Food Intolerances

LittleMallard

Featured Posts

However, it does seem odd to me that far fewer people ever complained about these ailments in the past,

In my opinion there is growing evidence that modern life, with all its processed foods, added chemicals,absolutely sterile living etc is making the human body susceptible to allergies and intolerances.

The news earlier this month that there is evidence very young children can have nut allergies (particularly peanuts) treated by careful medical exposure to peanuts IMO adds weight to this view.

My first point would account for why there are more cases now than in the past. Generation A has been exposed to these things at one level. Then comes along generation B (born of already affected parents) and they are exposed to higher levels and so it goes on. Making each succeeding generation more susceptible.

All us oldies being mostly the dustbin generation of always hungry kids could eat a scabby horse between two mattresses and not suffer. Being so blessed with the constitution of a wheelie bin I have the greatest sympathy with anybody with allergies and intolerance.

Looking at some of the noodle suggestions makes me think they would be well worth a try , the more mainstream a product becomes the more available it is . Maybe we should all go buy and try some of these foods. Looks like Yum Yum foods will be getting a visit next time I'm down town.

I wouldn't wish being a coeliac on anyone, it can make you horribly ill before you get diagnosed. There's a difference between that and some North London quinoa munching yummy mummy buying gluten free bread down the farmers market. One is a genuine illness and one is a fashion fad.

I'm with jerra here. Remove processed foods from your diet, as much as you can, I've been eating paleo for ages now, and am healthier and leaner for it.

I'm lucky to also have madcats constitution, but that doesn't mean I actively want to eat rubbish! :)

In my opinion there is growing evidence that modern life, with all its processed foods, added chemicals,absolutely sterile living etc is making the human body susceptible to allergies and intolerances.

The news earlier this month that there is evidence very young children can have nut allergies (particularly peanuts) treated by careful medical exposure to peanuts IMO adds weight to this view.

My first point would account for why there are more cases now than in the past. Generation A has been exposed to these things at one level. Then comes along generation B (born of already affected parents) and they are exposed to higher levels and so it goes on. Making each succeeding generation more susceptible.

There is indeed evidence to suggest that some allergies are caused by a lack of exposure to the allergen in infancy. However, food allergies and food intolerances are not the same thing, and as far as I'm aware (though I may be wrong), there is no such evidence when it comes to food intolerances.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/food-allergy-myths?page=2

I wouldn't wish being a coeliac on anyone, it can make you horribly ill before you get diagnosed. There's a difference between that and some North London quinoa munching yummy mummy buying gluten free bread down the farmers market. One is a genuine illness and one is a fashion fad.

I agree with that. The problem is that many of the fashion fad persuasion are under the impression that they have a genuine illness.

Edited by blackrose

I'm with jerra here. Remove processed foods from your diet, as much as you can, I've been eating paleo for ages now, and am healthier and leaner for it.

Ditching the junk is always a good idea, along with too many animal products, too much saturated fat, salt and sugar, but as yet there isn't enough peer reviewed scientific evidence and the jury is still out on whether the paleo diet is just another fashion fad or beneficial (or even whether it's harmful as some have claimed). However, if you feel better for it then carry on. There are many possibilities for what produces beneficial feelings after changes in lifestyle, including the placebo effect, which in itself is beneficial.

Edited by blackrose

and as far as I'm aware (though I may be wrong), there is no such evidence when it comes to food intolerances.

As far as I'm aware (though I may be wrong) there is no such thing as widebeams - the reason I know this to be true is because I don't have one.

rolleyes.gif

LittleMallard, as Ally says, sweet potato noodles are a good option for the cupboard. As are rice noodles and Zero noodles (which you can get from Holland and Barratt) for different texture. Like Ally I also use ribbons of courgette or celeriac instead of pasta, and I make pancakes using coconut flour. Seasoned coconut flour is also useful for making a coating for fish or meat before frying or for thickening sauces. I find ground flaxseed is good for thickening too. I avoid bread as the freefroms are full of chemicals. Takes some getting used to but I don't miss it at all round the home now. And without having bread around I don't miss butter much, now I have nowt to put it on. biggrin.png

