Nice little tug with vintage engine £27k

pippawatson

Featured Posts

I think I'd still rather buy THOR, a nice tug for sale at WFBCo for less money with a HA3 (i think).

I think you mean Thorn?

A big difference is that the one linked to above is 47 feet, whereas Thorn is only 38 feet.

WFBC details are always almost non existent, but you can be certain that Thorn will have massively less accommodation, and probably far less practical as a cruising boat with "home comforts".

EDIT....

But on the other hand Thorn is Dennis Cooper built, this one is a Pinder.....

Edited by alan_fincher

Here's a nice little boat for sale (currently under offer).

47ft

Gardner engine, 2LW

Good layout.

To me it looks reasonably priced and ticks all the boxes.

http://www.aqueductbrokerage.co.uk/index.php/boats-for-sale/boat/luckie_mucklebackit

One of my pet hates is cabins that rise at the back more than the gunwales giving a ski ramp effect. I don't like it at all.

One of my pet hates is cabins that rise at the back more than the gunwales giving a ski ramp effect. I don't like it at all.

You would not like many of the proper working boats (or ex working boats) then.....

It is a fairly standard feature of such.

IMG_7031.JPG

IMG_8939.JPG

You would not like many of the proper working boats (or ex working boats) then.....

It is a fairly standard feature of such.

The rise there is much gentler, and I think it's wrong to call it a 'standard feature', many many working boats had little or no rise towards the back.

I share Sab's dislike of cabins where it has been overdone.

Tim

The rise there is much gentler, and I think it's wrong to call it a 'standard feature', many many working boats had little or no rise towards the back.

Tim

It is much gentler, neither of those boats have the ski ramp effect that the one in the op does. Are either of those cabins original btw?

I'm moored opposite COLUMBIA now and by coincidence, I was looking at the back cabin and noting how slight the rise is.

Too dark now to take a photo but here's one at Braunston

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/5877131190/in/set-72157627059396050

Yes, but although I admit I'm not familiar with Columbia, I don't think what you look at today bears a heap of resemblance to the boat it once was.

Credit Ian Mumford.

Ian Mulford!

Yes, sorry I didn't quite mean to put it that way, although it is more or less "standard" for Grand Unions.

Yes, so do I, although Sab's original quote said nothing that singled out only the exaggerated caricature type.

This seems to be particularly popular on the "wings" of some semi-trads, where oversdoing it can look particularly odd.

Hi,

Nice tug, as has been said it was formerly owned by the Chairman of the Gardner Engine Forum and is the subject of an Executors sale.

Not sure about the price?!!!! but it came under offer quickly.

Someone got a bargain.

Not sure why but it does not quite 'push all the right buttons for me'.

L.

This boat was previously owned by a past Chairman of the Gardner Engine Forum who recently passed away. I am sure the engine will be spot on.

It looks like one of Walsh's renovations, so mechanically it probably will be, though he may have had to repaint it.

There's an huge difference between something absolutely perfectly 'traditional' whatever that really means and what 'works' in today's environment.

The former is (if I may make so bold) for the dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast, the existence of which I salute.

However there are lesser mortals who are happy with something that looks good and works for them with modern aspirations. It looks good to me - but then I'm probably a Philistine. My thought is that although an hydraulic drive (possibly not without some problems) is not Kosher, but I'm inclined to believe it was for a jolly good reason. Methinks that would make the rear accommodation more usable, better people layout and possibly 'nicer' engine room.

Feel free to tilt at my windmill.

I've long since given up the hair shirt for a comfortable parka....

There's an huge difference between something absolutely perfectly 'traditional' whatever that really means and what 'works' in today's environment.

The former is (if I may make so bold) for the dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast, the existence of which I salute.

However there are lesser mortals who are happy with something that looks good and works for them with modern aspirations. It looks good to me - but then I'm probably a Philistine. My thought is that although an hydraulic drive (possibly not without some problems) is not Kosher, but I'm inclined to believe it was for a jolly good reason. Methinks that would make the rear accommodation more usable, better people layout and possibly 'nicer' engine room.

If it's done properly hydraulic drive shouldn't be any kind of reliability issue at all.

I agree that mating a hydraulic drive to a boat with a traditional engine room and back cabin increases practicality. When we were looking for a boat I wanted a boat with a back cabin but Mrs Hound found them too low, so we ended up with a "floating cottage" layout. Now if we had seen a boat with a proper engine room and hydraulic drive we would have given it serious consideration.

Nothing wrong with the reliability of hydraulic drives. They are common in a variety of industries.

My six penneth on the subject. I looked briefly at the flexibility hydraulic drive offered but turned it down because I wished to use a vintage diesel fitted in trad engine room. I felt I would loose out on that wonderful sound as the engine spools up from low revs as forward gear is engaged and torque is dumped into a big propellor. Maybe it wouldn't have turned out that way, but then there was the cost.

Surely the main issue with that boat is it's not really a tug - the proportions are all wrong.

I don't know if there is actually an accepted definition of "tug" in the narrowboat context, but if that's the style of boat that takes your fancy surely you want a proper length foredeck? On this one the deck only just makes it to the end of the bow taper. It's a compromise and tugs should not be a compromise.