Anyone just received CRT letter 'reminding' CC'ers to move?

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Just received what looks like a standardised letter reminding us CC'ers that if we don't move enough we'll be subjected to short term trial licences until they assess whether we are complying . No distances mentioned but the two categories are :

1) Hardly moved - Three month trial licence

2) Moved but not enough - Six month trial licence

Can't quite see the difference in the 2 requirements (lol) but it says that if we don't comply we'll have to 'secure' a home mooring. Edited to say it does suggest that the licence won't be renewed in category 1 but it does go on to say they will get 3 months to prove themselves or get a home mooring.

Edited by bassplayer

Sounds reasonable to me. Good to see CART using some common sense.

Ian.

I doubt it will help lock queuing or make it easier to find a free VM this season though.

Ah well won't effect me as I receive no post

Get yourself a girlfriend with a house then! Lol

So, if you can't afford something, you can just choose to ignore that rule.

Can't afford car insurance - no problem, just drive around uninsured.

Can't afford a TV licence - fine, don't bother.

Can't afford a mooring - yeah, just allocate yourself a bit of towpath.

Yes there are p takers but beware of those who have nothing to lose....

A really stupid letter, you've not moved far enough, but we can't tell you how far is, Erm, hang on, Erm..........

We will remove your licence though if you don't travel at least.......?

The whole thing is becoming a disaster, hand it back to government.

It's starting to look like an amateur dramatics production going bad.

Edit to add, just seeing Mr mayalls post, I nominate him for director, he seems to have experience :-)

Edited by jenlyn

It will be fascinating to see how this unfolds.

I am not sympathetic to those who exploit the system and barely move.

On the other hand, as we all know, the 1995 Act does not specify distance. If a boater only moves 30 metres every 14 days, my opinion is that they are exploiting the system. However, I recognise that they are moving in accordance with their legal obligations.

I have read arguments that, if CRT make distance a requirement of the license , then that should be enough. However, if those requirements are not backed by law, those conditions become much harder to enforce and much easier to challenge. The conditions are illegal. Can any organisation therefore issue a contract which is in contravention of British Law? Is that a precedent that would benefit UK citizens in the long term - even if we might be in favour of this particular example?

Perhaps the 1995 Act would have been different had the waterways been as busy then as they are now.

My feeling - like it or not - is that we're in a period of transition. The new guidance/policy on movement , whilst not backed by law, is going to have an effect. In any hierarchy , it's much easier to push down than up. If I had to make a prediction, however, it would be that, as long as the law remains as it is, this initiative will soon be challenged in court and be ruled unfair and illegal. If it were to succeed, the wider implications would be too problematic for society.

Ah well won't effect me as I receive no post

When oh when will CRT join the 21st century???

I do find it most frustration that CRT are one of a very few organizations who still insist that we must have a postal address in order to communicate with us.

Why won't they realize it is more cost efficient for them to communicate with us via email & the fact that we would get their communications in a much more timely fashion.

For us, we have our mail forwarded to us only twice per year from a friend who collects it for us, from the very few organizations who still send us paper mail - CRT being the main one!

It will be fascinating to see how this unfolds.

I am not sympathetic to those who exploit the system and barely move.

On the other hand, as we all know, the 1995 Act does not specify distance. If a boater only moves 30 metres every 14 days, my opinion is that they are exploiting the system. However, I recognise that they are moving in accordance with their legal obligations.

I have read arguments that, if CRT make distance a requirement of the license , then that should be enough. However, if those requirements are not backed by law, those conditions become much harder to enforce and much easier to challenge. The conditions are illegal. Can any organisation therefore issue a contract which is in contravention of British Law? Is that a precedent that would benefit UK citizens in the long term - even if we might be in favour of this particular example?

Perhaps the 1995 Act would have been different had the waterways been as busy then as they are now.

My feeling - like it or not - is that we're in a period of transition. The new guidance/policy on movement , whilst not backed by law, is going to have an effect. In any hierarchy , it's much easier to push down than up. If I had to make a prediction, however, it would be that, as long as the law remains as it is, this initiative will soon be challenged in court and be ruled unfair and illegal. If it were to succeed, the wider implications would be too problematic for society.

The problem with fear tactics is that it usually only affects those who are reasonable. I agree with Jenlyn, the whole thing is a joke. I think it's a massive own goal for those who put pressure on CRT, but we'll have to wait and see.

But by definition all those with boats have something to lose.

Really?

Maybe in your world, but in the real world people do what they have to, to survive.

You may well be able to disassociate yourself from such mundane things, but some can't. They don't have choices.

Just received what looks like a standardised letter reminding us CC'ers that if we don't move enough we'll be subjected to short term trial licences until they assess whether we are complying . No distances mentioned but the two categories are :

1) Hardly moved - Three month trial licence

2) Moved but not enough - Six month trial licence

Can't quite see the difference in the 2 requirements (lol) but it says that if we don't comply we'll have to 'secure' a home mooring. Edited to say it does suggest that the licence won't be renewed in category 1 but it does go on to say they will get 3 months to prove themselves or get a home mooring.

I thought the trial letters and licence non-renewals are only going to NEW CCers, but soon they'll be expanded to all CCers?

But by definition all those with boats have something to lose.

...and what do you think would happen if it's their only home? Maybe find a nice warm boat to kip in...

I thought the trial letters and licence non-renewals are only going to NEW CCers, but soon they'll be expanded to all CCers?

I'm not a new CC'er if that helps.

When oh when will CRT join the 21st century???

I do find it most frustration that CRT are one of a very few organizations who still insist that we must have a postal address in order to communicate with us.

Why won't they realize it is more cost efficient for them to communicate with us via email & the fact that we would get their communications in a much more timely fashion.

For us, we have our mail forwarded to us only twice per year from a friend who collects it for us, from the very few organizations who still send us paper mail - CRT being the main one!

Could it be that a letter posted is deemed to be delivered (at least I think that is the legal situation) and you have no excuse email on the other hand isn't as reliable and much easier to claim it never reached you?