(Another!) Three - The One Plan question

junior

Featured Posts

I use as much as 20 to 40Gb a week and was put onto the new tariff with a 4Gb tethering limit in January, when my contract expired. I still use 20 to 40Gb a week, so it's seems that in practice they're not actually limiting anything just yet.

So you may suddenly get a bill one month for 36Gb - how much will that be?

I'm pretty sure they can't switch you without at least attempting to inform you.

'abraxus' said he is on the new tariff with a 4Gb limit. So if they do find a way of knowing he is tethering 40Gb they would be perfectly in order to charge him for 36Gb which I think would be a load of money!

'abraxus' said he is on the new tariff with a 4Gb limit. So if they do find a way of knowing he is tethering 40Gb they would be perfectly in order to charge him for 36Gb which I think would be a load of money!

I think they are meant to let you know when you reach 80% then 100% of your allowance then not let you use more till you buy an add on. If so then if you go over it would be their problem not yours.

Oops sorry I got confused between Abraxus and Phil.

I would expect at least either a meter on my account page or some sort of cap or warning to let me know that i've exceeded or am approaching the limit. If I get the call then I'll certainly find out what measures they have in place to prevent people busting through the limit before I try this approach. I find it's very difficult to know how much data I'm getting through otherwise (my monthly download rate at the moment is up and down like a yoyo).

Nah,wouldn't cost anything Mike.

I asked them how much tethered data I used and they said they didn't know. So I said how could I possibly know what I was using, and what would happen if I hit the limit. Apparently they just restrict your access and then contact you to see if you want to buy more data.

apparently there are tethering apps available that can by-pass the tethering problem. They do this because the app uses the data then passes it on to you computer, so from your mobile providers' point of view it is just another app using data and strictly speaking not tethering. However on googling this there seems to be a bit of a war going on between apple and these apps to prevent this. I think on android it is less of a problem. Nevertheless it may be worth trying this, perhaps other people on here have done so successfully????

Nah,wouldn't cost anything Mike.

I asked them how much tethered data I used and they said they didn't know. So I said how could I possibly know what I was using, and what would happen if I hit the limit. Apparently they just restrict your access and then contact you to see if you want to buy more data.

That's good to know. My one plan expired last year and, like others, have been keeping a low profile while (personally) using up to 20Gb a month!! Didn't want to lose that by sticking my head over the parapet.