Batteries

snigsnig

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Does anyone know the best place to get a good deal on a new bank of batteries please?

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil

Batteries are done to death there are several threads on this subject tho the search engine is crap. There are basicaly two schools re batteries the one I am in is buy as cheap as possible keep them regularily charged but dont get anal about them and bin em every couple of years as they are like diesel a consumable item.

The second school treat them as though they gave birth to them feed them every week never take them below 98 percent polish the battery cases take fotos of them to share with friends try to get them to last four hundred and eighteen years to pass on to great great grandkids etc.

You choose your school. Mine basicaly cost me about three quid a week and I cannot be arsed to worry too much about them at that price. My last set were on the boat 3 years and I never even topped them up so yippeeeee.

Pay about 60 or 70 squid for a bog standard 110 amp hour 12 volt. Easy to obtain anywhere at any time.

Cheers

Tim

That's all very well if you're a 'light user' (icecream.gif )

We had boggo ones,twice, and eventually reached the stage with both sets where we couldn't sustain even one evening, before they needed recharging. That was 550Ahs' worth.

Now we have proper batteries, I'm confident that will not be the case.

We had proper batteries much earlier, on a sea yacht, and that paid good dividends. I wouldn't have trusted NewMin's with that job.

Thanks guys, although really just after a decent supplier. Anywhere doing a buy 3 get 1 free, that kind of thing?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil

Limekiln usualy have a reasonable offer on they are worth a call. I got my last set last month from Sawley who had a bit of a deal on, Im not saying they were very cheap mind but they were in stock and on my boat without messing about with trolling the shops or postage. My last set I got from a caravan shop in Castleford they were cheap and lasted 3 years.

I believe even Midland swindlers sometimes sell them for less than a grand each!!

Tim

Tim

That's all very well if you're a 'light user' (icecream.gif )

We had boggo ones,twice, and eventually reached the stage with both sets where we couldn't sustain even one evening, before they needed recharging. That was 550Ahs' worth.

Now we have proper batteries, I'm confident that will not be the case.

We had proper batteries much earlier, on a sea yacht, and that paid good dividends. I wouldn't have trusted NewMin's with that job.

Ill bow to your superior knowledge then tongue.png I am I must admit a fairly light user as we dont hammer the batteries with many gadgets. But trust me cheap can do the job. I found the first twenty years as a full time liveaboard were the hardest but its got easier in the last few years. Of course quality inverters such as mastervolt make a big difference on how much hammer the batts get. Spend ya money on Guinness not batteries biggrin.png

Tim

Ill bow to your superior knowledge then tongue.png I am I must admit a fairly light user as we dont hammer the batteries with many gadgets. But trust me cheap can do the job. I found the first twenty years as a full time liveaboard were the hardest but its got easier in the last few years. Of course quality inverters such as mastervolt make a big difference on how much hammer the batts get. Spend ya money on Guinness not batteries biggrin.png

Tim

Is red wine ok?!!

ETA Can't even drink THAT tonight! I've made Mondays and Tuesdays 'dry' from now on. Funnily enough, I'm saving so much money that I can afford to drink on Mondays and Tuesdays again!

Edited by Loafer

Hi guys

Does anyone know the best place to get a good deal on a new bank of batteries please?

Many thanks

Neil

Haven't seen better deal than from Limekiln chandlers, collect only though. 3 x 110 Ah Numax open lead/calcium acid leisure batteries for £200, and pro-rata for greater numbers.