Tim and Pru New series

STIG

Featured Posts

You can't help but love 'Tim n Pru' and there love of the canals. Ok the program wasn't strictly in order but you can't help but recognise there love of the system as well as each other.

Comparing it to the lacklustre 'barging' program is like chalk and cheese.

My sentemant as well, a very nice program and much better than the other one. I thought the reporting of how Oxford turns its back on both the river and canal was refreshing rather than the usual glossing over of these things.

Lucky you...

You're right, but I didn't want to appear self satisfied or smug,..... It, like all relationships has not been without its......... Incidents!

I have contemplated murder (as has he) from time to time, the fact neither of us is in custody probably tells the tale.

We now work together, that is a whole other ball game,lots of adjustment, the occasional murderous thought, and now a demarcation of duties!

Excellent! Doesn't it make you want to really chill out? I didn't care that it was a bit out of order although "It's a contact sport" made me frown.. He sure did give that other boater a thump.. Heh you could see it coming! And grounded.. Always reverse Tim!

Yep he is right, life is wonderful if you live on the waterways.. biggrin.png

In my opinion the crash was not Tim's fault at all, not that Tim doesn't bang about a bit !!!... Playing back my decoders recording of the program you can see that Tim was moving over to the other side of the bank after suddenly seeing the other boat through those dreadfull willows (been there ... very hard to see ... could do with maintenance). And he was not traveling fast either. The other boat carried on straight down the middle into him, without slowing down and the helmsman was not even visible till he suddenly popped up after hitting Tim !!!! What a plonker...

To me 'contact sport' (hate the term) should only mean nudging the sides etc like Tim did in the diamond lock, but not hitting other boat's. The only time I think there should be boat to boat contact is nudging each other when sharing locks or breasting up. Anything else is very poor helsmanship,even with wind, current or poor visiblity you should be going at the appropriate speed or using ropes to avoid contact - even sharing a lock is possible without contact (other than fenders)...

Just my 2p's worth...

Fantastic program, as good as if not better tahn the first series... now eagerly looking forward to the rest of this series...

(edit for late night spelling & grammar )

Edited by Gypsey_Kings

Loved the bit about her putting on her make up whilst he tried to sweep up oats without hand brush...refreshing human, warts n all or so if seems to me. Also seeing him scrape boat from time to time reassuring.....my efforts don't seem so bad.

The willows coming out of Oxford are completely overgrown and block any view of an oncoming boat. I've had one or two near misses there however if you can't see you slow down...

Also not a good idea to run your hands through the branches. I managed to warn the parents of 2 children on a hire boat who were standing on the roof doing just that. 2 nasty Pike lures were hanging down in the branches just ahead!

I have contemplated murder (as has he) from time to time,

Ah, then you must have been boating together.

We did not see the programme, but I'm sure that Mrs. Athy has recorded it so I'm looking forward to it.

You can't help but love 'Tim n Pru' and there love of the canals. Ok the program wasn't strictly in order but you can't help but recognise there love of the system as well as each other.

Comparing it to the lacklustre 'barging' program is like chalk and cheese.

I agree about the "love for each other" bit. I don't think its scripted or acted but the affection between Tim, Pru, and Sam warms my heart

Loved the bit about her putting on her make up whilst he tried to sweep up oats without hand brush...refreshing human, warts n all or so if seems to me. Also seeing him scrape boat from time to time reassuring.....my efforts don't seem so bad.

And while he complained about not having a brush the camera panned back to reveal a perfectly serviceable broom laying on the seat.

Phil

Less than a year before that was filmed, we took the boat to Oxford and moored opposite the boarded off redundant boatyard. There was none of the awful graffiti that they highlighted and Isis Lock was very pretty and well kept. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE AREA IN SUCH A SHORT TIME?

Less than a year before that was filmed, we took the boat to Oxford and moored opposite the boarded off redundant boatyard. There was none of the awful graffiti that they highlighted and Isis Lock was very pretty and well kept. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE AREA IN SUCH A SHORT TIME?

We were there last summer, which is when I assume this series was filmed. The whole area around the end of the canal and the connection onto the Thames was a scruffy mess. It would be nice to see it improved for sure.

Love this programme. It has a lovely atmosphere to it - makes me realise how much I want to be out there all the time.

Barging is a bit boring at times unfortunately, even if it is about canals. As if they have somehow missed the whole point.

Having just come out of Oxford I can verify that the offside banks have been tidied up greatly and it is certainly a lot clearer than when that was filmed.

