A chandlery south of Marsworth on the GU?

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

Some time last autumn there was a thread on here about an Aladdin's cave of a chandlery somewhere on or just off the GU where many hard to find bits and pieces would be available to buy.

I'm making a trip by car to Slough next week and thought stopping off for a nosey would be a good idea but I can't find the thread. I've tried searching for Aladdin and emporium but nothing came up. Chandlery throws up all sorts of stuff but nothing that looks right.

Can someone post up the name again please?

This is pretty basic and could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be called "an Aladdin's cave".

My vote would also be for Uxbridge.

It's not getting any better, although he usually claims he "can get you one in".

I quickly gave that up when what he was "getting me in" was invariably not what I had asked for!

As has been said Uxbridge Boat Centre is by far the best supplied of the chandleries South of Tring Summit.

If you are spending significant money, they will often do a discount, though not always.

UBC is one of the best (if not the best) chandler I've used. Having moved away from the area it's a place that I do miss. Limekiln just isn't the same. I'd rather order from Uxbridge over the phone and just pay the postage.

Edited by blackrose

Do you mean chandlery or just general hardware? There is a fun place somewhere near Leighton Buzzard for general hardware, isn't there?

The best local place for general hardware is VAH in Northchurch - not far from the canal. Now that is a veritable Aladdin's cave. They also sell brassware - knobs, handles, bolts etc. at a fraction of chandlery prices. I also get my Sikaflex from there.

It's not getting any better, although he usually claims he "can get you one in".

I quickly gave that up when what he was "getting me in" was invariably not what I had asked for!

As has been said Uxbridge Boat Centre is by far the best supplied of the chandleries South of Tring Summit.

If you are spending significant money, they will often do a discount, though not always.

Yes he got in a flexible gas bottle hose for me and guess what, it had an Uxbridge boat centre price tag on it.

UBC is good ... and certainly cave-like. With a 'rope shed' attached. Great selection of books. They tracked down some Mason P-type paint for me (from France!) a couple of years ago.

I'd also highly recommend Denham Yacht Station (no yachts in sight!) A really friendly and dedicated bunch of people. Their chandlery packs in more than you'd expect, and is good for some things you won't necessarily be able to see at UBC, such as a wide range of fridges, stoves, boat light fixtures, Honda generators, ... .