three bodies short stretch of canal

gaggle

Featured Posts

It is a bit unusual that three deaths have happened in a very short "few hundred yards " of waterway in susch a small period of time is all I was posting , I post as soon I imagine a few on here may be boating in the area concerned .

It is a bit unusual that three deaths have happened in a very short "few hundred yards " of waterway in susch a small period of time is all I was posting , I post as soon I imagine a few on here may be boating in the area concerned .

I think the point is, Gaggle, that the deaths probably have nothing to do with the canal per se, except that it happens to run through Liverpool -- it's a false correlation.

Does it get busy on the cut in Bootle?

similar thing happened in Bath, despite the river being fenced most of the way and emergency grab wires being rigged where egress would be difficult.

Looking at a previous thread I think Liverpool has a long way to go to match Manchester.

George ex nb Alton retired

I don't think it's unusual at all. Thousands of people die every day in this country. Usually they die at home or in hospital but sometimes they die in the street or on the bus. Occasionally they end up in the water. To me it actually seems odd how few dead bodies most of us see in our lives.

How many deaths on the roads in the past 3 months in the same locality?

Probably fewer: the UK average is 3.8 road deaths per annum per 100,000 population. The population of Bootle is around 77,000, which would suggest less than 3 in a year, rather than 3 in 3 months.

Gaggle has highlighted a dreadful coincidence, and one hopes it is a coincidence. The deaths in Bath were not - the river is a death trap, 12 feet deep right to the edge with much of the river being between vertical banks up to 10 feet above water level.

Probably fewer: the UK average is 3.8 road deaths per annum per 100,000 population. The population of Bootle is around 77,000, which would suggest less than 3 in a year, rather than 3 in 3 months.

Gaggle has highlighted a dreadful coincidence, and one hopes it is a coincidence. The deaths in Bath were not - the river is a death trap, 12 feet deep right to the edge with much of the river being between vertical banks up to 10 feet above water level.

Sadly any water is a death trap especially when mixed with alcohol. My bruv narrowly escaped twice in one day! I won't tell you how I know this...

Is that unusual for a river? I'd say that applies to stretches of most navigable rivers.

Edited by blackrose

Is that unusual for a river? I'd say that applies to stretches of most navigable rivers.

Not really, although it's true of many urban stretches of river and places like Bristol Floating Harbour. The river Avon, for example, is typically 10-15 feet deep with sloping sides with some vegetation, so there is some hope of clinging onto something and crawling out. In Bath, it is sheer engineered walls and dredged to 12 feet right to the edge. One safety measure they could have put in when they did this (late sixties/early seventies) would have been a ledge about four feet below water level that you could stand on: this would also make it easier to climb the few ladders that there are.

I fell in the Avon in Bath a few years ago, and I couldn't get out. In the end I climbed up the rudder and tiller of a narrow boat.

Whilst not exactly on post. I think its worth remembering that cold water is a killer at this time of year. At certain temperatures the body will close down and arms and legs will refuse to work. A friend fell in the Thames at this time of year and literally could not move although only feet from the bank. He had to be pulled out from the bank. Please be careful even if you are a strong swimmer.

The deaths of children who drowned in the canal in Bootle in the 1950s, '60s and early '70s almost led to this section of canal being closed. Netherton was a bit of a black spot after Bootle Council built a new estate on either side of the canal without making any acknowledgement that the canal was there. After a few deaths, fences over six foot high were erected on either side of the canal and on the swing bridges, which just led to adults being unable to reach children in the canal. At one stage, there was a scheme to convert the canal into a roadway into the docks.

Until the 1990s, the canal towpath was isolated from the rest of the area by locked gates, and it is only comparatively recently that the canal has featured in planning decisions and improvements to access. People will need time to become accustomed to using the canal.

Whilst not exactly on post. I think its worth remembering that cold water is a killer at this time of year. At certain temperatures the body will close down and arms and legs will refuse to work. A friend fell in the Thames at this time of year and literally could not move although only feet from the bank. He had to be pulled out from the bank. Please be careful even if you are a strong swimmer.

It can be strange though, I fell in just above the top lock in Stoke on Trent, on an absolutely freezing day. We were just mooring up, having come from Stone that morning - I had steered while my wife locked and I was pretty stiff, hence the fall.

Anyway, the water was, or seemed to be, much warmer than the air. I would happily have stayed in if I'd had the chance!

According to my recollection of an offshore survival course, the big problem is the involuntary gasp as you hit the cold water -- and inhale water.

But what you wrote is also true.

According to my recollection of an offshore survival course, the big problem is the involuntary gasp as you hit the cold water -- and inhale water.

But what you wrote is also true.

That's what surprised me when I lost my footing on the GU near Hemel once. The water was only about 4 ft deep but the momentum as I fell off the boat was enough to put my head under the water. I was fine once I straightened my legs and got a footing. It happens so quickly and if I'd been drinking or slipped underneath the boat who knows....be careful folks...