Serious Incident - Shropshire Union Nr Chester 11/03/2015

Colin Smith

Featured Posts

On the evening of Wednesday 11th March 2015, between c.18:50pm and 19:15pm a 65ft Narrowboat called “Living The Dream 2“, index # 51235 was driven at full speed along the moorings at Golden Nook, just after bridge 114 towards Chester on the Shropshire Union Canal.

The boat hit numerous moored boats and rammed one head-on at full speed causing thousands of £s of damage. Fortunately (and bravely) another barge owner managed to jump aboard the speeding boat and bring it to a stop. The ‘skipper’ of the barge (who was a drunk female) was arrested by police who attended the scene.

It is believed that “Living The Dream 2“had travelled from the area of Tattenhall Marina. Whilst there are witnesses to the main incident, if anyone has any information regarding this boat and its owner or witnessed it travelling along the Shroppie on Wednesday 11th March, could you please contact either myself via this forum or the Police by dialling 101 and quoting Log # 732 11/03/2015; Crime Ref: CC15068963.

Thank you.

Colin Smith

My word how extraordinary!

It goes to show that alcohol and operating boats is not a compatible set of activities particularly when done to excess.

I am sure I have seen that boat in the past but can't help with sightings on this occasion. I would have thought the owner (if not the lady arrested) could be traced via the licence registration and CRT along with where it is normally moored if not a CCer.

Edited by churchward

The skipper of the barge (who was a drunk female) was arrested by police who attended the scene.

Do you know what offence she was arrested for? It would be very interesting if it was anything relating to her being drunk in charge of the boat.

Do you know what offence she was arrested for? It would be very interesting if it was anything relating to her being drunk in charge of the boat.

It could be almost anything from arrested to save a breach of the peace, she may have made verbal insults or threats to the police officer or members of the public or indeed just drunk and disorderly. It is possible to be arrested for just being drunk in a public place.

On the evening of Wednesday 11th March 2015, between c.18:50pm and 19:15pm a 65ft Narrowboat called “Living The Dream 2“, index # 51235 was driven at full speed along the moorings at Golden Nook, just after bridge 114 towards Chester on the Shropshire Union Canal.

The boat hit numerous moored boats and rammed one head-on at full speed causing thousands of £s of damage. Fortunately (and bravely) another barge owner managed to jump aboard the speeding boat and bring it to a stop. The ‘skipper’ of the barge (who was a drunk female) was arrested by police who attended the scene.

It is believed that “Living The Dream 2“had travelled from the area of Tattenhall Marina. Whilst there are witnesses to the main incident, if anyone has any information regarding this boat and its owner or witnessed it travelling along the Shroppie on Wednesday 11th March, could you please contact either myself via this forum or the Police by dialling 101 and quoting Log # 732 11/03/2015; Crime Ref: CC15068963.

Thank you.

Colin Smith

It was a friend of mine who lives on the moorings who lives there on a narrowboat (Not barge!) who jumped aboard and stopped the boat, quite scary!

Tim

I would've thought 'criminal damage' for starters! Tie her to the mast and 50 lashes ... no, not the eyelid stick-on's!

Seriously though, utterly outrageous and absolutely no excuse whatsoever! She should at the very least be refused a licence from now on.

Im not 100 % sure but i think a boat with this name was on ebay recently . I seem to remember the name striking me as a bit crap & it stuck in the memory .

That said , its likely there are other boats with similar names & so the one on ebay may not be the same as this one

A genuine question:

Is it the boat or the individual that is licenced?

'Tis the boat that is licensed, there's no 'driving licence' for boats in the UK.

Any number of reasons why she might have been arrested - but folk should not be surprised if she appears back on board in the near future.

A genuine question:

Is it the boat or the individual that is licenced?

I take it you're not an inland boater? It's always the boat BUT the applicant is a person and CRT have/are proposing to stop licences from being transferred with a boat to ensure that the new owner/applicant understands what is required of them re licencing T&C's.

"Is it the boat or the individual that is licenced?"

" 'Tis the boat that is licensed, there's no 'driving licence' for boats in the UK."

Made me dig out our licence papers, on which is stated: "If you sell your boat before its licence expires....." - so it would appear the licence is for the boat, and the customer(s) is just the guardian of the licence.

Reminds me of the British Passport - you're the holder of your Passport, not the owner. It belongs to the British Government. You may not give it to others, eg. when hotels ask for it to have in their safe overnight.

I bet her insurance company loves her! But, if stolen, does the insurance company pay for damage done whilst being driven whilst being stolen...?

I actually don't know if there is an alcohol limit for canals, and certainly don't want to re-awaken such a 140-page thread. Quite happy to be ignorant and start the mornings poking the stove, turning on the radio Classic FM, and have a sip of single malt and a cup of tea...

I'll name it the Cheshire Cat, she owns the boat, she lives on it in Tattenhall Marina, but spends a lot of time outside the Cat, she has caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to various boats and apparently her attitude was couldn't care less!

And yes it is the black one with white double glazed UPVC windows, it was on eBay a year or so ago, has something like MDN Shotblasting services on the side of it, very nice and swanky inside fittout as I remember it from Devizes, ironically it is a Eggbridge boat built locally and now moors I. The very local vicinity of where it was first built!!

I think we spoke with her back in December. She came to help us re-tie someone's boat that had come adrift. She seemed very friendly.

Think she had a strong accent, but can't remember which. Memory is saying American??