Anyone just received CRT letter 'reminding' CC'ers to move?

bassplayer

Featured Posts

We keep getting lots of people with lots of experience of telling us living aboard isn't a cheap alternative. Are you suggesting it actually is?

It depends how cheap you want to make it. Are you saying it's cheaper for the local tax payer to place people in a London flat? Given the option I'm sure many CM'ers would jump at the chance. Why not ask one of them?

What strikes me about that letter is the phrase "continuous cruiser licence". Up to now we've all just had a licence and some of us have mooring permits as well. This does seem like a redefinition with the possible aim of introducing two kinds of licence, although with the new terms & conditions for home moorers they may not need to.

In my limited experience, the general condition of the inside of a boat is very often similar to the outside!

Not always, but more often than not... smile.png

MtB

Conclusive proof then.

You should join the IWA, assuming you haven't already!

Conclusive proof then.

You should join the IWA, assuming you haven't already!

The implication being that only and possibly all IWA members think that way is as just as incorrect a generalisation as saying a boat that is not pristine on the outside is not likely to pass a BSS.

These kind of silly comments and generalisations help to achieve nothing save division neither does it do anyone's credibility any good.

Quite.

And even if CRT took up Bettie's suggestion and set up email notification of CC1, CC2 etc, the target boaters don't want to receive communications from CRT. They would just say they don't have an internet connection, or a computer even. For some this would probably be true too!

So back to square one. The postal system is the only suitable method for CRT to send notices.

Mike

You really aren't getting what I meant...

I only suggested for discussion that it would be nice if CRT gave us the option to receive general notices/communications either by email OR snail mail.

I really don't remember suggesting that it needed to be either one system or the other for All boaters, and nor do I ever remember suggesting CRT are responsible for my postal woos (not that I actually have any other than with them, funny enough)

In my last position before retiring, I had 100+ staff members under my supervision. two thirds of them were 55+ and at least two thirds of them were not comfortable with computers. About a year before I left, the company changed from a bi-weekly paper pay slip to a monthly on-line pay slip. Needless to say there was complete uproar from the folks who either didn't have a computer or were not comfortable using a computer.

The company set up training sessions, and installed staff computers in the various staff rooms so the folks who didn't have access to a home pc could use the ones in the staff rooms to book their A/L and print off or look at their pay stubs. Within two month of the new method going live, all were settled (with the exception of one) and happy to use the provided computers if they didn't have their own.

I only tell the above tale so you can see I have first hand experience in changing something from a paper system to a on line system. And I know first hand the stress and confusion it can cause for people who are not set up or want to be set up to go "on line"

** Please note - I'm in NO way suggesting CRT provide boaters with either computer training or computers with the above story.

Therefore I would not suggest that an email/online system be set up and ALL boaters would have to use that system, it simply wouldn't work.

However, I do still "think" (not based on any real facts or figures), that not only would CRT have a fairly large uptake on an offer to receive general notices/communications via an online/email service, but it would have a fairly significant decrease in the amount of cost to their post room budgets. Money that could be spent on other things like maintenance maybe

Even Maffi who is regularly picking up litter from the tow paths would have to agree that to reduce the amount of needless paper being wasted on these notices and envelopes would be a good thing.

So, if you can't afford something, you can just choose to ignore that rule.

Can't afford car insurance - no problem, just drive around uninsured.

Can't afford a TV licence - fine, don't bother.

Can't afford a mooring - yeah, just allocate yourself a bit of towpath.

How patronising. A good many of those who can't afford just don't have the luxury of the above items not to insure, or watch! If only all lives fitted into your little tick boxes!

What's that then?

I will give you 3 guesses .... although i know you know the answer, but rather than accepting it, you want to make excuses why someone should be able to move on a boat (even though they dont want to?) and the rest of us that pay our way should subsidize those poor people that are forced to continue living on boats and not doing.

Rick

I will give you 3 guesses .... although i know you know the answer, but rather than accepting it, you want to make excuses why someone should be able to move on a boat (even though they dont want to?) and the rest of us that pay our way should subsidize those poor people that are forced to continue living on boats and not doing.

Rick

Tick = box

Tick = box

Tick = box

:-)

I only tell the above tale so you can see I have first hand experience in changing something from a paper system to a on line system. And I know first hand the stress and confusion it can cause for people who are not set up or want to be set up to go "on line"

** Please note - I'm in NO way suggesting CRT provide boaters with either computer training or computers with the above story.

