spring''s just around the corner

johno38

Featured Posts

I see some mild joshing about the absence of the apostrophe in the title has been deleted.

It does seem a shame that the anti-grammar police are in the ascendency on these boards now. Getting offended on behalf of other people is never pretty, unless it was the OP who reported it in which case it's fair enough.

MtB

Missed that. what's an apostrophe between fellow forum members? I quite often miss them out or add them as the mood nay my naff english dictates.

As for spring..yep it's in the air the ducks are quacking quackers and zee birds sing as i type. The days grow longer and daffodillys begin to show promise of golden glory yet to come.

Many snowdrops out along the riverbank here, and in our garden the daffs are shooting up though not yet showing colour. When I get up (usually about 6.45) it's now fairly light, gone are those dark days of getting up in pitch darkness and getting home in pitch darkness. I even went shopping for a new lawn mower at the weekend.

This is often nature lulling us into a false sense of security before launching a final arctic blast of winter, be prepared!

Edited to add: off at a slight tangent, but it is spring-related. After several hours of viewing rotary mowers, both on line and "in the flesh", I came to the confused conclusion that every make is better than every other make. I've provisionally settled on an Alko, and not just because I like the name. Has anyone had any experience of this make, please?

Edited by Athy

I see some mild joshing about the absence of the apostrophe in the title has been deleted.

It does seem a shame that the anti-grammar police are in the ascendency on these boards now. Getting offended on behalf of other people is never pretty, unless it was the OP who reported it in which case it's fair enough.

MtB

Its not worth getting ones mad up about.

There's still time for snow .

I woke up on a boat to snow in April but that was before they invented Global Warming.

Must have been a couple of years ago now that we had snow at Easter. We were iced in at Torksey and then again at West Stockwith that weekend!

What is a clout?

huh.png

Can be a cloth (as in dishclout) or a coat; obviously in this context it means an item of warm clothing.

Opinions vary, though, as to the meaning of "till May be out"; it could mean until blossom appears on may trees, or until the month of May is over. As I once got snowed on on the K&A near Devizes in May, I support the latter theory.

Many snowdrops out along the riverbank here, and in our garden the daffs are shooting up though not yet showing colour. When I get up (usually about 6.45) it's now fairly light, gone are those dark days of getting up in pitch darkness and getting home in pitch darkness. I even went shopping for a new lawn mower at the weekend.

This is often nature lulling us into a false sense of security before launching a final arctic blast of winter, be prepared!

Edited to add: off at a slight tangent, but it is spring-related. After several hours of viewing rotary mowers, both on line and "in the flesh", I came to the confused conclusion that every make is better than every other make. I've provisionally settled on an Alko, and not just because I like the name. Has anyone had any experience of this make, please?

I've had an Alko shredder for many years and 100% happy with that . Cannot comment on their lawn mowers as mine is a Qualcast and I'm happy with that . In the old days it would be loyalty to buying a British made product but that loyalty seems to be long gone .

I've had an Alko shredder for many years and 100% happy with that . Cannot comment on their lawn mowers as mine is a Qualcast and I'm happy with that . In the old days it would be loyalty to buying a British made product but that loyalty seems to be long gone .

Thanks. Apart from the Allett, an expensive cylinder mower, can you think of a British-made mower? Even the Webb is made somewhere in Asia for the company who bought the name. At least the Alko is European!

Can be a cloth (as in dishclout) or a coat; obviously in this context it means an item of warm clothing.

Opinions vary, though, as to the meaning of "till May be out"; it could mean until blossom appears on may trees, or until the month of May is over. As I once got snowed on on the K&A near Devizes in May, I support the latter theory.

Clout was also sometimes referring to a sod of earth.

So watch out for frost and frozen ground.

Am close to Devizes and have been on Salisbury Plain in June to find snow still on the ground.

Can be bitter up on the wansdykes.