Kelvin K2 water pump packing

routerfixer

Featured Posts

Hi fellow Kelvin lovers,

I have a small leak from the water pump on my K2, have been told it probably just needs some new packing.

Question is what size/type should I buy? The Parts List just says packing per foot.

I don't want to take the pump apart until I have the right stuff to replace it with.

Thanks

Steve

Have recently fully refurbished the pump on my K3. Was a long journey. I believe yours is a single-acting as opposed to double-acting lift pump. However, the pump gland had been overtightened before we bought the boat (rather than replace the packing) which resulted in the internal rod being slightly bent. This in turn created oscillation and wear in the pump liner. At first, we just replaced the leather seals but it still peed out and upon further inspection discovered the above. Had the pump rod turned down, sleeved and a better pump liner/body. All ok now apart from a nasty leak from the exhaust manifold outlet. I understand that the manifold can be bypassed from the coolant supply as not really required. I think the new seals may have been a neoprene disc x 2 or 3.