Masterlink MICC

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

My Mastervolt 12/200/100 Combo is now in and working as my old Heart Mastervolt was drawing 10A with inverter on in idle and nothing plugged in and the new Combi is taking just under 1A.

So I have been considering the Masterlink MICC.Has anyone got any advice/experience on using this box. Its a tadge expensive so will it do the same as the Smartguage which is a little cheaper and from what I can see you don't have to put in a big 500A shunt.

Just wondering.

Bob

I've got a MICC. Find it very good.. Can remotely control the inverter, gives very good accurate info on SOC, voltage to 2 decimal places, can control the point where the inverter "adds" to the landline (useful if you run a 1kw genny, and the inverter tops it up). It came with tho boat, and yes, an expensive bit of kit. I like it a lot though. Always know exactly what is going on, how many Ah I've used, etc. my solar also goes through the shunt, and so I get how much A its putting in, voltage etc.. Also tells me the voltage of the starter battery.

My inverter uses about 0.4A at idle. Yours probably will too. :)

I have install many MICC

If you require a device that will control the Combi

And also monitor the current in an out of the service battery plus display the service battery voltage and stater battery voltage

Then an MICC is required

But if you just went to monitor current and voltage have look at the Mastervolt BTM III

If you decide to go down the MICC route please contact me as I have a New MICC which is unopened only a few weeks old customer change there mind

Keith

I have install many MICC

If you require a device that will control the Combi

And also monitor the current in an out of the service battery plus display the service battery voltage and stater battery voltage

Then an MICC is required

But if you just went to monitor current and voltage have look at the Mastervolt BTM III

If you decide to go down the MICC route please contact me as I have a New MICC which is unopened only a few weeks old customer change there mind

Keith

Out of interest, what's the normal price of the MICC, vs getting a Mastershunt and Masterview easy? Can you change settings such as charging voltage with the MICC?

Hi ya,

Yep, As a livaboard I love Mastervolt equipment, I've been one of the lucky ones that tends to 'Fit and Forget' with All my Bits n Bobs working faultlessly up to now.

Cost, Yep Expensive, I'm sure other equipment can do pretty much the same at a cheaper cost.

What I like about it (especially if you get the Generator pad as well) and think about where you mount them is, You can START, MONITOR, and STOP, INVERTOR, GENERATOR, BATTERY CHARGER, as well as accurately monitor Solar, Wind, input, and ofcourse Battery banks from the key pad.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qas4x9w02pf0jik/2014-04-14%2012.31.34.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

My Mastervolt 12/200/100 Combo is now in and working as my old Heart Mastervolt was drawing 10A with inverter on in idle and nothing plugged in and the new Combi is taking just under 1A.

So I have been considering the Masterlink MICC.Has anyone got any advice/experience on using this box. Its a tadge expensive so will it do the same as the Smartguage which is a little cheaper and from what I can see you don't have to put in a big 500A shunt.

Just wondering.

Bob

Our boat has one of these and I found it a useful addition to our combi. The combi is in the very rear of the boat and the MICC is in the galley half way along the boat. The ability to monitor what was going on and being able to switch the various functions of the combi without having to go to the rear cabin each time is I found very useful indeed.

It does appear to be pretty accurate regarding reporting actual battery capacity, even taking into account of the age of the bank. Whether it does this better than a Smart gauge I couldn't say TBH.

They are as you say not cheap but on balance worth it I would say especially if you mount it where you would find it most useful. Bear in mind though you have to run a connecting cable between the MICC and the main unit. Easier to hide when the boat is being built which is when ours was installed, less easy to hide in a retro fit installation iparticularly if there is some distance between them.

Out of interest, what's the normal price of the MICC, vs getting a Mastershunt and Masterview easy? Can you change settings such as charging voltage with the MICC?

All prices are R. R. P plus vat

MICC £ 448.18

Mastershunt £ 291.00

Easy view £ 234.00

Masterbus combi interface £ 126.00

Unfortunately voltages can not be changed using an MICC

Just basic controls of the combi.

Keith

All prices are R. R. P plus vat

MICC £ 448.18

Mastershunt £ 291.00

Easy view £ 234.00

Masterbus combi interface £ 126.00

Unfortunately voltages can not be changed using an MICC

Just basic controls of the combi.

Keith

Thanks Keith, so my solution is quite a bit more but then it does give you complete control over the Combi, and any other MV stuff connected to the bus, as well as having a built in 500A fuse. Does the MICC have analogue wiring from the shunt, or is it converted to digital at the shunt as per Mastershunt?

Thanks Keith, so my solution is quite a bit more but then it does give you complete control over the Combi, and any other MV stuff connected to the bus, as well as having a built in 500 A fuse. Does the MICC have analogue wiring from the shunt, or is it converted to digital at the shunt as per Mastershunt?

Hi

The shunt is hard wired to the MICC

Also the monitor voltages and dc supply

Keith

Hi

The shunt is hard wired to the MICC

Also the monitor voltages and dc supply

Keith

OK so maybe a slightly harder install - you have to run "live wires" as opposed to plugging in cat 5 cable. I don't know if you've used a mastershunt (I guess you have, being a mastervolt agent!) but I think it is pretty good as an AH-counting meter, automatic calculation of charge efficiency plus of course the usual voltage, current, time to run and a history of number of cycles, any battery abuse etc.

OK so maybe a slightly harder install - you have to run "live wires" as opposed to plugging in cat 5 cable. I don't know if you've used a mastershunt (I guess you have, being a mastervolt agent!) but I think it is pretty good as an AH-counting meter, automatic calculation of charge efficiency plus of course the usual voltage, current, time to run and a history of number of cycles, any battery abuse etc.

Hi

Have you every removed the cover of the shunt?

If you are happy to do so check the retaining bolts of the fuse

There is a small down side it will only monitor one voltage an MICC can do two.

Keith

Hi

Have you every removed the cover of the shunt?

If you are happy to do so check the retaining bolts of the fuse

There is a small down side it will only monitor one voltage an MICC can do two.

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks for the tip. Yes I removed the cover when I installed it and at the time the fuse bolts were fine, but perhaps they can vibrate loose? I'll check.

Yes it only does the domestic bank but then I tend to think the engine battery looks after itself (and of course runs the voltmeter on the engine instrument panel)

Hi Keith, thanks for the tip. Yes I removed the cover when I installed it and at the time the fuse bolts were fine, but perhaps they can vibrate loose? I'll check.

Yes it only does the domestic bank but then I tend to think the engine battery looks after itself (and of course runs the voltmeter on the engine instrument panel)

Also have a look at the digital shunt within the Mastershunt in the negative circuit.

Keith

Also have a look at the digital shunt within the Mastershunt in the negative circuit.

Keith

Will do, thanks. At the moment can put in 175A or take out 200A without much voltage drop so hopefully it will be OK but it will only take a moment to check.