Tim and Pru New series

STIG

Featured Posts

The researching on Rolt and Cressy was poor. His uncle Kyrle Willans purchased and converted it. Originally steam powered upon conversion. Rolt purchased it from his uncle and refitted at Tooleys.

Their description was it was built at Tooleys which was not the case.

Excellent chronology on Rolt here :- http://www.ltcrolt.org.uk/chronology.htm

and he is still hitting things in this series too

The willows coming out of Oxford are completely overgrown and block any view of an oncoming boat. I've had one or two near misses there however if you can't see you slow down...

Edited by Chalky

Thats cos youve both got fat boats and dont have the opportunity to go there anyway. The Oxford is one of the reasons I binned my fat boat biggrin.png .......

And my big comfy sofa sad.png

Tim

I knew you would come back from the dark side............... eventually biggrin.png

Thats cos youve both got fat boats and dont have the opportunity to go there anyway. The Oxford is one of the reasons I binned my fat boat :D .......

And my big comfy sofa :(

Tim

It looked a squeeze for narrowboat's in a couple of shots.

The general appearance of the Oxford did somewhat surprise me, and give reason for concern.

The overgrowth and state of the reeds did not look inviting, and no, I'm not saying I want pristine, but I do expect a bit more than shabby.

Sonia was a lovely unasuming lady whom I had the pleasure to meet on several occasions. I rented property from her once and she was genuinely pleased and even appeared suprised that I had heard of her husband.

Tim

Indeed....met her myself once at a waterways craft guild meeting...she was a pleasure to talk to.....I only wish I had recorded the talk she gave.

Cheers

Gareth

Scuse me folks Im watching Pru n Timothy ...these ere diamond locks on Oxford are they really tough to drive through...just seen Timothy crashing ..im intending chugging down that way

It all depends on your boat handling skills. We do tend to find the boat moves round a bit more inside the lock than on the more usual lock however its not too bad.

Scuse me folks Im watching Pru n Timothy ...these ere diamond locks on Oxford are they really tough to drive through...just seen Timothy crashing ..im intending chugging down that way

There are only two diamond locks both well north of Oxford and both an absolute doddle to negotiate biggrin.png

Tim

It looked a squeeze for narrowboat's in a couple of shots.

The general appearance of the Oxford did somewhat surprise me, and give reason for concern.

The overgrowth and state of the reeds did not look inviting, and no, I'm not saying I want pristine, but I do expect a bit more than shabby.

Hi Steve

Its true that oxford up onto the canal at isis lock is not the prettiest bit of the system by a long shot. The Thames thro Oxford is far and away the better of the two. The first couple of miles of canal is certainly as they say " Nowt to shout about " but it soon gets better.

Tim

There are only two diamond locks both well north of Oxford and both an absolute doddle to negotiate :D

Tim

Hi Steve

Its true that oxford up onto the canal at isis lock is not the prettiest bit of the system by a long shot. The Thames thro Oxford is far and away the better of the two. The first couple of miles of canal is certainly as they say " Nowt to shout about " but it soon gets better.

Tim

Well, I will hopefully find out for myself within the next twelve months.

Good stuff, more to it than the normal waffle, its not all 'idyllic drifting through English countryside' blah blah, bits of the Oxford, like bits of many canals have suffered from 'development' and the program says so.

• Greenie 1

They're fine. Two 70ft boats fit like they would in a normal lock just with extra space to the sides. If you're shorter and/or on your own in the lock you'll swing around a bit but a rope from the bow to someone standing near the gate will soon sort things out...

What a delightful programme, a bit of controversy, some poetry, nostalgia and history. Think that it is the only televiised interveiw with Sonia Rolt that I have ever seen.

Allan Herd interviewed her in the otherwise not spectacular "Narrow Boat Afloat" series. (A sequel to "Narrow Boat" where he "restores" "Dover").

However in my mind the best interview from that series was with Laura Carter, the steerer of Samuel Barlows "Ian" and then for Blue Line where ultimately "Renfrew" replaced "Ian".

I bet both these former working boat women are/were formidable ladies.

As a programme made for Entertainment, not for afficianodos, I thought it was rather good. A warts and all experience that was true to the spirit of navigating this waterway given the time constraints imposed. Good on Channel 4.

You can't help but love 'Tim n Pru' and there love of the canals. Ok the program wasn't strictly in order but you can't help but recognise there love of the system as well as each other.

Comparing it to the lacklustre 'barging' program is like chalk and cheese.

I would not mind Sam West helping me through a few locks ! At 8 yrs younger than I am,he could be my canal toy boy...

Ps It's a brill programme as you can feel their love of canals shine through.Love it.

My OH (married 20 years) is 8 years younger than me. Can't fault it! That is all......