Steve Hudson Boats

dekker

Featured Posts

Web site still saying closed until further notice.

Must be hard to continue a business when it seemed apparent that so much of the end product had his personal stamp on it.

Edited by MJG

According to the second hand info have, the business won't be continuing, which is a great shame IMO. I suspect Glascote Basin, which I believe was rented from CRT, will be up for grabs at some point. Hopefully not yet another hire base!

Presumably there would have been some bespoke boats partially built at the time of SMH's death?

I wonder what will happen about those.

Posts on the unofficial SMH Yahoo forum suggested that owners of part built boats contact the accountants dealing with Steve's estate.

I went past Glascote Basin a week ago. Not many boats left there. A couple of part finished ones and a couple of ones he'd prepared earlier.

Sad to see. I always fancied specifying a Hudson if I won the lottery.

Edited by cuthound

I went past Glascote Basin a week ago. Not many boats left there. A couple of part finished ones and a couple of ones he'd prepared earlier.

Sad to see. I always fancied specifying a Hudson if I won the lottery.

Anyone on here still there or relocated recently?

So are the workers out of jobs ?

No quite the reverse as I understand it. With Steve being a sole trader, upon his death all bank accounts etc were frozen so there was no way to pay the workforce in the short to medium term even it the family had wanted to continue the business. Whilst one or two of the workforce decided to retire, the rest found new jobs virtually instantly. Around the same time I saw an item on Midlands Today about how Tamworth was booming, there was a shortage of skilled workforce etc. which explained why they had all been snapped up so quickly.

Anyone on here still there or relocated recently?

No on here I don't think, but we have an additional 5 Hudsons now residing at Fazeley Mill Marina.

Sorry to hear of Steve's passing away. All mickey taking apart, he was a crafts man who was part of the broad tapestry that makes the cut. If he doesn't get 'replaced' or his business carried on, it is another nail in the coffin of the canal world as we know it.

i'm the proud owner of one of his magnificent boats. I get a lump in my throat every time someone mentions the man.

If Mrs Hudson ever reads this forum, God bless her. She has every right to be very proud of the work that her 'man' did.

Mind you, he did charge for it. But we paid.

RIP, Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of those boat owners caught up in this situation. Poor Steve was a sole trader. It's taken ages for the slow legal system to sort things out. But now the 8 or 9 boats at different stages of completion are getting repatriated to their owners and in most cases moved to other yards for completion. Two boats, mine included, are nearer completion and will get most of the work done in the yard. My boat has been stuck in the spray shop since early December, and will be the last completed (or largely completed) Hudson to leave Glascote Basin. Not a distinction I could imagine when we commissioned the boat in November '13.

To the best of my knowledge the staff have been fairly treated.

Edited by DerekL

Thanks for that update Derek, and glad things are moving at last. It must have been torture being in limbo for so long but I suppose it has to be one of those things that you don't think about when you commission a new boat. Regarding the workers, I believe they all found new work very quickly except for a couple who decided to retire. Apparently Tamworth is a boom town.

I hope you will soon be able to enjoy your new boat. Let us know how it goes.

I do feel for those he left behind. It's a hard job to try and pick up pieces when the main man is missing. Whilst, as a smaller business, I managed to complete the work our business was doing, with more boats in build, and perhaps less hands on Co directors involved, it must be so hard for his family. There will be customers disappointed, but hopefully they will be understanding and patient. It's a very difficult situation.

We came past Glascote yesterday.

Seeing all the unfinished boats waiting patiently for completion was a sad sight even though I had never met the man. Seen his boats out and about and in my opinion good looking boats.

Could all the ex employees not purchase the business and carry on but in a different guise.

Martyn

We came past Glascote yesterday.

Seeing all the unfinished boats waiting patiently for completion was a sad sight even though I had never met the man. Seen his boats out and about and in my opinion good looking boats.

Could all the ex employees not purchase the business and carry on but in a different guise.

Martyn

I'm one of those boat owners caught up in this situation. Poor Steve was a sole trader. It's taken ages for the slow legal system to sort things out. But now the 8 or 9 boats at different stages of completion are getting repatriated to their owners and in most cases moved to other yards for completion. Two boats, mine included, are nearer completion and will get most of the work done in the yard. My boat has been stuck in the spray shop since early December, and will be the last completed (or largely completed) Hudson to leave Glascote Basin. Not a distinction I could imagine when we commissioned the boat in November '13.

To the best of my knowledge the staff have been fairly treated.

When you say spray shop do you mean Hudson boats were spray painted?

Ian.