(Another!) Three - The One Plan question

junior

Featured Posts

I have a question for the people who had a Three Mobile - The One Plan contract changed to have their 'unlimited tethering' removed.

The question is this...

Did you all have prior notification from Three Mobile that it was going to happen, or did anybodies just dissappear without prior warning?

If you did get notification, was it by telephone, email or in person at a Three shop?

The reason I ask is that I still have my unlimited tethering. I know I'm going to loose it eventually, but I'm wondering if I'm going to wake up to a nasty surprise one morning, or if I'll manage to keep it until my contract is up for renewal in September.

For about 3 months recently I was getting 1 or 2 calls per day, every day, from a number that I didn't recognise. I never answered it once. A quick Google told me it was a number connected to Three Mobile. I'm sure this was them trying to contact me to tell me i would loose my tethering, but because I never answered they couldn't remove it from my contract without prior notification. They've stopped ringing me now so I thought they might have given up and will wait until I next have to contact them regarding my contract renewal.

If anyone states theirs was removed without notification from Three beforehand then I guess this is not the case and that I am on borrowed time.

I know it's bad form to ask for a thread to stay on topic, but from previous experience i know these "The One Plan" threads can get very cloudy sometimes, so I'd like to try and keep this one pertinent to the question I asked to try and make my detective work easier and to be helpful for others.

For about 3 months recently I was getting 1 or 2 calls per day, every day, from a number that I didn't recognise. I never answered it once. A quick Google told me it was a number connected to Three Mobile. I'm sure this was them trying to contact me to tell me i would loose my tethering, but because I never answered they couldn't remove it from my contract without prior notification. They've stopped ringing me now so I thought they might have given up and will wait until I next have to contact them regarding my contract renewal.

Exactly this ^^^^^^^^^

Like you, I deliberately ignored the calls, and they seem to have stopped for now.

Whilst I have been tempted to log on and look at billing and usage info, I have restrained from doing so, preferring (perhaps naively!) not to do anything that can demonstrate I know about it.

I'm kind of surprised they have not resorted to texting or emailing me, but, so far, nothing seen on that front.

This is a concern for me too. I've also ignored loads of calls, which have stopped.

Interestingly my contract ran out last summer, but I'm still on the One Plan at the moment, hoping to stay under the radar as long as possible!

I'm on the 30day contract and got a letter with what plan and date I would be on unless I contact them for a different plan. This was in January. I also got a txt near the date as well.

That's quite reassuring - thanks for that info.

I thought they would be obliged to take all reasonable steps to make sure you were aware, but it's always a tad worrying, particularly when you're out of contract.

Before I got the One Plan I had a dongle that gave me 15gb per month for £15 - I seem to remember if you went over your allowance the cost worked out something like £100 per GB. I can remember doing the maths several times because I couldn't believe it.

I was on the One Plan at £15 a month, and late last year I received a letter from Three telling me that the plan was ending and that once my contract expired they'd be automatically moving me to an equivalent, whch included unlimited data, but a 4gb cap on tethering, for £18. As a result I did call them and they agreed to keep the monthly charge at £15, and so now I'm on the new plan with 4gb tethering.

I will add two things though. The first is that I'm probably a high data user, in the order of tens of gb's a week, and I suspect they go after the higher users first. Secondly, when I called I did ask out of interest how much tethered data I used and they said they weren't able to tell, and since being put on the new plan, whenever I check my data allowance remaining it's always 4gb, despite quite a lot of usage, and so I suspect they don't have any reliable way as yet of differentiating between normal and tethered data usage.

To be honest it hasn't affected me that much, as my heaviest data use is streaming films and tv, Netflix, iPlayer etc, and so I just connect my phone to my tv with an HDMI lead and use the unlimited phone data.

They have probably been calling to offer you a new phone and contract, (I answered the call).

I'm midway through, and they offered me a new phone and contract at no extra charge, but I would lose tethering. I don't use it anyway.

I declined to do it, preferring to wait and see what future offers are.

I still have my unlimited everything, and have heard nothing since.

If your contract hasn't ended, I'm pretty sure they can't change it without your approval-which you could give without realising it.

