showers, and any worth standing under, will be more than 16amps. But a low power 10-20l unit will take x amount of time to heat but then have enough stored to do you a shower.

Else do the same with a calorifer and emersion.

Daniel

A very simple low tech solution is one of these.

We use it in the summer when we don't want to heat up water for a shower via the diesel stove and the calorifier.

One large kettle of hot water, topped up with cold gives you a really good shower.

link