Full on Gongoozlers

mark99

Featured Posts

Is there anywhere as ""full on" as Camden Locks on a sunny day!

Stenson deep on the T&M used to get busy due to the proximity of the cafe and pub, Not as busy as Camden I guess but enough interested Gongoozlers to keep you busy and distracted if not careful.

Of all the places mentioned, Camden has to be the worst, or best. At least the top two locks are fenced but you have your work cut out at the bottom lock getting people to get up and remove their dangling feet from over the lockside.

Edited by pearley

My lasting memory was actually being a gongoozler myself while waiting for my parents boat to turn up in the 70's. It was at Teddington I think - Sunday - hot summer day - crowds sat around. A small open hire motor boat came into the lock with a couple - him in his best suit - her dolled up like Mrs Bouquet and two 13/14 yo girls. The engine cut out and he couldn't get it going again. Well Mrs B. just went on and on in a loud voice at this poor bloke's ineptitude and she new it was a mistake to hire the boat - we found out all about his failings in life.

The lock being empty it magnified her voice which just attracted a bigger audience he was bright red and as fr the two girls could anything be more embarrassing? No where to hide.

This left such an impression that everyone on board the Rubble Queen in locks are banned from shouting any instructions or moans in locks we use the 2 way radio quietly

But on the whole I don't have any problem with onlookers even when I mess up - thick skinned I guess.

The two places I can think of are in the centre of Banbury where you pass through the shopping centre and Bancroft Basin in Stratford. The number of tourists round Bancroft can be huge, especially at a bank holiday. We've had to ask some to get off the boat and point out they were trespassing (or committing piracy).

The two places I can think of are in the centre of Banbury where you pass through the shopping centre and Bancroft Basin in Stratford. The number of tourists round Bancroft can be huge, especially at a bank holiday. We've had to ask some to get off the boat and point out they were trespassing (or committing piracy).

Also had someone get on the boat at Bancroft Basin - they were taking pictures of each other!! Also had that at Hatton. Had to point out that it was my home....

Camden gets my vote too. We went through on a late October Saturday afternoon and I've never seen so many folk on a towpath literally, thousands! Countless pictures taken, at a pound a pop I'd have been a wealthy man.....if only.....

Dave

Camden gets my vote too. We went through on a late October Saturday afternoon and I've never seen so many folk on a towpath literally, thousands! Countless pictures taken, at a pound a pop I'd have been a wealthy man.....if only.....

Dave

It's your own fault, try keeping a scruffy boat instead

Richard

I got a large round of applause when I went up Camden Lock singlehanded. Nobody offered to help, though. (On second thoughts, I'm rather glad of that>)

I got a large round of applause when I managed to fall down the steps between the two locks, got up, and- deciding the only thing to do was to go with it- bowed to the assembled crowds.

Yep don't you just hate when people keep taking pictures of you and your boat !!!

Darren

Lol Darren I'm not sure what I photoed on Saturday. I just got your boat in focus and out popped this creature from the engine 'ole. I'll send you a copy when we are back. :)

Camden has it for me. Last May we found ourselves apologising (actually that bit is a lie) to people who had a disposable barbecue alight on the balance beam. Close second is Cropredy Bridge on Festival Weekend. 3rd Stratford on Avon