Pair for sale

Theo

Featured Posts

MABEL and FORGET ME NOT - also for sale via the 'Preloved' website @ £23000 captain.gif.

edit - the 'footer' at the bottom of your posts suggests your boat is different to the other Brum Tugs in that it has a Colecraft fore end. All but one Brum Tug was built by Colecraft, so all of these have a Colecraft fore end - yours included.

Edited by pete harrison

Actually it's utterly staggering how unrealistic some boaters can be. ISTR nb IAN (a fully mobile and on the face of it, good condition motor) was on the market for £30 for years before finding a buyer.

This pair look like a total liability to me, I doubt anyone would accept them for free let alone pay £23k for them.

Forgive my ignorance but which is Mabel and which is Forget me not?

Last time I went past there was someone standing on the counter of the motor fishing out of the butty. Don't know how succesful he was but it made me lol.

Forget me not, Friendship and a "brace" of Skinners.

16612622817_5962c65f9e_c.jpgSkinners

I'll put up a photo of Mabel when I return from walking the mutt.

Yes, but that is not, I believe the same "Forget Me Not" as in the subject of this thread. I think the Skinners' "Forget Me Not" is under the care of the Wooden Canal Boat Society, (but I haven't checked!).

Yes, but that is not, I believe the same "Forget Me Not" as in the subject of this thread. I think the Skinners' "Forget Me Not" is under the care of the Wooden Canal Boat Society, (but I haven't checked!).

Theirs is a motor boat. Not to say it hasn't been motorised from a horse boat at some point in its life.

All I know with reasonable certainty about the ex-Hotel Boat Forget-me-Not, prior to its conversion, is that it was originally built by Sephtons, possibly a long time ago, and the last stage of its carrying career was as a change boat for Tooleys, before they converted it for Michael Rogers into an Hotel Boat.

Pete Harrison might know more?

Tim

The owner has now moved abroad and the parents are offering the boats at a totally unreasonable price because they have unrealistic ideas about the value of, admittedly, an incredibly historic pair and a huge reluctance to let go.

Mabel was a very early conversion from horseboat to motor and FMN was the Skinners' regular change boat loaned by Tooleys when Friendship was in dock (edited to add: Searching for the FMN in dock photo I see that she was a different boat to Tooley's change boat after all).

The hulls are in better condition than the photo suggests but they are still £1k boats needing saving rather than selling.

All I know with reasonable certainty about the ex-Hotel Boat Forget-me-Not, prior to its conversion, is that it was originally built by Sephtons, possibly a long time ago, and the last stage of its carrying career was as a change boat for Tooleys, before they converted it for Michael Rogers into an Hotel Boat.

Don't be coy Tim.

Tell us who put that lovely front end on FMN...

Forgetmenot-1.jpg

Edited by carlt

The owner has now moved abroad and the parents are offering the boats at a totally unreasonable price because they have unrealistic ideas about the value of, admittedly, an incredibly historic pair and a huge reluctance to let go.

Mabel was a very early conversion from horseboat to motor and FMN was the Skinners' regular change boat loaned by Tooleys when Friendship was in dock.

The hulls are in better condition than the photo suggests but they are still £1k boats needing saving rather than selling.

Don't be coy Tim.

Forgetmenot-1.jpg

If the government hadn't brought in student loans rather than grants, I suspect there might be a few more wooden boats in better condition!

Theirs is a motor boat. Not to say it hasn't been motorised from a horse boat at some point in its life.

Pete Harrison might know more?

Tim

Establishing the history of this FORGET ME NOT is difficult as there were several boats of that name trading on the Oxford Canal and Grand Union Canals at the same time.

Having said that I am as confident as I can be that this FORGET ME NOT started its life in 1928, and was most likely built in the Coventry area as this is where it was first health registered. It is said to have passed through the ownership of Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd., and this can also be traced through the Daventry health register as well as the Oxford Canal Company gauge registers. 'Barlows' wrote to the Daventry health inspector on 18 November 1953 stating that they had sold FORGET ME NOT to J. Skinner. Shortly afterwards FORGET ME NOT was acquired by Michael Rogers and converted into a hotel boat by Tooleys at Banbury. As always I am more than happy to be corrected captain.gif

The Wooden Canal Boat Society do have a boat named FORGET ME NOT which started life in 1926 as a horse boat. This boat was converted to a motor in 1929 and retained its original name. This boat also passed into the ownership of Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. whereupon in was renamed as SARAH. This boat was sold by 'Barlows' in 1959, several years after the horse boat FORGET ME NOT had been converted to a hotel boat.

Edit - this FORGET ME NOT was constructed for, and motorised for Henry Grantham and had nothing to do with the Skinner's.

Edited by pete harrison

Mabel was a very early conversion from horseboat to motor and FMN was the Skinners' regular change boat loaned by Tooleys when Friendship was in dock (edited to add: Searching for the FMN in dock photo I see that she was a different boat to Tooley's change boat after all).

Don't be coy Tim.

Forgetmenot-1.jpg

OK, I confess, that is Yours Truly in the wooly hat, wielding the adze.

The OP's pics suggest that the fore end has survived remarkably well, considering that work was done in about 1978.

Tim

The Wooden Canal Boat Society do have a boat named FORGET ME NOT which started life in 1926 as a horse boat. This boat was converted to a motor in 1929 and retained its original name. This boat also passed into the ownership of Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. whereupon in was renamed as SARAH. This boat was sold by 'Barlows' in 1959, several years after the horse boat FORGET ME NOT had been converted to a hotel boat.

Edit - this FORGET ME NOT was constructed for, and motorised for Henry Grantham and had nothing to do with the Skinner's.

This boat?

16012396643_e3c1f48600_c.jpg

I'm confused now. Is the Forget-me-not in the OP the one I posted above with the Skinners?

Edited by Ray T

MABEL and FORGET ME NOT - also for sale via the 'Preloved' website @ £23000 captain.gif.

edit - the 'footer' at the bottom of your posts suggests your boat is different to the other Brum Tugs in that it has a Colecraft fore end. All but one Brum Tug was built by Colecraft, so all of these have a Colecraft fore end - yours included.

The boat I began my boating on was a Brumtug, built by Brummagem boats, is that the one that wasn't?

The boat I began my boating on was a Brumtug, built by Brummagem boats, is that the one that wasn't?

smiley_offtopic.gif

Brummagem Boats completed something like 16 Brum Tugs, and all but 1 utilised steel hull / cabin built by Colecraft. The one that was not built by Colecraft was built to the same design on site by Malcolm Pearson (1982 = Brum Tug No. 3).

There is a thread in the General section covering Brum Tugs captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison