Alvecote and Shackerstone?

Athy

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if there's an Alvecote Historic Boat|Gathering this year? The Historic Boat Club's web site has it listed on the last weekend of August, but with a question mark. The Alvecote Marina web site does not mention it at all. As the Shackerstone rally is on the first weekend of September, we're hoping that we can go to Alvecote and then straight to Shackertsone this year; in previous years they have been a couple of weeks apart, so work commitments have precluded our attending both events.

I am aware that some CWFers, notably Alan Fincher, worked hard a few months ago preparing a diary of this year's events; but putting "Events Diary 2015" into the search engine yields no results.

I have no idea why this has posted itself twice. I hope that one of the threads can be deleted when a moderator notices the duplication.

We have them listed for the Heritage Working Boats events for the year as:

22\23 Aug - Alvecote

5\6 Sept - Shackerstone

I am not sure if our events coordinator has ratified these dates with the organisers though.

Does anyone know if there's an Alvecote Historic Boat|Gathering this year? The Historic Boat Club's web site has it listed on the last weekend of August, but with a question mark. The Alvecote Marina web site does not mention it at all. As the Shackerstone rally is on the first weekend of September, we're hoping that we can go to Alvecote and then straight to Shackertsone this year; in previous years they have been a couple of weeks apart, so work commitments have precluded our attending both events.

I am aware that some CWFers, notably Alan Fincher, worked hard a few months ago preparing a diary of this year's events; but putting "Events Diary 2015" into the search engine yields no results.

I have no idea why this has posted itself twice. I hope that one of the threads can be deleted when a moderator notices the duplication.

Yes but if you had searched for say "+Shackerstone +Alvecote" you would find posts that contain both those two words.

The latest iteration of my list is here, and I note I still have Alvecote as a guess rather than confirmed. I can't guarantee anything on my list, as it is just "best endeavours"

We have them listed for the Heritage Working Boats events for the year as:

22\23 Aug - Alvecote

5\6 Sept - Shackerstone

I am not sure if our events coordinator has ratified these dates with the organisers though.

Ah, so still two weeks apart. Thanks anyway.

I think I originally also guessed 22nd and 23rd for Alvecote.

But then we realised this is usually a 3 day event to coincide with the August Bank hiliday monday, which is why I think it will be 29th to 31st.

You could try PMing "giveitsomeoil" for confirmation as he is involved in its organisation. Not sure how often he looks at CWDF though!

EDIT:

Having looked also at HNBC's calendar of events, they have also guessed the final, rather than the penultimate weekend of August, but do also have a question mark by it!

Edited by alan_fincher

Having looked also at HNBC's calendar of events, they have also guessed the final, rather than the penultimate weekend of August, but do also have a question mark by it!

Yes, that's the one I found. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I can confirm that the 'Alvecote Bash' (which seems to be a good name for it given some of the entrants steering abilities in our 'turning round competition'!) will take place as usual over the August Bank holiday weekend which this year is ....29th, 30th & 31st August

See you there.

Yes I can confirm that the 'Alvecote Bash' (which seems to be a good name for it given some of the entrants steering abilities in our 'turning round competition'!) will take place as usual over the August Bank holiday weekend which this year is ....29th, 30th & 31st August

See you there.

In direct competition with the IWA National....

Where is that being held this year? I thought that it had been discontinued following poor attendance at the last one a few years ago. In any case, would there be much of an overlap, as I seem to remember (admittedly from attending only two such events, B-o-T and St. Ives) that there were not a great number of historic boats there.

So, consecutive weekends....looks as if Trojan will be hitting the road in late summer, then. Thanks to those who proffered information.

Where is that being held this year? I thought that it had been discontinued following poor attendance at the last one a few years ago. In any case, would there be much of an overlap, as I seem to remember (admittedly from attending only two such events, B-o-T and St. Ives) that there were not a great number of historic boats there.

This is the IWA "Festival of Water" the same weekend as Alvecote.

I think it will be a very different format from former IWA Nationals.

A shame the two conflict, as have been looking for an excuse to go down to Northampton for a while.

We have a stretch target to get at least one boat to Alvecote, but will give Shackerstone a miss, and try hard to be at the Stoke Bruerne "Village aty War" one weekend after that. This is one of my really favourite events, whereas Shackerstone left me quietly unimpressed.

We have a stretch target to get at least one boat to Alvecote, but will give Shackerstone a miss, and try hard to be at the Stoke Bruerne "Village aty War" one weekend after that. This is one of my really favourite events, whereas Shackerstone left me quietly unimpressed.

I hope we'll have the chance to admire 'Flamingo' at Alvecote!

Sorry to read that you found Shackerstone disappointing. We enjoyed it (the 2013 one - we did not go last year), though admittedly it's not a waterways-focussed do in the way that Alvecote is. There's more emphasis on obsolete vintage land transport, and not many boat movements. Actually my enduring memory of Shackers, apart from breaking down hundreds of reeds so that we could moor within planking distance of the bank, was of the Battlefield railway station buffet and the gargantuan slices of cake served therein - we waddled contentedly through the rest of the day after sampling them!

I've just had a look at the IWA 'Festival of Water' website, and its not exactly a fount of knowledge (unless I'm looking at the wrong place). It gives very little info on the weekend and does not even give an entry fee for those without a boat - maybe its free!

Perhaps there will be more info nearer the date.

I've just had a look at the IWA 'Festival of Water' website, and its not exactly a fount of knowledge (unless I'm looking at the wrong place). It gives very little info on the weekend and does not even give an entry fee for those without a boat - maybe its free!

You could try talking to John Line, manager at Northampton Marina, ("Smudge" of this forum). I know he was very actively proactive in trying to get the IWA to get it right this time!

Yes, it's free entry!

https://www.waterways.org.uk/news/view?id=164&x%5B0%5D=news%2Flist

Sorry you won't be joining us Alan sad.png but have fun at Alvecote

I hope we'll have the chance to admire 'Flamingo' at Alvecote!

Sorry to read that you found Shackerstone disappointing. We enjoyed it (the 2013 one - we did not go last year), though admittedly it's not a waterways-focussed do in the way that Alvecote is. There's more emphasis on obsolete vintage land transport, and not many boat movements. Actually my enduring memory of Shackers, apart from breaking down hundreds of reeds so that we could moor within planking distance of the bank, was of the Battlefield railway station buffet and the gargantuan slices of cake served therein - we waddled contentedly through the rest of the day after sampling them!

Isn't damage to reeds etc what English Nature were so worried about?

Rather suspect that's been written by a CRT press officer!! Couldn't be less informative if they tried!