Steel bars over doors. welders fabricators?

Featured Posts

Hi there, I'm after any photo's or examples of steel bars over bow or stern doors. Could use a little design inspiration. I've seen a few that look like box section has been used which also semi covers the padlock. I don't like taking photos of this kind of thing when people are not on their boats, looks a bit dodgy!

I have some basic designs in mind but they are very rudimentary.

Happy sunshine and spring time(almost) Ed

Similar devices can be viewed in prisons. So if you commit a criminal act and you could at the very least be remanded in custard in Wormwood Scrubs- Brixton or if your nice and courteous to the judge, perhaps a prison of your choice. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

Do they not just advertise that a boat is left unattended?

My sentiments entirely. I have moored all over the place over the years without problem. One dog is worth twenty steel bars and several padlocks.

Tim

If they can't get in through the doors they will just go in through the window. Easy to do and being toughened glass it doesn't make much noise if you know what you are doing. It is one argument in favour of small portholes, but how secure are your side doors? Most can be got in through silently in ten seconds.

I sometime feel like leaving a key hanging on the slide, at least it will do less damage.

Speaking from experience of having two break-ins recently, the first in 25 years of having a boat on the canal.

A few years back..several boats were 'done' by the Harcastle tunnel.

It 'appeared' that a group of kids just lined up down the side and smashed in ALL the windows simultaneously.

One boat even had a dog on board !

If someone wants to break in...they will...and bars make it look more obvious ( as has been said here)

My own boat had a camera system...that relayed to my mobile phone..

It sent a nice photo (when I was an hour away) of a hoodie giving the camera the 'bird'...shortly before..they STOLE THE CAMERA SYSTEM !!

A few years back..several boats were 'done' by the Harcastle tunnel.

It 'appeared' that a group of kids just lined up down the side and smashed in ALL the windows simultaneously.

One boat even had a dog on board !

If someone wants to break in...they will...and bars make it look more obvious ( as has been said here)

My own boat had a camera system...that relayed to my mobile phone..

It sent a nice photo (when I was an hour away) of a hoodie giving the camera the 'bird'...shortly before..they STOLE THE CAMERA SYSTEM !!

Which is exactly why we got rid of ours.

How long would you leave a dog unattended on a boat?

We are not hobby boaters so we have the dog with us 24/7 365. We would never leave the dog overnight on its own but very often for 8 hours, with of course plenty of water and shade on hot days. If very hot in summer we leave all doors and windows open so the dog can get outside if wanted, never had a problem so far.

Scum will get in to any boat they want to however much you lock it up as with other kinds of vermin thieves are very hard to eradicate . We have nowt worth nicking anyway. I appreciate that hobby boaters cannot generaly leave a dog onboard.

Tim

so nay in favour of door protection seems to be the consensus.

I'm personally not that concerned about security but people keep banging on about putting bars over the doors.

May just go for another option of steel re-inforcement in doors and around locks but more inconspicuous.

Or a full portcullis and crocodiles...

Personally i am changing my front and rear doors/hatch from wood to steel, just because hasps screwed into wood are just ridiculous! , a few years ago i had a set of steel shutters to cover all the bankside windows, they were secured with bolts accessed from the inside through the top hoppers, they inspired confidence when leaving the boat, although i agree if someone wants to get in they will, i just think if your boat looks more difficult to break into than the next one, it may just be left alone.

Rick

Some may be aware that we have invested in two Jack Russell Terrier pups.

They are now four months old and are starting to warn us of people being around. They have a little grumble and sonetimes a bark or two we are attempting to get them to stop by a little reassurance,which seems to work,so far.

We have a internal security bar across the front doors. You'd never get in through them. They are not visible from the outside. Our last breakin was via one of the front windows.

Just goes to show, a boat never 100% secure.

Martyn

Several of our friends just leave their boats unlocked. The locks are next to useless anyway and the damage caused to the sliding cockpit doors would be very expensive to to repair if you could at all and god only knows where you would get replacements from. wacko.png

We do lock ours but it wouldn't take a genius to get in. I have seen diaries with more secure locks rolleyes.gif

Several of our friends just leave their boats unlocked. The locks are next to useless anyway and the damage caused to the sliding cockpit doors would be very expensive to to repair if you could at all and god only knows where you would get replacements from. wacko.png

We do lock ours but it wouldn't take a genius to get in. I have seen diaries with more secure locks rolleyes.gif

Yes, we also work on the principle that there isn't anything on board we'd be devastated to lose.

Not a practicable approach for a live-aboard, though.