Wanted (losing will to live looking) 30k to 40k Narrowboat

Skyraker

Featured Posts

First off background.

I'm a cash buyer, I have between 30k and 40k to spend, I've looked at some real dogs which look nice on paper but neither fit my bill or feel like home or are astonishingly expensive (sovereign lady) for example on sale at 39k reduced from 44k who would come for 30k ish. Great boats if you have the skills to move the bedroom mid ship, take remedial work on a boat that has sat for 2 years... That's not me.

I build computers and networks, my carpentry skills and imagination do not exist on a level to be confident to complete a proficient job.

So...45k say 35 with inspired haggling leave me with a Surplus if 4k with bugger all room for manoeuvre.

On the bright side I could look at a boat own sale around 45k, go in at 40 and the result is a perfect boat where there is little requirement for me to bugger about and learn as I go along.

I've hired many times, done the Lea and Stort before Broxbourne sold up.

All the boats I've seen around 30 to 40 have just felt wrong.

My requirements are simple

57 min traditional

65 ft cruiser or semi

A smart home feel interior, professionally done.... Mid ship bedroom, no pram cover or that's the first thing on the log burner....a dinette, separate if possible....side hatch a must. Age late 1990s to mid 2000, I don't want it to depreciate , I'll look after her to keep her value.

I can do engine maintain, gaze knowingly at battery banks etc...

Sine wave inverter... Would be nice....

Please help guys.

Much Love

Des

Yes she will be mostly lived onboard with home mooring out of Hatherton on the Staffs summit.

Edited by Skyraker

Any particular reason for the "mid ship' bedroom? I'm only asking because that will severely limit your choice. We looked at loads of boats when we were boathunting and I can't think of any we viewed with that layout.

We live aboard and our bedroom is at the back. The point of entry is at the front, which means when we have visitors our bedroom remains a private place (unless we're cruising of course!)

First off background.

I'm a cash buyer, I have between 30k and 40k to spend, I've looked at some real dogs which look nice on paper but neither fit my bill or feel like home or are astonishingly expensive (sovereign lady) for example on sale at 39k reduced from 44k who would come for 30k ish. Great boats if you have the skills to move the bedroom mid ship, take remedial work on a boat that has sat for 2 years... That's not me.

I build computers and networks, my carpentry skills and imagination do not exist on a level to be confident to complete a proficient job.

So...45k say 35 with inspired haggling leave me with a Surplus if 4k with bugger all room for manoeuvre.

On the bright side I could look at a boat own sale around 45k, go in at 40 and the result is a perfect boat where there is little requirement for me to bugger about and learn as I go along.

I've hired many times, done the Lea and Stort before Broxbourne sold up.

All the boats I've seen around 30 to 40 have just felt wrong.

My requirements are simple

57 min traditional

65 ft cruiser or semi

A smart home feel interior, professionally done.... Mid ship bedroom, no pram cover or that's the first thing on the log burner....a dinette, separate if possible....side hatch a must. Age late 1990s to mid 2000, I don't want it to depreciate , I'll look after her to keep her value.

I can do engine maintain, gaze knowingly at battery banks etc...

Sine wave inverter... Would be nice....

Please help guys.

Much Love

Des

Yes she will be mostly lived onboard with home mooring out of Hatherton on the Staffs summit.

Why the aversion to a pram cover???

If you dislike them that much they are easy to remove.

Why the aversion to a pram cover???

If you dislike them that much they are easy to remove.

Personal preference.... I know some love them, some, don't.

I don't really like catch covers if I'm honest...

Just my preference, I don't want to start a debate and derail this thread.

We have a central bedroom, bow to stern we are saloon, galley, bedroom, bathroom, engine room, back cabin. Works well for us, so they are out there, but rare.

no cratch or pram either, juSt a lovely long tug deck!

Edited by Ally

We have a central bedroom, bow to stern we are saloon, galley, bedroom, bathroom, engine room, back cabin. Works well for us, so they are out there, but rare.

Yep sorry Ally - I forgot that yours was a boat with a midship bedroom. I'm just wonderful why this is a "must have" when it severely limits the choices available.

Ok, the bedroom doesn't have to be Mid ship. it's just most hire boats don't and that's what I'm used to.... I'm very open to compromise on this.

Reverse layout can f**k off though wink.png

Edited by GoodGurl
edited swearing

Personal preference.... I know some love them, some, don't.

I don't really like catch covers if I'm honest...

Just my preference, I don't want to start a debate and derail this thread.

Actually I'm not really asking why you don't like them. I'm pointing out why your dislike of them is matterless.

It's akin to you viewing a house and saying you don't like the wallpaper. A pram hood is easily removed, easier than wallpaper in fact.

You can debate pram hoods all you like and derail your own thread if you wish but that wasn't my point.

So do we.

From bow to stern we are.

Lounge/saloon - galley - bedroom - bathroom - back cabin.

No engine room as ours is under the counter. It worked well for us too.

Actually I'm not really asking why you don't like them. I'm pointing out why your dislike of them is matterless.

It's akin to you viewing a house and saying you don't like the wallpaper. A pram hood is easily removed, easier than wallpaper in fact.

You can debate pram hoods all you like and derail your own thread if you wish but that wasn't my point.

