Tim and Pru New series

STIG

Featured Posts

They're fine. Two 70ft boats fit like they would in a normal lock just with extra space to the sides. If you're shorter and/or on your own in the lock you'll swing around a bit but a rope from the bow to someone standing near the gate will soon sort things out...

Not sure how you get two 70ft boats into the other locks on the Oxford. Whilst you can sometimes get two boats into the diamond locks it can be a bit tricky and then you have to go one at a time at the next lock.

The locks are said to be that shape to allow more water through from the river section above (against which the lock is a control) so that the deeper locks either side do not continually reduce the level in the intervening pound. The locks have a very small rise/fall.

I believe the design was intended NOT to allow two full length boats to share, because doing so would defeat the objective of letting down the extra water for the next lock.

Our boat is 67ft, and we have shared with a 70 footer a few times but I seem to remember once not being able to share with a 72 footer because IIRC if he went in first we couldn't follow but if we went in first neither of us could get out again.

Are there two Timothy Wests?

Just watched, and enjoyed Tim & Pru. Did anyone else spot the big editing error in Banbury?

Tim is competing in a town cryer competition. As he speaks, we pan to the crowd, and there sat behind Pru is Tim, dressed in his wonderful costume. Maybe he has an identical twin.

I absolutely loved it, as I did the first series, Tim and Pru really love the waterways and enjoy being out traveling along the canals and rivers,

The two of them are fantastic presenters, so what if the editing is a bit bad, the overall result is very heartwarming, I liked the fact their son Is interested in the boating world,

The programme for me was very informative, well presented, sympathetically done and very very well cast, I mean who else could present a programme like that.......... John Sergeant maybe????????

Seriously tho

Tim and Pru have a much loved desire for the warerways and it shows in not only the last series but on this one too, they are real people with a real passion for the waterways and I for one applaud this new series of such a fantastic tv programme, should it be released on DVD I'll pay the highest price for the privilege of owning such fabulous entertainment.

(To the boaters whom never hit anything nor touch a lock side or bridge hole, how old are you?, what is your mental state?, how long have you been boating?, are you the perfect boater? Do you understand humour? And finally DO YOU EVER COCK UP?)

To end,

Tim and Pru love the canals and it shows clearly in this and the previous series, I for one can't wait for the next episodes to be aired and have them on series link and recorded. Finally something about our fantastic canal heritage of interest to watch!

I hope the producers of Barging around Britain take note!!!

Nik

Edited cos my spelling is bloomin awful

Edited by kienik
  • Greenie 1

I absolutely loved it, as I did the first series, Tim and Pru really love the waterways and enjoy being out traveling along the canals and rivers,

The two of them are fantastic presenters, so what if the editing is a bit bad, the overall result is very heartwarming, I liked the fact their son Is interested in the boating world,

The programme for me was very informative, well presented, sympathetically done and very very well cast, I mean who else could present a programme like that.......... John Sergeant maybe????????

Seriously tho

Tim and Pru have a much loved desire for the warerways and it shows in not only the last series but on this one too, they are real people with a real passion for the waterways and I for one applaud this new series of such a fantastic tv programme, should it be released on DVD I'll pay the highest price for the privilege of owning such fabulous entertainment.

(To the boaters whom never hit anything nor touch a lock side or bridge hole, how old are you?, what is your mental state?, how long have you been boating?, are you the perfect boater? Do you understand humour? And finally DO YOU EVER COCK UP?)

To end,

Tim and Pru love the canals and it shows clearly in this and the previous series, I for one can't wait for the next episodes to be aired and have them on series link and recorded. Finally something about our fantastic canal heritage of interest to watch!

I hope the producers of Barging around Britain take note!!!

Nik

Edited cos my spelling is bloomin awful

The serious mistakes should have been edited out of the programmes. I presume that the producers were keen to show them, and one example features in the introduction to every episode.

What will the producers tackle next? Maybe a drama featuring a drunken stag party sinking a boat in a lock. That would be good for ratings.

I found the first series very dull. This one was better. It touched on some important and interesting issues about maintenance, development and other threats. The bits of history re. Rolt and Cressy were good too.

It is firmly aimed at 'older' viewers though. I suppose that's inevitable.

I saw Timothy behind Pru as she was watching him being the Town Cryer, how funny!

I do think that the collisions are made for TV though, the Barging Round Britain one is the same. It's as though the TV companies promote boating as a 'contact sport', the number of times we have to watch the boat being crumped against a bridge or another boat makes me cringe. Sure, everyone has a scrape now and then but if we did that as many times per half hour as is shown in the programmes, there'd be nothing left of our boat at the end of a fortnight, let alone between blackings...

A few of my work colleagues (all non boaters) watched the programme and after observing some of the bumps Tim had on his journey, a couple or so commented that they would certainly look at a canal holiday as a future option and their reasons were that they would be less frightened should they have a bump or two whilst gaining confidence in the initial handling of a boat.

If a few people saw this in the same way as my mates, it would certainly be good for the waterways and good for not editing the knocks and bumps out of the programme.

The serious mistakes should have been edited out of the programmes. I presume that the producers were keen to show them, and one example features in the introduction to every episode.

REALLY? do you think SERIOUS MISTAKES?

