Happy birthday

Featured Posts

Just thought I would share this with the anglers amongst us, it was my birthday the other day and my kids have booked the blue pool at burghfield, for me and some of my old fishing buddy,s, we have the whole lake between five of us for a weekend at the end of June , I,m like a kid waiting for Christmas ,

Just thought I would share this with the anglers amongst us, it was my birthday the other day and my kids have booked the blue pool at burghfield, for me and some of my old fishing buddy,s, we have the whole lake between five of us for a weekend at the end of June , I,m like a kid waiting for Christmas ,

Lovely pressie.

Blue Pool - not sure who owns it now (used to be CEMEX) before they sold out?

NB I have heard Redmire is a joke now - silted up, coloured up and declining big time.

Edited by mark99

Lovely pressie.

Blue Pool - not sure who owns it now (used to be CEMEX) before they sold out?

NB I have heard Redmire is a joke now - silted up, coloured up and declining big time.

. Sadly redmire has been trading on its history for many years now, but as the carp anglers get younger, the history means nothing as instant gratification takes its place, Instant big fish waters are the future, just look at the monument in Staffordshire, secure parking,24hr cctv, lift to your swim, cooked breakfast delivered to your swim plus flush toilet and shower, backed up with a realistic chance of a fish of a lifetime

. Sadly redmire has been trading on its history for many years now, but as the carp anglers get younger, the history means nothing as instant gratification takes its place, Instant big fish waters are the future, just look at the monument in Staffordshire, secure parking,24hr cctv, lift to your swim, cooked breakfast delivered to your swim plus flush toilet and shower, backed up with a realistic chance of a fish of a lifetime

Well it will keep proper waters free of numpties.

Well it will keep proper waters free of numpties.

. I have fished for carp since the start of the 90's and have spent most of my carping career on the canals as they are so untouched and I never encounter the same quality of dicks as you do on commercial fisheries, most of them can't handle the many many blank nights I have to go through, but to catch a fish that probably has never been caught before is worth it for me, this is how I came to own a boat after spending 30 years sleeping on the edge of the towpath I fell in love with it , I spent two years blanking every Friday night on the G and S then caught two 25 lb commons on the trot, I visit a few commercials every year normally to meet old friends and have a social with a chance of an odd big un, my last trip like this was on a mates 60 ith birthday, I did feel like I,d knicked his present when he blanked and I had a 33 lb mirror, but hey that's why it's called fishing and not catching,,

• 2 weeks later...

. I have fished for carp since the start of the 90's and have spent most of my carping career on the canals as they are so untouched and I never encounter the same quality of dicks as you do on commercial fisheries, most of them can't handle the many many blank nights I have to go through, but to catch a fish that probably has never been caught before is worth it for me, this is how I came to own a boat after spending 30 years sleeping on the edge of the towpath I fell in love with it , I spent two years blanking every Friday night on the G and S then caught two 25 lb commons on the trot, I visit a few commercials every year normally to meet old friends and have a social with a chance of an odd big un, my last trip like this was on a mates 60 ith birthday, I did feel like I,d knicked his present when he blanked and I had a 33 lb mirror, but hey that's why it's called fishing and not catching,,

We moor in the Colne Valley and there are some very large carp in the G. Union canal - escape'es from those closed shop lakes down the valley in time of floods.

Savay flooded a few years back and they lost a few down the cut.

If you get a chance, look a google earth down by Harefied/Rickmansworth and see the wealth of lakes down there - with the canal nearby. :)

IIRC a 40 was taken out of the GU.

• 3 weeks later...

My son caught a 15lb carp yesterday from under the bow of the boat, he caught it on 2lb line and a size 14 hook, he,s well chuffed and has gone back today armed with his carp gear,but there,s a nasty easterly wind blowing, so chance of a repeat performance are slim

Very good achievement. Last year I hooked one on the canal whilst messing about with small rudd. Similar line strength. It to me about 140 yards down canal (paced it out) before I lost it. Saw it about 17LB or so. So on that basis your boy is the king.

• 2 months later...

Have just returned from our fishing trip, weather was scorching and I won the wooden spoon, of five anglers in attendance, my friend and fishing machine James had three fish between 19lb and 27lb, lee three fish 20lb to 24lb and proudest moment of all, my son josh had a 22lb and 26lb, whilst me and Pete the team seniors were left with egg on our face and blanked for 48hrs, though on a brighter note I was very impress with spotting my first ever red kites, saw about half a dozen of them altogethe lovely few days and well recommend to anyone looking for a bit of exclusive fishing with a realistic chance of catching a whacker, now off for some last minute faffing ready for my daughter,s wedding on Saturday

Very good achievement. Last year I hooked one on the canal whilst messing about with small rudd. Similar line strength. It to me about 140 yards down canal (paced it out) before I lost it. Saw it about 17LB or so. So on that basis your boy is the king.

That reminds me of my Dad's tales when he'd come home with far fewer trout than Mom had expected to cook for dinner - suited me just fine as it meant I'd get a pork chop or steak instead of fish icecream.gif

BTW - what a lovely & thoughtful birthday gift, hope you have a bumper day

Red Kites are quite common in Thames Valley now. Seen a lot of em recently when doing 100 miles down the Thames. Nb sounds like you won really. Best to have your sprog catch than you?