Enjoyed the program, found the 'continuity' a bit odd, but then we have just done the journey so it is very fresh in our minds.

Sonia Rolt was a treat and explains why her property was up for sale when we came down the canal last autumn.

As everyone concludes - knocks spots off 'Barging'!

Edited by Colin North

Brilliant series, probably because unlike John Sergeant, they are interesting people whose love for the canals shows through.

I do wonder if his poor helmsmanship is deliberately done for effect, possibly to show those thinking of taking a canal holiday that you can't easily damage what must an intimidatingly large vehicle for them?

It beggars belief that in 40 years boating that he regularly hits things and didn't seem to know that reversing when you run aground almost always gets you unstuck without using a pole.

Really looking forward to the next episodes, because they will cover waterways new to me.

I think it's time for them to go on hotel boats because including the 'contact sport' of Tim bashing locks, bridges and boats does not send out the right messages about our hobby.

Edited by mango

I recorded this program and watched it last night.

Better than the last series, I thought. A bit more "real" - e.g. some shots of the grittier areas of Oxford.

I hate the sort of program that consists purely of a boat gliding in summer sunshine through idyllic scenery while an orchestra plays in the background. They even showed the canal when it was raining!

I haven't "done" the Oxford yet, but I'm encouraged to do so. Personally I don't mind a few overhanging trees to contend with. If the system was just 2000 miles of sterile line with neatly piled banks and a tarmac towpath, life would be soooo boring.

Edited by PaulG

"we" must remember that this program is not intended for "us" canal nutters but for the general viewers who have no concept of canals and boating.

It's sad that Tim keeps hammering on about Alzheimer's, obviously an issue for them, but maybe a plank for the producer as well - who knows?

If anyone here reads WW and John Sergeants production notes will see the challenges for the film crew and production. limited time, limited funds, limited knowledge.

Quite frankly I found the continuity foul ups most amusing - and does it really matter.

The only thing that bothered me was that the whole programme was so tranquil that it gave the impression that canal boating was only for old-farts and not younger folks.

Love this programme. It has a lovely atmosphere to it - makes me realise how much I want to be out there all the time.

Barging is a bit boring at times unfortunately, even if it is about canals. As if they have somehow missed the whole point.

Barge - A long, large, usually flat-bottom boat for transporting freight that is generally un-powered and towed or pushed by other craft.

ITV hit the nail on the head by taking the title literally. Unlike Tim & Pru's programme, it's more about the history and the businesses alongside it. T&P's programme is more a personal touch with memories and family time, with a bit of history thrown in. Having said that, i do prefer Tim & Pru's program for a number of reasons, one being that it's longer and you get to see more of the canal itself.

Brilliant series, probably because unlike John Sergeant, they are interesting people whose love for the canals shows through.

I do wonder if his poor helmsmanship is deliberately done for effect, possibly to show those thinking of taking a canal holiday that you can't easily damage what must an intimidatingly large vehicle for them?

It beggars belief that in 40 years boating that he regularly hits things and didn't seem to know that reversing when you run aground almost always gets you unstuck without using a pole.

Really looking forward to the next episodes, because they will cover waterways new to me.

I think it's time for them to go on holiday boats because including the 'contact sport' of Tim bashing locks, bridges and boats does not send out the right messages about our hobby.

What's worse is in Sargeant's program where he went through Harecastle, an 'expert' helmsman from CRT managed to hit the tunnel walls on a number of occasions!

Barge - A long, large, usually flat-bottom boat for transporting freight that is generally un-powered and towed or pushed by other craft.

ITV hit the nail on the head by taking the title literally. Unlike Tim & Pru's programme, it's more about the history and the businesses alongside it. T&P's programme is more a personal touch with memories and family time, with a bit of history thrown in. Having said that, i do prefer Tim & Pru's program for a number of reasons, one being that it's longer and you get to see more of the canal itself.

What's worse is in Sargeant's program where he went through Harecastle, an 'expert' helmsman from CRT managed to hit the tunnel walls on a number of occasions!

Seeing the steering antics of the waterways Expert in Harecastle tunnel, I realize now why the "Elfin/safety" require the wearing of life jackets, would have made interesting viewing if it had been back in the days of the tunnel still having parts of the submerged tow path left, that kept your mind focused as well as the drooping roof line, especially with a pair of empty boats some of the roof was a real cratch "clonker " on an empty motor

I know. It would have been easy to edit out these mistakes.

On the other hand it cannot be easy to steer through Harecastle while someone is shining a light in your face.