BMC 1.5 engine number

Crazy Jay

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have a 1.5 bmc that I got with my new boat(actually its out now and its old)but in the interest of heritage and I'm a bit of a nerd I wonder if anyone knows how to interpret the engine number?

The numbering system found online seems to make no sense to the number I have

The number is BHM1115-RS75969 and clearly has 1500 cast on the side

any thoughts greatly received

Thanks

J

I've got a BMC 1.5 diesel engine in my boat . The engine number is 15 JH UD 6807 . This means it is

1500 cc, J = commercial vehicle engine, U = the vehicle it was fitted to had a central gear change gearbox D = diesel and 6807 is the actual engine number.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with an engine number similar to the one you have to throw some light on it .

BHM1115-RS75969.

Hi J.

From 40 year old memories,

BHM1115 is a British Leyland reconditioned engine parts number. You would use this number to order one from stores.They were available as a Gold Seal replacement engine or Silver Seal engine. This engine was a Reconditioned Silver Seal unit number 75969.

The Gold Seal units featured new cranks and castings, and so were almost new, the Silver Seal units were rebuilt, so the cranks would be ground and the blocks bored to an undersize.

The Silver Seal units were competitively priced, we couldn.t build an MGB engine for the price at the time.

You may fins some silver aerosol paint on the engine somewhere.

If I remember correctly.......

Mike

After a bit of online digging now I know what i'm looking for I found on a mini website that:

prefix BHM is gold seal and RKM is silver seal factory recon unit it makes sense if its to be believed

also found that metallic blue paint was specifically for marine use

if it helps anyone else stumped by their engine number

J

• 3 months later...

Hello in here.

I have a 1.8 ( stamped on the crankcase ) bmc diesel engine. I am currently working on it, and would like some info on the year and place of the build, England / turkey.

I would vedby much appreciate some info, if possible.

On the top end, between the injectors, there is : H1024& marked in it. On the engine there is a plate with the following: 18V/744B/D 8355. There is also a casted number on the block : 63HIII.

Seller informed me it was a 1988.

Any information is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jonas Wrisberg, denmark

Edited by wrisberg

Having read this thread, I'm wondering what information is contained within my engine number? The Power Unit Registration Certificate is handwritten and a bit hard to read, but looks to be 15/ B (or might be R or P) /785 B/D 5021, the Manufacturer's Machine No. is 4686 and the Manufacturer's Model No. is CT 40 KC..

Having read this thread, I'm wondering what information is contained within my engine number? The Power Unit Registration Certificate is handwritten and a bit hard to read, but looks to be 15/ B (or might be R or P) /785 B/D 5021, the Manufacturer's Machine No. is 4686 and the Manufacturer's Model No. is CT 40 KC..

CT Marine marinised the B.M.C. Engines in the 70/80's

the 40 likely refers to horse power and KC Means Keel Cooled(suitable for skin tank application on Inland waterways craft)

CT

Many thanks for the info, the engine was supplied to CT Marine, so that makes perfect sense. Could I ask exactly what CT Marine would have done to the engine as supplied by BL in order to marinise it?

Fit marine reverse gear Bell housing plus specified transmission unit

Sometimes an additional "Weight plate" was added to the Flywheel to smooth out oscillation at low speeds

Fit right angled Engine Feet to Suit Pedestal anti vibration Mounts,both fore and aft.

Remove Vehicle Exhaust Manifold and replace with a Water cooled version,if the Engine was an indirect cooling type the Manifold /Heat Exchanger would have a Tubestack installed

Fit brackets to allow morse/teleflex 33c cables to be used for speed,engine stop and reverse gear control.

Fit engine sump drain pump for oil extraction

And finally,Paint it RED!

eta change inlet manifold ,usually for an Alexander mesh filter type

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

Again, thanks for the info, it all makes perfect sense, other than the fact that the engine isn't painted red.

Desireegearbox_zps6b2dc725.jpg

Has it been re-painted by an owner in the past, or is there some other reason for the colour?

(I've replaced the breather cap since I bought it (this was one of the brokerage photos), I'm assuming the engine has been repainted as I can't imagine the breather cap hadn't been replaced since the boat was new (1987))

Again, thanks for the info, it all makes perfect sense, other than the fact that the engine isn't painted red.

Desireegearbox_zps6b2dc725.jpg

Has it been re-painted by an owner in the past, or is there some other reason for the colour?

(I've replaced the breather cap since I bought it (this was one of the brokerage photos), I'm assuming the engine has been repainted as I can't imagine the breather cap hadn't been replaced since the boat was new (1987))

The breather cap may be original,The BMC'S used these to expel condensation from the Rocker cover which would be produced during warm-up,the main Crankcase venting was carried out by a tube and oil separator on the camshaft cover,during marinisation this tube was fed to the intake Manifold so as to scavenge fumes from Crankcase and prevent them from entering the engine bay.

My 1977 BMC 2.5 is still providing Yeoman service after 40 years of (sometimes) Rather brisk River work.

P.S. BMC never provided engines for Cement Mixers!

Coat?

CT

I thought red was the colour used for factory reconditioned engines. Vehicle engines were usually dark green, but I seem to recall that CT painted all their engine marinisations in that metallic lighter green.

I thought red was the colour used for factory reconditioned engines. Vehicle engines were usually dark green, but I seem to recall that CT painted all their engine marinisations in that metallic lighter green.

Yes, you are correct,the KC versions were Green and the Indirect versions were Usually Red?

Well spotted.

CT

ETA,or,am i thinking of WaterMota engines?

Edited by cereal tiller

The breather cap may be original,The BMC'S used these to expel condensation from the Rocker cover which would be produced during warm-up,the main Crankcase venting was carried out by a tube and oil separator on the camshaft cover,during marinisation this tube was fed to the intake Manifold so as to scavenge fumes from Crankcase and prevent them from entering the engine bay.

I'm just surprised that the breather cap seemed to be painted the same colour as the rest of the engine, this suggested to me that it had never been replaced. I spent my earliest motoring days driving cars fitted with BMC B series engines, Austin A60's and the like, and I always changed the breather cap as a service item?

• 3 years later...

My engine number is

15V/160B/D10033

WITH A3J8 In the casting if anyone can show some light. I need a gasket kit.

Also the front side inspection cover has a metal tube coming out of it.

Does anyone know if the pipe from the rocker cover is supposed to go on it.

It is a marine engine

• 3 years later...

Hi I am new to this group. Intrigued by the way the engine numbers tell a tale. Would be really interested to know if anyone out there could work mine out for please. 15P/752A/D not sure if there is anything after the D. She is in an early 1970s norfolk broads hire boat "Falcon 26"

20200829_153838.jpg