My contract ended in January. Before this they tried to get me to take advantage of their free 0800 offer but, on investigation, this would have changed my contract to remove unlimited tethering.

I was paying £31 per month for phone and sim plan, so cancelled it myself in February. The best they would offer was £14 for the One Plan with 4Gb of tethering, so I declined.

I might have cut off my nose to spite my face, but I was never happy with the data speed and traffic management, and the free 4G was no faster than their slow 3G.

Without rabbiting on for ages, I'm probably going to end up with a Giffgaff £10 per month deal on my phone, and a £20 per month 15Gb data sim from EE in my mifi gizmo. Still £30 per month, and possibly out of the frying pan.... but I was quite disappointed with Three and the way they did things.

My 'One Plan' contract ended in Feb this year. Three called and then Text to get me to contact them, eventually when I continued to ignore them they sent a text with the new plan i would be put on when my contract expired.

I did ring them at that point, as I wasnt happy with the lower call limits ets, and after several days and calls, agreed an unlimited calls, test and data for £15 (still with a theoretical 4GB limit on tethering, - tho I've yet to see that happen).

I was a high data user, and went for the EE 15GB sim, same cost as Three - BUT they will allow a 30 day rolling contract - Three wanted a 24 month fixed contract for a sim only data plan. - stupid!

Three did not approach me after the end of my contract. When I called them they were able to tell me that I never used more than 200 minutes a month, and tended to used around 20Gb of data.

If you are paying £15 a month for a sim only One Plan, and use around 20Gb of data or less, you might be off their radar and a long way from being contacted.

My wife has a £15 per month sim only one plan where the 12 month contract ended in September 2013.She hardly uses any data and hasn't heard a thing from Three.

So from replies so far, it seems that they do use texts and letters to get to people, not just these phone calls we've all been getting and ignoring.

It also looks like they might be going after high data usage customers first.

I'm on the new terms and conditions. I ignored the calls, then they sent a letter and text saying from this date forward etc. I got them to include the £10 loyalty discount which they have since removed as we'll. I was and am a low data user

15-20gb a month. So I don't think data usage is a consideration to who they target.

There doesn't seem to much alternative at the moment.

Regards kris

• 3 weeks later...

If you know the number (ie it shows up on caller ID) Google it so find out who called you. Also, answering the call will reveal the info....

Yep done that, it's Three Mobile UK support. I don't answer as i suspect that they are calling to tell me I'm loosing my unlimited Tethering. I know it's going to happen anyway eventually, but I'm doing everything i can to prolong it.

My 12 month contract expires in less than a month and I still haven't heard a squeak out of Three. Long may it remain that way. Still not entirely sure what we'll do when they do get round to us as we (well, mostly I) use 20 to 40 Gb a month.

Might be worth keeping an eye out:

"Moderator: Lauren February 17, 2015 @Joel – I’m really sorry to hear that you feel this way. We’re migrating out of contract customers from old plans on to our new plans.

We’re contacting the customers affected by this and giving them the option to upgrade or cancel. If we don’t hear from the people affected, we’ll move them on to a 1 month SIM Only plan."

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/07/15/personal-hotspot-new-sim-plans/

My 12 month contract expires in less than a month and I still haven't heard a squeak out of Three. Long may it remain that way. Still not entirely sure what we'll do when they do get round to us as we (well, mostly I) use 20 to 40 Gb a month.

I use as much as 20 to 40Gb a week and was put onto the new tariff with a 4Gb tethering limit in January, when my contract expired. I still use 20 to 40Gb a week, so it's seems that in practice they're not actually limiting anything just yet.

I've heard this from a couple of sources now. Seems like they can't differentiate between tethered and non-tethered? Or I was speculating that maybe they can but they can't report it yet on the usage webpage in your account which would seem to me to be a necessary step to implement this.

Well I just checked my 3 account and it is still showing that I am on the one plan sim only. The original 12 months contract ran out nearly a year ago and I have been on rolling contract since. Still tethering and downloaded 40 gig of movies this week.

Edited to add I also saw on the my 3 account that it says I am able to upgrade but I don't think I want to.

Edited by Phil.