washing machine.

series3

Featured Posts

On our previous boat we had a Candy Aquamatic, a compact auto due to space constraints, could not fault it. On our present boat I recently replaced the old auto with a Indesit model IWSD61251 ( what it says on the front) it's A+ rated and is superb.

My opinion only.

Phil

On our previous boat we had a Candy Aquamatic, a compact auto due to space constraints, could not fault it. On our present boat I recently replaced the old auto with a Indesit model IWSD61251 ( what it says on the front) it's A+ rated and is superb.

My opinion only.

Phil

What inverter are you using to run it from?

Bod

I would always go for full size as they cost less and wash more and aint that much bigger, I always found space for them. I did have the little zanusi on one boat and it was fine. Got a 7kg LG on this boat.

Tim

Most washing machines should run on an inverter with 2500 watts output

Be it a combi or a stand alone inverter

Keith

As long as inverter output is pure sinewave (PSW).

Zanussi ZWC1301W is popular compact model. Max consumption 1600 watts.

We have a Harris (full size) twin tub. Brilliant, lightweight and dries the clothes much better than our automatic at home. Uses about 300 watts when washing/spinning. Yes you have to fill it up yourself, two buckets hot to one bucket cold (and empty it of course!). We tend to do the wash on the move and just before getting to a water point. A couple of buckets of cold water are usually enough to rinse and spin while we fill the water tank.

Thanks for that...

even you bottle.

We have looked but wanted the advice of others.

Glad you liked it. wink.png

as you can see there is no true answer, I could have told you my set up was the bee's knees or the best thing since sliced bread but that is because I like everyone else, made the decision that was best for us.

I looked at physical size, economy rating, max. power required, known make, tests etc. etc.

ps, mine is a full size CDA washer/dryer.

Zanussi ZWC1301W is popular compact model. Max consumption 1600 watts.

I have the same machine or perhaps mine's an older model (ZWC 1300W)

What inverter are you using to run it from?

Bod

Who says he wants to run it from an inverter?

I run mine from a generator when away from shore power. I only have an 1800w pseudo/semi sinewave inverter so that wouldn't work. But even if I had a decent inverter I'm not sure my 10 year old batteries could cope!

Edited by blackrose

I have the same machine or perhaps mine's an older model (ZWC 1300W)

Who says he wants to run it from an inverter?

I run mine from a generator when away from shore power. I only have an 1800w pseudo/semi sinewave inverter so that wouldn't work. But even if I had a decent inverter I'm not sure my 10 year old batteries could cope!

Too bloomin true. I would never run a high leccy user thro an inverter even when I have the kit on board to do it ( such as now ) a gennie of some description is a far better option and has the advantage that if you forget to switch it on between 8 and 8 you cant do the flippin washing biggrin.png

Tim

Assuming you have access to shore power, a washer/dryer would be a good bet if you live aboard. I have two full size separate units and am thinking of replacing both with a combined unit, and using the freed-up space for man's greatest single invention - a dishwasher.

Assuming you have access to shore power, a washer/dryer would be a good bet if you live aboard. I have two full size separate units and am thinking of replacing both with a combined unit, and using the freed-up space for man's greatest single invention - a dishwasher.

smiley_offtopic.gif of washers...& I appreciate I'll be going against the grain of quite a few here; but a dishwasher is the absolute last electrical appliance/kitchen aid I would ever invest in. I just don't get the point of them really

Living on a boat (even our widebeam) I'd much rather have the space for an extra cupboard than a dishwasher.

But, then again; to each their own smile.png

Edited by Bettie Boo

smiley_offtopic.gif of washers...& I appreciate I'll be going against the grain of quite a few here; but a dishwasher is the absolute last electrical appliance/kitchen aid I would ever invest in. I just don't get the point of them really

Living on a boat (even our widebeam) I'd much rather have the space for an extra cupboard than a dishwasher.

But, then again; to each their own smile.png

I need a woman like you, Bettie.

You wash, I'll cook. (And eat!)

Too bloomin true. I would never run a high leccy user thro an inverter even when I have the kit on board to do it.

I think this is part of the reason my batteries are still functional after nearly 10 years. They've lost a lot of capacity but can still keep me going for a few days between charges.

...and using the freed-up space for man's greatest single invention - a dishwasher.

That's a step too far on a boat in my opinion.

Washing clothes by hand is bloody hard work and going to the laundrette can be time-consuming and downright depressing, but washing a few pots and dishes takes minutes and avoiding it is just pure laziness in my view.

I will be using a mixer tap to control the water temp.

It will be powered through a 24v inverter.

I also have no use for a dishwasher although they use a lot less water than handwashing.

will be fitting a good set of 2v cells and solar.

I think this is part of the reason my batteries are still functional after nearly 10 years. They've lost a lot of capacity but can still keep me going for a few days between charges.

That's a step too far on a boat in my opinion.

Washing clothes by hand is bloody hard work and going to the laundrette can be time-consuming and downright depressing, but washing a few pots and dishes takes minutes and avoiding it is just pure laziness in my view.

You are on your own, I believe, Blackrose, and probably don't cook anything very complicated.

I will be using a mixer tap to control the water temp.

It will be powered through a 24v inverter.

I also have no use for a dishwasher although they use a lot less water than handwashing.

will be fitting a good set of 2v cells and solar.

I would still have the engine/generator running, kill two birds with one stone, charge batteries and supply the washing machine.

Timing is everything. wink.png

I would still have the engine/generator running, kill two birds with one stone, charge batteries and supply the washing machine.

Timing is everything. wink.png

This is what I do, plan washing for when the engine will be running.

It's not a problem, however I can see some interesting conversations this summer on the days I want to do washing and the engine doesn't need to be turned on to charge the batteries due to the solar doing that :)