River Trent - Single Handing

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Anyone except you?

Of course, having attracted the attention of a passing boat by throwing your phone at it, you wouldn't need any help from the Emergency Services anyway, unless the skipper and crew of the passing boat were so clueless that they couldn't manage to get you under tow.

Of course, having attracted the attention of a passing boat by throwing your phone at it, you wouldn't need any help from the Emergency Services anyway, unless the skipper and crew of the passing boat were so clueless that they couldn't manage to get you under tow.

What if they have a boat that wont tow you?

Or they happen to clock onto who you are and refuse to tow you?

You attract the attention of the first boat that comes past by chucking the phone at it . . . . then after being rescued by the boat that would have turned up anyway irrespective of the absence of any call for help, you can go and buy a new phone that works better than the one that's in the river.

Or you could carry a vhf radio.............

Joking apart it never ceases to amaze me why so many boaters shy away from carrying a very vety very very very basic piece of LIFE SAVING EQUIPMENT

In the great scheme of things they cost absolutely bloody peanuts to purchase. A forum member having just sold a good one for forty squid. The course is an absolute doddle and even without a course just buy one and listen in and heaven forbid if the you know what hits the fan transmit you flippin location and ask for help!!! I can assure you you will not be arrested, clapped in irons and end up at the Old Bailey................Jeeeeeeesus

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

Can you quote any instances when boats have 'foundered' in a river as a direct consequence of not having VHF. . . . . . I've always believed that it was due to being holed and making uncontrollable quantities of water that caused boats to sink.

This of course not being what I said at all. Edited by MJG

No you dont need a vhf radio,,,,, I do tidal Trent a LOT , is handy if you do have one (you need a lic in theory) a mobile phone will suffice the only place you need 2 persons on board is if you go through ocean lock in Goole and that route is not advisable if you havent done it before , there is the occasional big boat moving up/down river so just keep an eye over your shoulder lockies will tell you if any are on the move ,,pps Thames is a gentle stream compared to the trent in full flow

This of course not being not what I said at all.

What you said is this . . . quoted from your post #63 . . .

. . . . "should anybody ever venture out onto that section of the tidal Trent and got into difficulties and their boat foundered and was lost and it transpired that no VHF was a factor". . . .

I'll now repeat the question . . . . Can you quote any instances when boats have 'foundered' in a river as a direct consequence of not having VHF ? . . . . . . I've always believed that it was due to being holed and making uncontrollable quantities of water that caused boats to sink.

What you said is this . . . quoted from your post #63 . . .

. . . . "should anybody ever venture out onto that section of the tidal Trent and got into difficulties and their boat foundered and was lost and it transpired that no VHF was a factor". . . .

I'll now repeat the question . . . . Can you quote any instances when boats have 'foundered' in a river as a direct consequence of not having VHF ? . . . . . . I've always believed that it was due to being holed and making uncontrollable quantities of water that caused boats to sink.

Your efforts at diversionary tactics are admirable, however the meaning is clear ie lack of Vhf as a factor in the incident overall. any fool knows that a lack of VHF cannot sink a boat, even you must realise this surely?

Your efforts at diversionary tactics are admirable, however the meaning is clear ie lack of Vhf as a factor in the incident overall. any fool knows that a lack of VHF cannot sink a boat, even you must realise this surely?

Alright then, explain how the 'lack of VHF' is a 'factor' in a sinking.

Alright then, explain how the 'lack of VHF' is a 'factor' in a sinking.

Explain something I didn't say ?

I think you need to read posts more carefully.

Edited by MJG

You've said it twice, in #63 and #82.

Look Tony no matter how much you try to make out I have said something that I haven't it doesn't make it true so I will leave you to try and work out what actually was said rather than what you want it to say

Good evening.

And another thread gets waylaid!

I'm sure that the OP of this thread is chuffed sick that he even asked it now!

Nipper

However what has emerged is the valuable advice from somebody that boats professionally that VHF is a valuable resource to have to hand when on that section of the Trent.

That alone should be good enough for the Op to base their decision on.

However what has emerged is the valuable advice from somebody that boats professionally that VHF is a valuable resource to have to hand when on that section of the Trent.

That alone should be good enough for the Op to base their decision on.

Indeed, but, I can't help thinking that advice was given at the start of this thread, before Tony felt the urge to argue with someone!

Never mind, the OP will be fine!

Being a sea going boater for the last 50 years, I cant see why rivers hold such dread for inland water boaters, but, if one hasn't done any rivers, I suppose there is a certain amount of nervousness about doing one.

I well remember my first time around Portland bill, at night, singlehanded ,in my sailing boat, I had no fingernails left, nor dinner, come to that!

Nipper

Nipper

Look Tony no matter how much you try to make out I have said something that I haven't it doesn't make it true so I will leave you to try and work out what actually was said rather than what you want it to say

Good evening.

