Need someone to help set-up TV!!!

ali_oh

Featured Posts

We have had an Enox All-in-line 12V/240V TV for about 9 months now, and we have only ever watched DVDs on it due to our incompetence and ignorance when it comes to setting up televisions. Apparently it can be used with satellite or freeview/DVB. We have tried the old aerial that came with the boat, a satellite kit from Maplins, and now a one-for-all digital TV aerial. Either we are rubbish or our TV is and I don't think we have the know-how to work out which it is (though I could take a guess...)

So, if you live in the Cropredy area, or know someone who does, and know something about setting up TVs, PLEASE help us. We will pay in money, or food, or beer, or tea and biscuits - whichever you prefer.

Thank you in advance.

I did a quick google and found problems with reception in the cropredy area.

Do folks around you have TV aerials on their boats.

Depending on exactly where you are in the area, the height of local hedges may stop satellite signals as well. I know we have challenges when in the area (we use satellite for preference) and we couldn't get a terrestrial signal either.

The one for all set top aerial will be USELESS in that area anyway. You need a

LOG PERIODIC on a pole to have a hope:-

A big long one :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-TV-AERIAL-ACTIVE-LOG-PERIODIC-designed-withstand-winds-up-to-75m-h-/160727551241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item256c1bcd09

A cheaper smaller one from the same place :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stealth-MINI-DIGITAL-TV-AERIAL-LOG-PERIODIC-4g-LTE-Ready-Aerien-Antenne-Antenna-/150848879726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item231f4b3c6e

No Ifs, No buts, ignore imitations - been there done it.

(Doesn't mean that you WILL get a picture - just increase your chances. BTW a cheap amplifier will help as well:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philex-SLx1P-One-way-Digital-Aerial-Amplifier-/171715261788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fb06f55c

OR strip the inbuilt amplifier our of your one-for-all. The box on the OFA's kit say INDOOR aerial.

I rest my case.

Hi

We had problems with signal and have ( fingers crossed) solved them.

I experimented with various types and brands of aerials as well as amplifiers to improve the signal strength.

We are now in a position that pretty much anywhere we have moored thus far, we get most of not all of the digital free view TV and radio channels.

How?

We paid circa £80 and bought an Omnidirection TV aerial that is supplied with its own booster. The aerial came complete with dire rent options for how you wish to mount it.

Here is the link for the TV aerial kit

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/vision-plus-status-330-digital-caravan-tv-aerial/

With just the aerial and booster I still had issues with signal.

HOWEVER......Not any more. What I did was buy a telescopic mast. A 3 metre mast.

When I moor up, I get the mast out ( it's only 1 mtr in length when stowed), affix the aerial to it and raise it up.

Since using this method I've not had a single TV signal issue.

If you hint about it.....houses have pretty basic aerials on their roofs....they rely of height of the aerial

Why? Because with the height you overcome the problem of signals being blocked.

It's the same for phone and Internet for us on the boat too.

I bought a small portable 3G mifi unit which creates its own wifi zone which up to 5 separate devices can connect to and use the Internet at the same time. When I mounted this in or even on top of the boat, results where hit and miss.

I made a small waterproof bag and dangle this 3G mifi at the top of the TV mast.

Problem sorted.

So the mast has resolved the TV signal and 3G signal !

Vision Plus make both the TV aerial and also the telescopic mast we bought.

Hope this helps.

One last thing I would add though which is a VERY common mistake to make, especially if you are using free view ( as opposed to satellite)....... When you move and moor up somewhere new, you may need to repeat the "scan for channels" function on your TV set.

Reason being is that you may have moved to a location where the signal comes from a different transmitter.