Therefore I would not suggest that an email/online system be set up and ALL boaters would have to use that system, it simply wouldn't work.

It is an excellent idea Betty, they could install remote terminals at every Elsan point.

Just log in icecream.gif with your boat number and receive all your latest information and enforcement notices while you empty your bowels (out of the cassette).

Pump-out owners would need a token to obtain their relevant notices, in fact, if you were section 8 level, they could even make the pump out stick and hold your boat until the enforcement team steam in.

According to figures linked to on other threads there are as many boats in the london area under enforcement already this year as in the whole of the last and enforcement proper is only just beginning in March?

So that's well on the way to being sorted out if your of that persuasion? I can't see them being able to act faster than they are. It will be interesting to see how many boats end up back in Wilton Marina.

The CM'ers that some Home moorers with a local cruising pattern notice - CRT will know all about them, you are permitted to remain longer than 14 days if you have good reason, and as Tony Dunkley tirelessly points out, this is a right, not a permission situation.

That just leaves the mooring outside the pub. I suggest make them 30 minute moorings so all the weekend boaters can get a look in.

• Greenie 1

Well, that's a new angle.

Might as well let them get away with breaking the rules, because if you actually tell them they can't have a boat if they can't pay for one, they are just going to break into yours.

Or to put it another way, they want what they can't afford, and they are going to take it one way or another

Or perhaps the system is wrong in the first place ?

There are miles upon miles of canal but no moorings where people want them!

Or perhaps the system is wrong in the first place ?

There are miles upon miles of canal but no moorings where people want them!

That's because canals are for getting from A to B, they'd be lakes otherwise and quite useless as canals.

And because land "where people want it" for marinas is more profitable for housing.

What can CRT do if a boater does not want to take a mooring and disagrees with what they consider to be a reasonable distance moved, can CRT legally refuse a license?

Have you read this thread?

And because land "where people want it" for marinas is more profitable for housing.

he said moorings not marinas - he comes from the Macclesfield, where there is a distinct lack of decent moorings, and homeowners are getting these reduced as well.

That's because canals are for getting from A to B, they'd be lakes otherwise and quite useless as canals.

Have you read this thread?

Yes but there are many places that could be used for in line moorings that are left to wreck and ruin its all just plain stupid.

I am also sick of the double standards of this CRT who break rules themselves where they turn a blind eye to residential moorers on their own moorings that do not have residential status.

Its all getting very old and very boring.

he said moorings not marinas - he comes from the Macclesfield, where there is a distinct lack of decent moorings, and homeowners are getting these reduced as well.

I didn't realise, he didn't say. Do you mean towpath moorings just to stop if CC'ing or as home moorings? Or both?

Yes but there are many places that could be used for in line moorings that are left to wreck and ruin its all just plain stupid.

I am also sick of the double standards of this CRT who break rules themselves where they turn a blind eye to residential moorers on their own moorings that do not have residential status.

Its all getting very old and very boring.

Sorry I missed this post before I replied above. I can imagine your frustration.

I didn't realise, he didn't say. Do you mean towpath moorings just to stop if CC'ing or as home moorings? Or both?

Sorry I missed this post before I replied above. I can imagine your frustration.

Well the problem is this, they want you to move despite having paid to be on the water in the first place via a license they then pay someone wages to check if you have moved which cannot balance the books surely and to achieve what exactly?

You have paid for a license you are not entirely taking the mick but still they want more!

So go find more elsewhere instead of bothering boaters living in some ditch no one else would be daft enough to live!

There are no moorings due to the anal padantics of their own nonsensical system which makes it difficult to create moorings!

Edited by MunkeyBoy
  • Greenie 1

Well the problem is this, they want you to move despite having paid to be on the water in the first place via a license they then pay someone wages to check if you have moved which cannot balance the books surely and to achieve what exactly?

You have paid for a license you are not entirely taking the mick but still they want more!

So go find more elsewhere instead of bothering boaters living in some ditch no one else would be daft enough to live!

There are no moorings due to the anal padantics of their own nonsensical system which makes it difficult to create moorings!

What's the answer for you?

Rick

Nope...you've lost me now.