I've no need to" try to make out" anything, the nonsense you've been posting is there for everyone to see . . . perhaps you should edit the tripe out of all of your posts, although it would be quite a big job and there wouldn't be much left afterwards.

Indeed, but, I can't help thinking that advice was given at the start of this thread, before Tony felt the urge to argue with someone!

Being a sea going boater for the last 50 years, I cant see why rivers hold such dread for inland water boaters, but, if one hasn't done any rivers, I suppose there is a certain amount of nervousness about doing one.

I well remember my first time around Portland bill, at night, singlehanded ,in my sailing boat, I had no fingernails left, nor dinner, come to that!

Nipper

Nipper

Anthony would argue with himself in a dark room if he thought it would get threads closed where he has been proven wrong on so many counts.

People seem to be cottoning on to this now.

It does rather undermine anything he has to say and it's a great shame when the OP was being given some good advice from others.

Nipper

Nipper

I think it's the fear of the unknown tbh to a degree at least. And the width compared to the canals plus of course the affects of the flow and tides, it all adds an additional dimension you don't need to consider when on most of our inland waterways.

We have boated on tidal rivers on the Broads and its a different experience for sure. The non tidal ones like the Aire are not actually much different from a wide canal most of the time.

Edited by MJG

, I cant see why rivers hold such dread for inland water boaters, but, if one hasn't done any rivers, I suppose there is a certain amount of nervousness about doing one.

Being an ex lumpy-water boater I find the Rivers (and particularly Tidal Rivers) to cause some apprehension.

The difference is that on the sea you/we/I are using a 'proper' boat which is designed for the conditions likely to be encountered.

On the River (using a long thin underpowered steel tube with no keel) it is not unusual to find a flow of 4 mph and whilst the boat is capable of 4-5mph sitting there virtually going backwards is of concern - throw in a bit of cross-wind and it can start to look a bit 'hairy'.

A mechanical failure on the Sea means you can just sit there drifting until the problem is solved or rescue arrives - on the River, mechanical failure means that you may well be drifting out of control towards a 'huge' weir.

Anchoring takes on a new meaning on the rivers - if you do it, it is probably because of an emergency.

Given the choice - the sea every time (SWMBO is the opposite)

Many thanks for all the useful info and advice, including PMs. I'm happy single handing on non tidal rivers as there are usually plenty of places to moor if the conditions change. However, as Alan said in the previous post a narrow boat isn't designed for this type of water and I don't want to push my luck. On balance I think I'll probably return on the HNC.

Many thanks for all the useful info and advice, including PMs. I'm happy single handing on non tidal rivers as there are usually plenty of places to moor if the conditions change. However, as Alan said in the previous post a narrow boat isn't designed for this type of water and I don't want to push my luck. On balance I think I'll probably return on the HNC.

I think that's a shame, not because there's anything wrong with the HNC - we're going there ourselves again this summer - but because the Tidal Trent is a beautiful stretch of river which you will be missing. It's really not that difficult, and provided you follow the good bits of advice on this thread and ignore the rest you will be fine especially if you offer the trip to someone who could crew for you.

Nipper

Nipper

Rivers such as the Humber, lower Ouse and lower Trent need treating with the utmost respect and a great deal of caution, and for those unfamiliar with them a little 'dread' may be no bad thing. It will certainly encourage them to be well prepared and careful, and to only venture out on to these rivers in a reliable and suitable boat. However, listening to advice that could have them thinking that everything will be fine as long as you're carrying VHF, where it isn't really needed, isn't doing anyone any favours at all.

The list of 'essentials' for a safe and enjoyable run up the Trent from Keadby to Cromwell is not beyond the scope of any sensible and responsible boater, but with the present absence of commercial traffic above Keadby bridge, VHF isn't one of the items on it.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Well, that's your decision, but I think you will miss out on a lovely river and, of coarse, the experience.

If it were me, I would be tempted to wait until another boat was going your way and team up.

It wont be long as tide times dictate when they arrive from their, probable overnight moorings.

Most boaters would be only too pleased to help, to be honest most times I have "done the Trent" there have been 4 or 5 other boats.

Have a think and have a chat to others on your travels.

And lets face it, it is usually not for you to open those gates, the lockies do it, and they wont let you out till the time is right.

They are also in their place of work and they know a lot about the river and are happy to pass on some tips and advice!

Nipper

But fancy being cast adrift for weeks on end in the ocean after shipwreck in a 10' rubber dinghy with the main participants of this thread, with a VHF that's out of range. Tongues hangin out with dreadful thirst barely quenched by the odd spot of rain and by licking the morning dew off the rubber dinghy. Smothered all over and complexions ruined with sun baked festering sea boils and getting hungrier and hungrier and hungrier. Sinister and terrible cannibalistic thoughts trouble the minds as each and every one peers around at each other with bloodshot goggling eyes.

The question is. Who will be ganged up upon to be eaten first? ohmy.pngunsure.pngclosedeyes.gif

Ps I reckon old Meggers will plump for a Meggerphone after this.

Edited by bizzard