Dining out can be tricky, but I find it easier in pubs than in most restaurants. I go for simple foods without loads of ingredients - like steak, or salmon or roast chicky. And swap any extras I can't have for salad or sweet potato chips (Old English Inn chain of pubs does sweet potato chips now - I expect a few others do too)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

get some gluten free flour and cornmeal you can do loads of flatbreads and muffins with stuff like bacon and other things in them my wife is gluten intolerant so do lots of homemade dishes for her

I've tried gluten free stuff but can't stand the texture, because of the ground rice I think, Thought of trying coconut flour but the price made me decide I can survive without many baked products! In any case being just intolerant I can take gluten in small amounts now and then which helps me to cut back on carbohydrates so avoiding flour products, including gluten free, will kill two birds with one stone.

I think we are overloading our bodies with gluten, responsible for many modern ills IMO.

Bizz,you never fail to make me laugh.Reckon your ideas should be made available on the NHS as an anti depressant.

Trina

Thanks Trina, but be warned! ''This thread was manufactured on a forum that contains lots of mixed nuts''.

Edited by bizzard

Not on a boat yet (hopefully within the next month), but have quite severe dietary restrictions myself too. I'm thinking of stocking up on this, just for when I run out of the more interesting things:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soylent-With-Blend-full-meals/dp/B00NL2COGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426801449&sr=8-2&keywords=soylent

Worth having a look at if you haven't come across it before. This mix is gluten, wheat and dairy free but should give you everything you need nutritionally. More info on their site: http://www.soylent.me.

My GF is Lactose and Gluten intolerant. I can vouch first hand of the effects in the bed room after she has eaten it. wacko.png

When we go out on the boat we take as much Dried pasta as we can and this time I will taking my Breadmaker (if the inverter can cope ) so we can make bread when we are traveling.

Bob

My GF is Lactose and Gluten intolerant. I can vouch first hand of the effects in the bed room after she has eaten it. wacko.png

When we go out on the boat we take as much Dried pasta as we can and this time I will taking my Breadmaker (if the inverter can cope ) so we can make bread when we are traveling.

Bob

I'm gluten intolerant too - only came on as I got older. I think the prevalence of it in recent years is to do with the kind of fast growing wheat used now (2 crops per year) that is not so easy for humans to digest. (I remember seeing a TV programme in the UK last year about it - an American doctor had done research on the rising prevalence of gluten intolerance.) And I am sure the additives in processed foods are not too flash for our insides either - we totally avoid foods/drinks with aspartame, for a start!

On the boat and at home in NZ, we cook from scratch always. I've not had any trouble sourcing gf food in the UK, and on the boat we have lots of gf pasta, rice, and gf flour. I make pikelets (small pancakes but fatter) and have used rice milk or soy milk. Haven't tried egg substitute though.

I have two yummy gf and dairyfree desserts that I make, but they do have eggs. One is orange syrup cake and the other is chocolate brownie. Both are recipes by Alison and Simon Holst, so if anyone wants to try them, out google their names, it may help to add NZ into the search if looking from the UK ... They don't specify gf flour - I just substitute it.

I tend to stock up on gf flours and other products (gf nibbly treat things ...) at Holland and Barrett whenever we are close by, and they do a wonderful soy cream cheese which is almost indistinguishable from the real thing - fabulous with sweet thai chilli sauce over it for dipping with gf crackers. The alpro soy yoghurt you have in the UK is really good (we don't have a plain soy yoghurt available here in NZ and I miss it).

We buy meat and gf sausages at the butchers or supermarkets (if we have to) and re-pack them into plastic bags so it takes less space in the tiny freezer on the boat, I keep an extra loaf of gf bread in the freezer (although I haven't found a gf bread I really like in the UK yet) and I grow lettuces and herbs in long tubs on top of the boat. I make our salad dressings, usually with honey, lemon or lime juice and grated green ginger (I store the ginger in the freezer) so no dairy or gluten involved.

We try to shop at small local shops near the cut for veges, fruit and non-foodstuffs.

If eating out we tend to go for asian places where it's easier to avoid the stuff I shouldn't eat.