How easy is it to remove a calorifier

Featured Posts

Hi

I have a small leak from a joint/nut under my calorifier and I cannot get to it without removing the calorifier. How easy is it to remove one ? I have already drained the domestic water in the tank as far as possible with a syphon tube but I am not sure about how to deal with the pipes from the engine and the pressure release valve connection. Thinking about getting a boatyard to sort out but just wondering if it is easy or not ?

The calorifier is under the bed.

Thanks
Matt

uncouple the heater pipes from the engine allow the water to run into the bilges or catch it in a jug. note when refilling use antifreeze. depending what type of pipes connect the calorifier obtain pipe caps to seal supply and feed pipes or just loosen and allow to drain into a container slide out or lift the bed and roll the calorifier to access the nut. Find a sutible washer.

uncouple the heater pipes from the engine allow the water to run into the bilges or catch it in a jug. note when refilling use antifreeze. depending what type of pipes connect the calorifier obtain pipe caps to seal supply and feed pipes or just loosen and allow to drain into a container slide out or lift the bed and roll the calorifier to access the nut. Find a sutible washer.

Hi

As the above. You will lose little water of any consequence if you are methodical with what and where you undo. I would just like to add though what age is the calorifier? Is it simply a leaky washer/joint? My recently purchased boat is a 2007 and had a weep from where the bung for the immersion fits which we were going to fix but on further investigation discretion being the better part of valour I decided to fit a new calorifier, yes they are a few quid but peace of mind was my foremost thought. Of course new one had to be totaly replumbed due to " Sods law "

Tim

Hi

Thanks both, as I am new to this and unsure of what I am doing I have decided to get the boatyard to deal with it until I am more confident. I would rather be sure that things are tickety boo before we head of cruising this year.

Cheers

Matt