This is a tv programme, I really don't think any SERIOUS MISTAKES were made, a couple of cock ups maybe but definitely not serious mistakes.

Let's get this into context here please

I caught up with this last night.

It's not perfect, I know, (we laughed out load when Tim dressed as a town crier could be seen behind Pru, apparently watching himself perform as a town crier!), but compared to the dross usually offered up about the canals, I really think it is a breath of fresh air.

To me what differentiates it from most is that this couple in their 80s are clearly totally passionate about their subject, and have been for years. Particularly poignant to me in this episode was that they were for part of it on exactly the same bit of canal where we met this lovely couple on their own boat.

Another bonus was the "Idle Women" footage from the war years. As well as the well known footage of "Audrey, Evelyn and Ann", there was far clearer footage of other trainees than I have ever seen before, including Emma Smith, who has written several well regarded books, including one only recently.

Possibly what helps this program is that its hour long format so it is nothing like as rushed as any attempt to cover something in half that time. I have not seen the John Sergeant offering to compare, but by all accounts I'm rather lucky not to have done, and certainly from the reviews will not be looking it out. Tim and Pru have been committed canal "nuts" for many decades, and have freely given of their time to support waterways restoration - JS is clearly just making a program for TV.

We watched the programme yesterday evening and found it most enjoyable though, as suggested above, a few shots which gave some idea of location (e.g. buildings) would have been good.

You can get 3 boats into the diamond locks - a big 'un in the middle and 2 little 'uns on each side.

Does that TV station (BBC?) have a net site where one can watch programmes later?

It may be hard to believe, but Finns watch Heartbeat and Doc Martin - mornings and evenings (morning is repeat of evening showing). Also you can find bus drivers in Helsinki watching Emmerdale - bizarre!

If you miss them, there's a net site called areena.yle.fi (YLE = Finland's BBC) and you can find them there for a week or so.

You can get 3 boats into the diamond locks - a big 'un in the middle and 2 little 'uns on each side.

Does that TV station (BBC?) have a net site where one can watch programmes later?

It may be hard to believe, but Finns watch Heartbeat and Doc Martin - mornings and evenings (morning is repeat of evening showing). Also you can find bus drivers in Helsinki watching Emmerdale - bizarre!

If you miss them, there's a net site called areena.yle.fi (YLE = Finland's BBC) and you can find them there for a week or so.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-canal-journeys

Thanks IanM - but:

"Rights agreements mean that our 4oD service is only available in the UK and the Republic of Ireland, (although C4 does not always have rights for programmes in ROI). Even if you are a citizen of the UK or ROI you cannot access the service from abroad."

There's no 'play' arrow for the video. C4 must detect my computer is in foreign parts.

Will just have to wait for someone to upload it to Youtube - Series 1 is on Youtube and runs fine.

Mrs. Athy conjured it up yesterday evening on her Tablet, but I have no idea how. She said that it was not available to view on (UK) TV, or at least if it was then she couldn't locate it.

A good mate of mine, who has long scorned my enjoyment of the canals as old fartish or just very dull stuff, phoned me yesterday to ask if I'd seen that "amazing programme about canals" (Tim and Pru, naturally, not Barging). He said he now understands a bit of what I like about it all, no longer believes I'm demented and is thinking of booking a hire boat.

Thanks IanM - but:

"Rights agreements mean that our 4oD service is only available in the UK and the Republic of Ireland, (although C4 does not always have rights for programmes in ROI). Even if you are a citizen of the UK or ROI you cannot access the service from abroad."

There's no 'play' arrow for the video. C4 must detect my computer is in foreign parts.

Will just have to wait for someone to upload it to Youtube - Series 1 is on Youtube and runs fine.

I did wonder if that might be the case.

There are services which will let you watch UK TV from overseas. Most seem to charge, but some offer a free trial.

You could try some of these (but I haven't).

Thanks IanM - but:

It's a bit off topic, but I do wonder how they work it out.

A website does get some info provided about you as part of the Internet standard, basically non-personal stuff such as your browser version to help the site tailor what it sends back, but I know that info includes your IP address and that directly or indirectly gives them a country and rough location for your local server. Hence all those annoying adverts referring to some town a few miles away. However it's possible to use a proxy server to pretend to be somewhere else, e.g. there's a site called HideMyIP which provides software to keep moving your apparent location around the world at pre-set intervals. One minute you look as if you're in California, the next you have an IP address in Germany. It has a free version, and a paid for version which moves you around lots more different locations. Something like that could probably be used to convince C4 that you're really in the UK, if you could find settings to choose a UK IP address and stick with it. [Note the space after UK; this is not another tedious political argument]

On the other hand, a website might also get your computer's country settings so that it can tailor content according to your language and time zone, so you might have to alter those too?

Anyway, I've been watching Great Canal Journeys and enjoying it. Are they I wonder going to let Tim loose on the tidal Thames in the London episode? I'm guessing that if he does an odd wobble in navigation there it either won't matter because he's in open water, or it'll produce a nasty collision with a bridge pier.

First time I've seen any of their programmes (no TV on the boat was visiting relatives) Didn't think much of it.

Having said that I will try to watch the London episode as I saw them filming in Paddington basin last year (I would like to see if my boats on the telly box), but I don't think I'll watch any more after that.