Boat Book Swap

Erin42

Featured Posts

Good morning! I wanted to share an idea for a book club I'm trying to get started.

Boat Book Swap is a travelling book club, for people who don't stay in one place. (Not just CC'ers, but anyone who enjoys boating and travelling.)

Rather than all of its members reading the same book, the Boat Book Swap involves books being recommended and shared by individuals. If you pass a fellow Book Swap boat, just introduce yourself and ask if they'd like to exchange a book. Read it in your own time and then pass it on when finished.

And, let's face it, book clubs have always been an excuse to share tea, booze and cake.

To become a member:
1) Put aside a few books that you have read, enjoyed, and don't mind never seeing again.
2) Print out or draw yourself a sign that says 'BOAT BOOK SWAP' and pop it in your boat windows, one for each side.

Once you have finished a book, add your name, your boat name, and your current location to the inside cover. And then pass it on! Let's see how far our books can travel.

4SwBZEcl.jpg

Like lots of other people I occasionally leave books I've finished in public places, to be picked up by another reader, but the idea behind Book Swap is to recommend and exchange books personally with strangers. I've made a facebook page (www.facebook.com/BoatBookSwap) to try and get people involved. It's early days so let me know if you have any comments/suggestions! Cheers smile.png

Edited by Erin42

I had the idea of opening a Topic on here but only for DVD's. You just list what you have to swap and any specific DVD you would like then if anyone wants to swap, they send a PM and then you just post them to each other, the postage costs should be equally the same due to the common DVD case size and weight. A simple way of getting new DVD's.

Edited by Northernboater

My GF already swaps books with other boaters we have met. If there is time to strike up conversation with another boater these things happen anyway. I'm not sure about wife swapping though, although it probably goes on...lol

As a solo liveaboard boater of only 6 months I'm sometimes a bit shy of going introducing myself to other boaters. Starting an informal book club and putting up a sign to welcome people to knock on my boat and ask for a book is just another way of being sociable and meeting people, but yes I'm sure other people will manage just fine without it!

Once you have finished a book, add your name, your boat name, and your current location to the inside cover. And then pass it on! Let's see how far our books can travel.

4SwBZEcl.jpg

If the books travel as far as the boats travel in London I doubt they'll get more then a few hundred yardslaugh.png

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 2

Oh i love this idea!

. I don't know if it's just a local thing but pretty much every old phone box around me, North Somerset to South gloucester is a book exchange, I would imaging it's the same all around the country just slow down and have a peak next time you see a phone box in the countryside

. I don't know if it's just a local thing but pretty much every old phone box around me, North Somerset to South gloucester is a book exchange, I would imaging it's the same all around the country just slow down and have a peak next time you see a phone box in the countryside

And every canalside pub, and sanitary station. Not to mention banters

Places and methods to exchange books on the cut are fairly common

Richard

And every canalside pub, and sanitary station. Not to mention banters

Places and methods to exchange books on the cut are fairly common

Richard

You're right, of course, there is always a way to get books, wherever you happen to be.

But I've always been a fan of book clubs, nonetheless. We've nearly 100 likes on our facebook page, at least, so that's something!

• 1 year later...

Good morning! I wanted to share an idea for a book club I'm trying to get started.

Boat Book Swap is a travelling book club, for people who don't stay in one place. (Not just CC'ers, but anyone who enjoys boating and travelling.)

Rather than all of its members reading the same book, the Boat Book Swap involves books being recommended and shared by individuals. If you pass a fellow Book Swap boat, just introduce yourself and ask if they'd like to exchange a book. Read it in your own time and then pass it on when finished.

And, let's face it, book clubs have always been an excuse to share tea, booze and cake.

To become a member:

1) Put aside a few books that you have read, enjoyed, and don't mind never seeing again.

2) Print out or draw yourself a sign that says 'BOAT BOOK SWAP' and pop it in your boat windows, one for each side.

4SwBZEcl.jpg

Like lots of other people I occasionally leave books I've finished in public places, to be picked up by another reader, but the idea behind Book Swap is to recommend and exchange books personally with strangers. I've made a facebook page (www.facebook.com/BoatBookSwap) to try and get people involved. It's early days so let me know if you have any comments/suggestions! Cheers smile.png

I am sure I have seen a boat with a sign saying Book Swap.