Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Now that our new inverter is installed onboard I can start using the slow cooker again. I have missed have a nice hot meal cooking away whilst we cruise along.

Yesterday we had slow cooked lamb shanks. We picked these up from Lincoln markets, 2 huge shanks for £4.

To prepare I simply added chopped leek, onion gravy and a heaped table spoon of mint sauce to the pot, placed the shanks on top and seasoned well with salt and pepper. Put the lid on and leave on low power all day, these had about ten hours.

Baste the shanks in the gravy every couple of hours or so.

I served these with mashed root vegetables (carrot, parsnip and turnip) with a good knob of butter in the mash. The veg was again picked up from Lincoln markets and was £1 for a massive stew pack full of mishaped root veg. The vast majority of which I have brought home a there was too much for one meal.

DSC_0290.jpg

Ooooh, don't let Mrs. Athy see this, lamb shanks are her absolute favourite at the moment.

I am sure that they used to be a cheap cut of meat; I guess that some telly chef must have made them trendy. Rachel did well to get the pair of them so cheaply.

Ooooh, don't let Mrs. Athy see this, lamb shanks are her absolute favourite at the moment.

I am sure that they used to be a cheap cut of meat; I guess that some telly chef must have made them trendy. Rachel did well to get the pair of them so cheaply.

That's the usual price of them at the butchers we use in Lincoln.

Great price- the butchers around here charge silly prices for lamb shanks- pork shanks are a bit more reasonable but increasing in price- I'm tempted by a trip to Lincoln to fill my freezer- I like to add rosemary, a generous splash of red wine and a tablespoon of bramble jelly

This is a most mouth-watering thread - for the omnivores amongst us at least. Luckily we had rib-eye steaks for dinner last night, so my beef level is topped up for the time being.

This is a most mouth-watering thread - for the omnivores amongst us at least. Luckily we had rib-eye steaks for dinner last night, so my beef level is topped up for the time being.

In my personal opinion nothing beats rib eye steak, you can keep rump and sirloin a proper thick cut rib eye cooked just blue, lush

In my personal opinion nothing beats rib eye steak, you can keep rump and sirloin a proper thick cut rib eye cooked just blue, lush

I tend to agree, although ribe eye is now getting expensive thanks to the likes of Mr Oliver making people aware it exists.sad.png

I think I might brown them off

a little first and also not take the lid

off at all during cooking... I love lamb!

We have never bothered browning meat off first. We prefer just lobbing it all in the pot. Simple one pot cooking that doesn't make much mess :)

thanks. My 800 watt one in the truck should do the job then.

Easily. They are very low powered.

Hope this isnt off topic- but can I ask advice about running a slow cooker off an invertor. We don't have an invertor but I would like to have a slow cooker. If a 300 watt one would do- Do I just plug the invertor into a 12v cigar type plug ( we have one near the galley) and plug the slow cooker into the invertor

If we did this whilst cruising - would it mpact the batteries in any negative way

or- I've seen 12v slow cookers- Are they any good?

Thanks

Hope this isnt off topic- but can I ask advice about running a slow cooker off an invertor. We don't have an invertor but I would like to have a slow cooker. If a 300 watt one would do- Do I just plug the invertor into a 12v cigar type plug ( we have one near the galley) and plug the slow cooker into the invertor

If we did this whilst cruising - would it mpact the batteries in any negative way

Thanks

Don't do 12V ones. Expesive for the quality, need fairly heavy duty wiring & theone I got just did't cut the mustard. Oher traveling Chums have said the same.

I don't know why this is since there will be power loss through the inverter but I get a better result using a cheap mains slow cooker & a small invertor.

Summer use only. Multifuel stove and 'tethered' pots do it through winter.

Thanks

We have always wired our inverters into the boats electrical system so can't advise on that side.

Our slow cooker uses about 75 watts on low power so really not a lot of power at all. Even so we only tend to use it on days when we are cruising.

Don't do 12V ones. Expesive for the quality, need fairly heavy duty wiring & theone I got just did't cut the mustard. Oher traveling Chums have said the same.

I don't know why this is since there will be power loss through the inverter but I get a better result using a cheap mains slow cooker & a small invertor.

Summer use only. Multifuel stove and 'tethered' pots do it through winter.

Interesting, I had often considered a 12V slow cooker, but will stick with the 240V one after your (and your friends) findings.