I honestly didn't think they came off so easily. Still going for firewood though.

I also loathe those twin chairs people have towards the bow. Another contentious issue I'm sure, I'm well aware they can be skipped but this is about what I'm looking for in a boat. My preference is a L shaped sofa or something terribly ingenious instead.

Guys, Out of every 50 boats on duck and elsewhere maybe one has made me think 'ooh'.... But then they have painted the bloody walls white (another contentious) issue I know and I'm thinking about how long it's going to take me to take tongue and groove back to something natural and stain (not varnish... Don't get me bloody started on year after year of varnish).

Did everyone go through this?

Ok, the bedroom doesn't have to be Mid ship. it's just most hire boats don't and that's what I'm used to.... I'm very open to compromise on this.

Reverse layout can f off though ;)

Ours is from the front lounge, kitchen (open plan) bathroom bedroom and then engine room (trad stern). It's worked well for us coming up for six years liveaboard. Keep searching - we looked at loads of boats before we found the one that suited our needs and fitted our budget (which was 25k - very challenging!) Edited by Ange

Reverse layout can .... off though ;)

I don't understand the need for the F word.

It's a boat layout choice you are asking about, how can it be expected to do that?

I honestly didn't think they came off so easily. Still going for firewood though.

I also loathe those twin chairs people have towards the bow. Another contentious issue I'm sure, I'm well aware they can be skipped but this is about what I'm looking for in a boat. My preference is a L shaped sofa or something terribly ingenious instead.

Guys, Out of every 50 boats on duck and elsewhere maybe one has made me think 'ooh'.... But then they have painted the bloody walls white (another contentious) issue I know and I'm thinking about how long it's going to take me to take tongue and groove back to something natural and stain (not varnish... Don't get me bloody started on year after year of varnish).

Did everyone go through this?

If you reject boats on matters and issues that can be easily solved, such as wall colour, you will never buy one.

I don't understand the need for the F word.

It's a boat layout choice you are asking about, how can it be expected to do that?

If you reject boats on matters and issues that can be easily solved, such as wall colour, you will never buy one.

You've got me on this one mate, ive spent a good 10 minutes thinking about it.

Either you're berating me for my language (I doubt) or you're cleverer than me (which is fair enough)

You've got enough cash to get a decent boat. Your specific requirements are potentially going to make the search a long one - the bedroom you want is relatively rare - but unless you're in a big hurry just keep looking. There's not much else you can do if you're adamant about what you want.

Reverse layout can f**k off though wink.png

My ex hire boat has a midships bedroom.

65ft cruiser stern. L shaped dinette.

For the price of a previously owned Black Prince you could probably pay someone to tongue and groove the walls for you. But you're asking for very specific things considering your budget. Why not get a nearly perfect boat and live on it, and when you've earned some more dosh pay someone to make any amendments to it you want. Saves you the work and ensures you end up with the exact spec you want.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Keep them coming, I need ideas.....

examples (trust me I look daily) and I promise to take you to the pub and get you leathered.

-edit- Trust me the "look I found the bloke a boat so he got me pissed" ....... will work on the missus.

Edited by Skyraker
  • Greenie 1

I promise to take you to the pub and get you leathered.

Aye carumba! :blink:

Just wanted to add that I've edited my post above and added some blurb.

-edit- Trust me the "look I found the bloke a boat so he got me pissed" ....... will work on the missus.

Edited to add: I am a missus! ;)

That's the second time I've been mistaken for a fella in the forum in as many days! I suppose my pink knitted avatar is a bit butch. ;):P

Edited by BlueStringPudding

For the price of a previously owned Black Prince you could probably pay someone to tongue and groove the walls for you. But you're asking for very specific things considering your budget. Why not get a nearly perfect boat and live on it, and when you've earned some more dosh pay someone to make any amendments to it you want. Saves you the work and ensures you end up with the exact spec you want.

That's what I want... The perfect boat...I just can't find one.

Good advice. I can remember being told when we first bought our boat to live with it a year before we made any changes, because your perceptions as a non liveaboard are very differnt to the reality of the life.

They were spot on.

I think my imagination works against me.

I just can't see how to change a 30k boat into a dream, let alone have this skill set to accomplish this.

If I had what I thought at the time was bang on, then I could spend twelve months nosing around other craft going "yeah what a great idea"

If I cracked on now I'd muck it up, sawdust everywhere, wiring going to places God alone would know and I'd get fleeced left right and centre. Hence the need for the boat that only requires blacking,an nodes, battery maintenance and diesel.

I'll learn as I go along, much like you did.

our 65ft ex black prince is from stern to bow Galley - Bathroom -Bedroom - Lounge.

we fitted this ourselves to be the perfect layout it was exactly what we wanted at the time, 3yrs later there are things i would like to change (but can't), shorter lounge 2nd bedroom with bunks plus moving the stuff around that we have fitted to put somewhere else.

So you see buying that "perfect" boat might not be so perfect 3 - 5 years down the line.

We got a cracking 57ft boat from a reputable builder for 27k. It took us a long time and a lot of miles. Don't despair - keep searching :)

Thanks, thats great to hear.

ive only got six weeks to find her, survey and buy her. There are reasons for this, but it is just how it is sadly.